The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2011, 07:00 AM   #1
adbramsay

Tristar shotguns...any good?

anyone had any experience with Tristar shotguns. It is a new line that we have started to carry and want to hear what people think. are they a good gun or just crap, they are pretty cheap and feel pretty cheap, but that is just how they feel, how are they from a performance aspect. cause a mitsubishi evo feels cheap and looks cheap but goes like stink, so I am wondering if it is a case similar to that.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:40 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

The difference is cars have to meet DOT standards and guns just have to pass proof testing (that is a pressure test on the barrel). And it all depends on the country of origin -- thier standards and quality control.

There are reports of guns from Turkey that had soft locking bolts, you could shoot 1-2 box's of shells before they failed.
I'm not saying this is the same but usually quality of metal and fit/finish go hand in hand.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:57 AM   #3
schutzen

TriStar

My son and I each bought one last fall to use duck hunting. They go bang everytime you pull the trigger and kill ducks. That being said, we have only put 2-3 boxes of 3" magnum 12 ga. shells through each gun. They may fail this season, but we may also tip our duck boat over. If we do and we loose 2Tristar's we will be unhappy, but we will not be crying like we had lost 2 Benelli's.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:59 AM   #4
dalegribble

i have had the tristar viper 12 ga semi auto for a couple of years now without a problem. it is the shorter home protection version and i am very happy with it, no problems, have put a few hundred rounds thru it.
Old September 1, 2011, 10:33 AM   #5
klcmschlesinger

Heard good things....

Two guys I know have had TriStars for a couple of years. They use them pretty rough and haven't had any issues. I don't know how long they will last but for two years of hard use, they do pretty good. Like Shutzen said if you tip the boat and lose a TriStar you don't cry as hard as if you lost your Benelli. I've seen these guys use their old 870's to row the boat, so TriStar is probably as fancy as they will ever buy.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old September 1, 2011, 10:45 AM   #6
BigJimP

One of the managers at Cabelas told me last season ....they were getting a lot of them back for warranty issues...but as far as I know they were being repaired..and I didn't get any details on what the issues were ...but some of it was ribs coming off, trigger problems ( both barrels doubling - on one trigger pull) ....fairly typical issues on a lot of the Turkish guns.

I think they're probably worth a look as a low usage gun - with a good 5 year warranty. I wouldn't consider them a good option for a long term "target grade" gun ...like one of the higher end models from Browning or Beretta...where you're going to expect 250,000 shell or more usage with no problems ...but that's a whole different price point around $ 3,000.
Old September 1, 2011, 04:23 PM   #7
bjh

I have the tristar tactical cobra force 12ga pump, i enjoy it alot.

if that helps any
Old September 1, 2011, 07:01 PM   #8
adbramsay

just got them in the store a few months back and have sold well for the price. here in the bahamas we have to pay 80% duty on the guns and another 7% for stamp tax so we basically have to sell guns at twice the US price so guns here are a big investment. we have not had any problems yet but just wanted to get a basic idea of what everyone thought. dove, pigeon, duck, and quail season start next month and I want to know how many problems to expect. thanks everyone.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:46 PM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
they are pretty cheap and feel pretty cheap,
Seems you answered your own question