The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 29, 2011, 06:32 PM   #1
capitan-d

Sig P226 - Recoil & Guide Rods

Would changing out the factory plastic guide rod with a stainless one make a noticeable difference in handling or recoil?

Does anyone have experience with these dual-spring type guide rods? Worth the cost?

http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

or

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/sig-sauer-p225-9mm.html

Thanks
Old August 29, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
WVsig

I personally like the solid guide rods the factory hollow for non-carry guns but always I stick to factory springs.

Pass on the 2 in your links.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old August 29, 2011, 06:49 PM   #3
BeachHead

The EFK unit I bought for my P226 .40sw was crap. Don't buy it. It was nearly impossible to rack the slide to chamber a new round, and it rattles around like crazy when you shake the gun in all directions, indicating the rod/spring assembly wasn't properly seated. Every shot I fired resulted in a FTF. That was $80 wasted.

If you're interested in a recoil-reducing rod/spring system, I'd try http://www.dpmsystemsonline.com

If not, I'd stick with the factory set-up.
Old August 29, 2011, 08:39 PM   #4
insaneranger

What does SIG offer? My P229/.40 came from the factory with a solid carbon steel guide rod, not hollow. They may have what you're looking for in their shop & you'll have a reliable set up. The stainless guide rods look good, but are mostly for "bling".
Old August 29, 2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Hammerhead

I've never noticed a difference in recoil between guide rods.
Just an FYI, Grey Guns (Sig gunsmith) doesn't recommend the Sprinco dual spring system for Sig P series due to wear or stress.
Old August 29, 2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Keep in mind that some metal guide rods may be HARDER than the alloy of the frame, and can cause some wear -- that wouldn't be covered by warranty -- if it's not a factory part for that model.

A number of gun makers use materials other than steel with alloy-framed guns, and it may be for a good reason...
Old August 29, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

Save you money on the dual spring setup. The plastic guide rods work but they are subject to breaking eventually. A steel rod is much better in my opinion. Stainless or blued carbon steel works. You will pay more for the stainless but I don't think it will work any better then a carbon steel one will work.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:27 PM   #8
BarryLee

I thought about replacing the factory guide rod and everyone I spoke with said, “leave it alone SIG knows what they’re doing”. There is of course a good bit of wisdom in this statement, but even SIG offers upgrade services through their Custom Shop. The availability of these services leads me to believe that even they agree that a stock pistol can be improved on to some extent.

So, out of curiosity has anyone ever had a SIG or any other brand for that matter break a factory guide rod?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 30, 2011, 03:10 AM   #9
Jeff OTMG

I originally ran the Haarts reducers that worked, but the effectiveness depended on the orientation of the muzzle prior to shooting. I have since switched everything I could over to the Sprinco. The thing to remember is don't try to feel it work. Grip the gun and shoot it. You will feel the difference. Our own Stephen Camp was a big fan of the Sprinco.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:22 AM   #10
10mm4ever

These "recoil reducers" are a waste of $$$ IMO. They simply change your perception of recoil by spreading it out into two stages. Try different spring rates if you want to experiment a bit.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:12 AM   #11
loose_holster_dan

i've never changed out guide rods before, but i have changed out the guide rod springs in a few models, and never seem to get any noticeable drop in recoil. the only spring i've ever noticed give me any improvement is the hammer spring. that can make your pull much more fluid.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 30, 2011, 08:12 AM   #12
capitan-d

It appears sig does make one-
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-953905

So installing a stainless guide rod from a non-sig manufacturer will void my warranty?
Old August 30, 2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
So installing a stainless guide rod from a non-sig manufacturer will void my warranty?
I suspect there'd only be a problem if there is damage related to the after-market guide rod. (You can always keep your old one and install it if you have to send it back to SIG for warranty work unrelated to the frame or guide rod.)

CZ has warned against using steel guide rods in their alloy-framed compact guns, and said they have seen SOME wear on the receiver stop -- the point where the base of the guide rod rests during recoil -- in their gun. In that case, they could refuse to repair the frame.

The fact that SIG has a steel guide rod available suggest that they aren't concerned about the mismatch of metal hardnesses.

Get the SIG guide rod if you can't live with what came in it!
Old August 30, 2011, 10:31 AM   #14
WVsig

People like Gray Guns & Bedair have been making solid steel guide rods for years. I have one on my P226. I have had them in P220s, P228s and P225s with Zero issues.

I would check out Gray Guns.... https://shop.grayguns.com/index.php?...a9627c730e074f
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old August 30, 2011, 01:53 PM   #15
federali

My experience with SIGs is with the 226 and 228, These guns are super reliable and widely used in law enforcement, as is. I don't think you would feel any difference in felt recoil. Whatever difference there is would be theoretical.
Old August 30, 2011, 04:15 PM   #16
sgms

Try going to the Sig Custom Shop web site and see what they have or can do. They aren't real high dollar and will not void the warranty. Had them do a AEP ,action enhancement package, on my 226. It handles much nicer because of reduced trigger pull, there is no change in the recoil though. I paid around 170.00 for the package, more than the guide rod yes but, I got a lot for the money.
Old September 8, 2011, 08:50 PM   #17
capitan-d

Quote:
Keep in mind that some metal guide rods may be HARDER than the alloy of the frame, and can cause some wear -- that wouldn't be covered by warranty -- if it's not a factory part for that model.

A number of gun makers use materials other than steel with alloy-framed guns, and it may be for a good reason...
The frame actually has a steel block or insert. The takedown lever and trigger are pinned through the alloy frame and then through this block/insert as well. It is also what the guide rod comes into contact with. I feel much more comfortable installing a stainless guide rod after seeing this.
Old September 10, 2011, 09:42 AM   #18
chuckles

I have SiG solid Stainless GRs in both my P226 and P220ST. Both function without issue. Mine are SiG guide rods. I never saw or felt any difference in handling or recoil.