The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2011, 09:07 PM   #1
qqq1

S&W Sigma 40VE premature slide lock

I've had my Sigma 40VE for a couple years now and have found it to be a pretty good gun in general. Lately though I've noticed with any of my 3 magazines, any ammo, I'm getting an occasional ftf. It will lock open like the magazine is empty. Happens with different amounts of rounds left in the magazines. Nothing is jammed, I can just pull it back or hit the button to get it ready to fire again. Other then a basic cleaning I don't know what to do to try to fix it up. I did take apart the magazines and clean them also. Something fairly easy I can try? Bring it to a smith? Send it in?

*I think I was wrong on what I was calling my problem. I think "premature slide locking" is what I'm experiencing.

Last edited by qqq1; September 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old September 4, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2
stoney64

since it's all 3 mags it's probably not them and Sigma mags are really solid but I would buy or borrow a new mag just to eliminate the easiest fix and if that doesn't do it I'm sure someone on the forum will have another fix for you.
Old September 4, 2011, 09:34 PM   #3
phatspeed7x

I own a sigma 9mm, and have 4 magazines for it. I've never had a FTF with the gun in over 2K rounds. If the problem keeps up, give S&W a call. They will hook ya up. They do have a lifetime warranty.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:32 PM   #4
chack

have you disassembled and cleaned your magazines?

Have you done a detail strip on the pistol?
Old September 4, 2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Sarge

Have you changed your shooting grip recently?
Old September 4, 2011, 11:15 PM   #6
qqq1

Yup, already said I cleaned the magazines and I do basic cleanings on the gun. Pretty much just remove the slide, barrel, clean off anything I can get to. I don't know how to break it down more then that to really scrub everything clean.

My grip shouldn't be any different.
Old September 4, 2011, 11:24 PM   #7
TheNocturnus

Quote:
I'm getting an occasional ftf. It will lock open like the magazine is empty. Happens with different amounts of rounds left in the magazines. Nothing is jammed, I can just pull it back or hit the button to get it ready to fire again.
I'm confused, do you mean FTF as in "fail to fire" or "fail to feed"?

If it is a feeding issue, you might try polishing the feed ramp. Also it could be an ammo issue, what types of rounds are you firing?
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 4, 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
qqq1

Fail to feed is my issue, I think. While shooting the slide locks back like the magazine is empty but I could have any number of rounds left in it. A pull on the slide or push of the slide button gets it to continue on. It happens whether the magazines are fully loaded or only a few rounds put in.

I mostly shoot the winchester white box stuff. I also had the problem with some federal (I think) and just yesterday testing some hornady rounds. The wwb ammo has worked flawlessly up until the last 2-3 months. Walmart was carrying something else at first that I cant remember but it also worked without issue. I even shot some steel cased stuff without issue. Until recently anything I fed it seemed to work fine.

Is there anything I can give it a bath in to try to do a complete cleaning since I'm not comfortable trying to strip each little part out?

I will check out the feed ramp on it.

*Ok, I just realized that this isn't a feed problem at all, right? It's not a problem sliding a round into the barrel. What would you call this problem?

Premature slide lock? That sounds exactly like my issue.

Last edited by qqq1; September 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old September 5, 2011, 12:41 AM   #9
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Premature slide lock? That sounds exactly like my issue.
Hmmm, possibly. Is your slide lock stiff or is it loose? I guess maybe that when you fire a round the slide lock may pop up, if it's loose, and subsequently lock your slide unintentionally.

When it does this, is the slide lock holding the slide in place or is the slide just floating there? If it's floating there then the only thing preventing it from moving forward, I think, would be the next round up for duty.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 5, 2011, 12:50 AM   #10
Discern

Is your thumb pushing the slide lock up?
Old September 5, 2011, 01:04 AM   #11
qqq1

I pulled off the slide, turned the gun upside down and shook it as hard as I could. The slide lock doesn't seem to be moving on its own. It's certainly not hard to push it up with my finger but I don't hear it even rattling a little when shaken hard.

When it happens the slide is locked back properly. I can pull the slide by hand or use the button to chamber the next round and continue firing.

I shouldn't be pushing the lock with my thumb. At least I wasn't doing it for the couple previous years I had it. I will specifically check next time I'm out.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Rugerismisticness

I've never had a jam from mine, and I've got around 3000 through my .40VE. I'd first replace the slide lock spring, I'm fairly sure that's your problem.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Don Glock

you could be contacting the slide stop during firing.

however, i had an this issue with an m&p i used to own, i was not contacting the slide stop. 3 trips back to s&w didn't fix it either. ended up selling it to fund a 1911 purchase, so i didn't press the issue.