The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 1, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1
HogManMagnum

SP-01 Mags in Pre-B CZ 75

So I picked up a sweet little CZ 75 Pre-B not too long ago, but it only came with one magazine. The only Pre-B mags I've found run for about $80 and it seems that standard CZ 75 mags usually don't fit the Pre-B models.

I keep reading that the mags for the CZ SP-01 work perfectly on the Pre-B's, but I don't know if they are a flush fit. Since the SP-01 mag is higher capacity than the original CZ, I'm wondering how it would look, specially since I know the SP-01 mags have the rubber butt-pad, but I haven't seen any pictures of a Pre-B with a SP-01 mag inserted, with or without the butt-pad.

Any Pre-B owners out there that use SP-01 mags? Is it a sure fit? Does it need 'adjusting'? Is it flush? I'd gladly pay $50 for the higher capacity SP-01 mag but not if it doesn't look right...
Old September 1, 2011, 02:05 PM   #2
railroader

I have heard czusa has pre b mags. You might want to give them a call. Mark
Old September 2, 2011, 07:39 AM   #3
HogManMagnum

I will, thanks, Mark. But I'm still curious about the fit on the SP-01 mags, if I could get a flush fitting mag with a greater capacity that would be sweet.
Old September 2, 2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

The mag channel in Pre-Bs is tighter near the top than on the later guns.

As far as I know -- and I'm pretty in touch on this topic -- there's really no such thing as a pre-B mag. There are just factory-made (or factory delivered) 10 and 15 round mags. Any of the factory (OEM) 10 or 15 rounders should work fine in the pre-Bs. CZ and a number of different suppliers made those mags; I've had some PRO-MAG 10-rounders that came in a CZ factory wrapper, that worked perfectly in a pre-B. The springs held up, too. Still have one or two, I think. Made to CZ specs, they were, in effect, CZ mags.

But Mec-Gar 15-rounders sold in the after-market will likely be a problem with a pre-B. The later 16+ mags that come with the gun are made to a slightly different spec, and I'd be surprised if they fit in the pre-Bs. Ditto the 16+ rounders sold directly by Mec-Gar. I think they all use the new design "tube" with different followers (and, maybe, different base plate.)

Don't expect the higher capacity mag springs to last as long, if you keep them fully loaded. Most of them use the same springs as the 10-rounders, and that's a lot of extra compression and work for the same spring.

Many of the Tanfoglio mags will work find in a pre-B, so take your gun to a gun show and hunt around.

A better alternative: a competent gunsmith can open up the top of the mag column in the grip a bit for a reasonable fee, making this a non-problem in the future. That will probably cost you less than paying $80 for a single mag, and you'll never have to worry, again about mag compatibility. In fact, you may be able to do it yourself, with a Dremel, and the stuff you can put on mags (or other gun parts) to show where they're "catching."

I'd be surprised if CZ-USA has any pre-B mags.

They charge an arm and a leg for new mags, that you can buy from other sources for half the price; I'd hate to think what they'd charge for NEW older ones.

I've had a number of pre-Bs, and finally gave up on them -- while the triggers ARE better, you can get "B" triggers to be pretty darned good, and there's never an issue about parts or warranty. I(There are a few parts in some pre-B models that are getting hard to find, and if they break, you can be up the creek.

(Safety-lever parts can be an issue on some of the early pre-Bs, if yours has the little hole in it, be careful disassembling it. Use a pin to capture the spring inside. I don't think that safety can be adapted to use the newer design. Sights are also an issue -- with older guns using a different method and dovetail.)

I do like the way the trigger-guard on the pre-Bs look compared to the newer models. I almost bought one of the "B" series "RETRO" models that came out a few years back, because it was prettier than the standard B model. <grin>.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; September 2, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old September 3, 2011, 08:33 AM   #5
railroader

Here's the link on pre B mags. https://shop.cz-usa.com/SearchByKeyword.aspx?word=pre+b
Old September 3, 2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

That's a reasonable price on the the pre-B 16-round mags. I'd be tempted if I still had a pre-B.

(Good to see that link. New to me. Thanks.)
Old September 7, 2011, 09:14 AM   #7
HogManMagnum

railroader,

Thanks for the link. Now you have me doubting myself. I could have sworn I checked the CZ USA site a few months ago and they didn't have the mags or the front sight available. I'm almost positive I checked with them because I received the gun with no front sight and had a bear of a time finding a factory replacement. (The GB seller didn't realize the gun was missing the front sight and I missed it in the pics. To the seller's credit they recognized their mistake and promptly reimbursed me for the work.)

I might have to pick up a mag from them, $43 isn't that bad a price for a new factory 16 rounder.

Walt Sherrill,

Thanks for the tips. I bought the Pre-B mainly as a project gun/collection piece (Czechoslovakia), so I'm not too concerned about the parts issue. I will keep in mind what you said about the Pro-Mags and the Tanfoglio mags next time I'm at a show.