The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Can a Ruger GP141 fit this bill?

Is a 4" GP141, .357 adequate or unworkable for concealed carry? I'm of average build (80kg, or about 185lbs) and height. (5'10)

I may have found an "affordable" Ruger. One shop has a 6" and a 4" Ruger GP100. Both would cost €650

Any other sizes must come from another stockist and they are charging €900.

So I'm hoping the 4" makes for a realisic buy, as it would suit every purpose I have planned for it.
Old September 7, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Dragline45

I'm 5'9 185 and I tried to carry around my S&W 686 for a while when I first got my concealed carry and it just didnt work out. You are similar to my size and it was just way too big and heavy to carry comfortably let alone concealed. I now carry a S&W 640 in .38sp.
Old September 7, 2011, 03:11 PM   #3
markj

Quote:
and a 4" Ruger GP100. Both would cost €650
Is that apiece? or for both?
Old September 7, 2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

@ Markj

€650 each!

Welcome to the post -export, -import, -tax and profit margin price for a Ruger GP100 in Eastern Europe!
Old September 7, 2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

@ Dragline:

Shame about the difficulty in concealing. The only other revolver I've seen in .357 at the same price as that GP141, is used, ....

However, I can't quite manage to ignore a simple piece of marketing and consider getting a gun called the Lady Smith.

It would be the perfect size, but I just can't do it!!
Old September 7, 2011, 04:55 PM   #6
MLeake

Too bad, a lot of American shooters love the LadySmith .357.

If you don't need the barrel shroud, you can get the same basic gun - the Model 65 3" round butt.

I have a couple of those, but mostly carry their blue twin, the 3" Model 13, when I carry a revolver.

They do conceal more easily and comfortably than will the S&W L-frames or Ruger GP100.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Pond, James Pond

@ MLeake.

True. Perhaps I shouldn't be so shallow!!

I guess when I know that I can get a new Ruger for the same price of that Smith (albeit with only 500 rounds through it), I'm also a bit reticent: seems like less for the money. Daft, really, given it could meet my needs better...

A number of shooters here have also said that of the two the Ruger is more robust in design and construction...
Old September 7, 2011, 05:09 PM   #8
comn-cents

Pond, James Pond "as it would suit every purpose I have planned for it"

If that's the case buy it.
Almost any handgun is concealable with the correct holster and belt.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:32 PM   #9

It can be concealed but you'll have to tailor your wardrobe for it. Only you can answer how often you're going to be carrying and how far you're willing to go to accommodate it. The Lady Smith is a great gun but then you'll be trading off capacity, strength, and shootability.

Every gun is a compromise, that's why we have collections.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

@ 461

Regretting my earlier dismissiveness, can you clarify what you mean in terms of "you'll be trading off capacity, strength, and shootability".

I take it you mean the 5 round cylinder for capacity and the shorter barrel reducing shootability, but which strength may be compromised? Is the frame weaker?
Old September 7, 2011, 05:38 PM   #11
8shot357

Quote:
Almost any handgun is concealable with the correct holster and belt.
That's true, unless you live in the heat, where's light clothing will make it more of a challenge.

With a light, or heavy jacket would help, and with a shoulder holster you just have to deal with the weight. To me, ideal carry is something light and compacted, but were you are, you can't have your cake and eat it to.

Also that depends on how long your going to be carrying it. An hour or two is the longest I'd want to carry it (GP100 4"). But for all day, I'd want a small light .38 snub. Either way it's a compromise. Heavy powerful, or light not as much power, but still pretty good.

To me, if you can get, would be Ruger SP101 3" it's a .357/.38. Power and compactness. I just was pocket carrying mine the other day in my front pant's pocket. I forgot it was there. The grip did stick out a little, but my shirt covered it up. I think it would be the perfect compromise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun Ruger ST101 Brians 009.jpg (38.3 KB, 23 views)
Old September 7, 2011, 05:51 PM   #12
comn-cents

8shot357"That's true, unless you live in the heat"

or about anything else you can think of. I'm sure I can think of about 1000 reasons, but they are still concealable.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:53 PM   #13
MLeake

The LadySmith you are looking at... Is it a 60 or 65?

If the 65, it's 6-shot. The flattened lower portion of the forcing cone is reputed to not stand up well to extended shooting of very hot 125gr and 110gr magnum loads. However, I don't personally know anybody who has cracked a K-frame forcing cone.

The 3" K- frames are extremely well-balanced and quick-handling. Having owned them and two GP100s, I would say the 3" K's are faster out of the holster, and faster to first round on target; they also typically have better triggers. I usually shoot hot 158gr +P in my K's, but do mix in the occasional 158gr magnums.

The J-frame is smaller, lighter, and less robust. It is a 5-shot. Its light weight makes it quick to draw, but painful to shoot with magnums of any weight. Its trigger is typically heavy, exacerbated by reduced leverage provided by the smaller grip and lighter frame. It can be tuned, but will usually be harder to shoot well than those on the K or the GP.

The GP100 will handle any commercial .357 load, and the vast majority of .357 specialty loads, without trouble. The longer barrel (4" or 6") will provide more velocity, hence flatter trajectory, making it easier to shoot at longer distances. Its heavier weight makes it harder to carry, and a bit slower to bring on target, but makes recoil less painful and follow-up shots faster. The GP100 has a decent trigger, which is relatively easy to tune - as the internals are highly modularized - but which is typically not as good as the K-frame trigger.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:28 PM   #14
publius

You could do it, but I really doubt you will want to after you do it once. Too big and heavy.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:15 PM   #15
treg

Quote:
You could do it, but I really doubt you will want to after you do it once. Too big and heavy.
I agree. I have about 15 lbs and 2" height on you and I CCW'd my Security Six for a while. Even though it's smaller, lighter and has smaller grips than a GP it was too much for a dedicated CCW gun. It can be done but it soon becomes a PITA. My 2" Taurus M605 is much smaller and lighter. Small enough to not be in the way all the time and light enough to forget it's there.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:19 PM   #16
Webleymkv

A GP100 could be carried concealed comfortably, but you'll have to "dress around the gun" so to speak. If you can pull off IWB carry, that would probably be the most concealable option so long as you're using a top-quality holster and belt. I myself, however, cannot carry much of anything IWB comfortably. OWB is also doable with a good belt and holster, but you're going to have to wear a fairly large and long cover garment (coat, open button-down shirt, etc.) in order to conceal the gun. A shoulder rig would allow you to use a shorter cover garment, but a good quality shoulder rig can be quite expensive and you absolutely must have an open-front cover garment.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:42 AM   #17
Pond, James Pond

Well, at present, it seems ideal that concealed carry would not be something I'd opt for frequently: at work would be no-no in any case, and I wouldn't put a weapon against my person whilst riding my motorbike in the warmer months.

Less of a problem in the winter when I swap for my sidecar outfit, but still not something you want to land on if you have a prang...

Sp101: I had considered those, but these would be definitely more expensive, having to go to the main dealer at about €900.

The S&W Lady Smith looks to be a 5 shot: in the picture, I can only see two of those grooves on the cylinder.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:45 AM   #18
Webleymkv

Sounds like the Ladysmith you're looking at is a Model 60 (several different models such as the M65 revolver and 3913 Semi-Auto have been produced in Ladysmith variants over the years). Does the gun look like this?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
Old September 8, 2011, 01:05 AM   #19
Pond, James Pond

@Webley

Yep! The groove orientation matches what is on their website product image.

5 shot then...
Old September 8, 2011, 08:54 AM   #20
8shot357

Quote:
Sp101: I had considered those, but these would be definitely more expensive, having to go to the main dealer at about €900.
Wow, I'm not even going to tell you what I paid for a new SP, but I will say this. I paid less than that for each of my Performance center N-frames .357s. Count the grooves. X8

Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in,.....much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun S&W V-Comp pits M&P 001.jpg (53.3 KB, 11 views)
Old September 13, 2011, 07:31 AM   #21
WESHOOT2

I have, use, and wear a pair of KGP-141s.
So does my wife (how I ended up as WESHOOT2).

Mostly we use fanny packs. (But not always ).