The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 3, 2011, 08:59 AM   #1
graysmoke

F.E.G. 380 acp Pistol "Need Opinons"

I have been interested in the FEG .380acp Pistol. The SMC-380 model.
It is a very small frame pistol closely resembles the PPK. Has a steel slide and frame.
Made in Hungary, I do not know much about the quality reputation. If it is anything equal to the CZ's that come out of the Chech Republic.
Does anyone own, or have owned one of these pistols. And how do you like it.

Two concerns are reliablity, and is it one of those Eastern European Pistols that only prefer round nose FMJ loads?.

Last edited by graysmoke; September 3, 2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:11 PM   #2
NickySantoro

I have an FEG R61. .380. 6 round mag. After polishing the feed ramp, HPs go though it like grass through a goose. They may even have fed fine without the polish, but why take a chance when it is so easy to do with a dab of oil and some 400 emery paper. It's been 100% reliable and goes with me when I have to go to places I would prefer not to have to go. Trigger pull can be bitchy. Google "PA-63 trigger" for some tips on fixing that.

Last edited by NickySantoro; September 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old September 3, 2011, 03:49 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

The FEG quality reputation is good. (I own two FEG 9mm's)... The factory had a long history (over 100 years) but closed completely a few years ago. I've never shot an R61 .380 but have read generally good reports on the net. Of course, way down the road, parts availability is a concern and that won't help possible resale value... (but they might become somewhat desireable to collectors so it could be a toss-up). I didn't research parts interchangeability with similar .380's...

Interesting info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEG_PA-63

I googled "FEG smc .380" and got plenty of reading material...

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!

Last edited by CWKahrFan; September 3, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old September 4, 2011, 01:04 AM   #4
rc

Run the other way. I had the 9mm high power and found the parts had only a surface hardness and were soft internally. I endedd up selling the gun at a great loss.
Old September 4, 2011, 01:17 AM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
Run the other way. I had the 9mm high power and found the parts had only a surface hardness and were soft internally. I endedd up selling the gun at a great loss.
I got news for ya. Some of the older T series Belgian Hi-Powers use fairly soft steel, too.