The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 27, 2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Maxem0815

Best Possible .32 auto defense ammo

Hi all i have been pondering a question about the best possible self defense ammo for a .32 auto. I have several nice antique and early 70's in my collection and my wife just received her CCW license and wants to use a .32.
Any good suggestions?
Mace
Old August 27, 2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

There will be lots of opinions on this, but most will agree that penetration on the .32 can be questionable. With that said, many will opt to go with a FMJ round over HP to get the best penetration possible.

My buddy carries a .32 and uses Fiochhi ammo which I believe is supposed to be loaded a little hotter than some of the other brands out there.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I looked at, shot, and carried this and that .32 JHP but eventually concluded that the little gun needed penetration more than expansion.
I now load Fiocchi FMJ because it is higher velocity than US .32ACP.
Old August 27, 2011, 07:31 AM   #4
PSP

I've carried Winchester Silver Tip for many years with zero problems. I also like Gold Dot and Hornady. I've found the Fiocchi's soft tip HP may deform and the Corbon has had quality issues, therefore I avoid them. This is my experience in my Seecamp, the only .32acp I carry.

In my other fun .32 guns, I shoot a good bit of S&B ball ammo. It feeds and fires reliably. I've had some pistol prone to rimlock and the S&B is one brand that lessened this problem.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Brian48

Like the .380, I'd probably opt for the hottest FMJ that will cycle reliably out of this gun. When it gets down to such small calibers at such low velocities, I just don't trust JHPs on several levels.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:30 AM   #6
graysmoke

I believe if your going to own or carry a concealed handgun. Have something worth the stopping power and capability.

I would never carry less than a .380 caliber handgun.

Real small calibers like the .22 .25 .32 are good for target plinking.
Old August 27, 2011, 03:09 PM   #7
dsk

Why is it that nobody can ask a simple question about any caliber below 9mm without starting that whole debate all over again?
Old August 27, 2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Te Anau

I use Geco FMJ's in my P-32.I believe they are 71 grains.
Old August 27, 2011, 03:31 PM   #9
steelbird

Buffalo Bore makes a hot .32 - it may be too hot for some guns though, and I don't trust claims of power untill I chrono them myself. Nevertheless, it's worth looking into.
Old August 27, 2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

I prefer Winchester flat tip. You get penetration. Not quite so much as FMJ, but better then any hollow point. The price isn't nearly as high as HP ammo is either so you can practice with it too. It also feeds well in every .32 pistol I have tried it in. It isn't a real hot load so it should work well in most pistols too.
Old August 27, 2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I use Geco FMJ's in my P-32.
Same here, about the hottest there is for .32 ACP. If I knew about a reliably expanding HP, I would use that if available.
Old August 27, 2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

I use Silvertips.
Old August 27, 2011, 05:16 PM   #13
SHNOMIDO

Hornady Critical Defense maybe?

Personally, I'd either go with the critical defense or buffalo bore. Or your FMJ of choice.

I am i member of the .380 camp though. I think theres reasonable offerings in 9mm pocket pistols!
Old August 27, 2011, 06:18 PM   #14
insaneranger

While a .32 would be far from my first defense caliber choice, any pistol is much better than non. Cor-bon makes a good .32 round you might check out.

Now that I think about it, I actually do own one .32 caliber. She might not look like much, but she packs a punch up close & ammos cheap. It's kinda hard to conceal though.

Old August 27, 2011, 08:07 PM   #15
orionengnr

FMJ.
Old August 27, 2011, 08:50 PM   #16
mavracer

I've done quite a bit of testing of 32 ammo. Corbon tends to shed its jacket and doesn't always penatrate well. Golddots, Silvertips and hydrashoks are enemic only chrono'd 800 fps from my Seecamp. I setteled on Fiocchi 60gr SJHP it runs about 1000fps from my Seecamp and the while jacket is too thick to expand the large section of exposed lead flatens out just a little bigger than bullet diameter and it penatrates very well.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 27, 2011, 10:04 PM   #17
dsk

I also prefer to stay with FMJ, but not so much for the penetration issue (I doubt a .32 JHP will expand much anyway, if at all). The biggest problem with this caliber is with rimlock. The shorter OAL of a JHP round will allow the cartridges to shift back and forth inside the mag, and since the .32ACP uses a semi-rimmed case the top cartridge rim could slip behind the one below it and cause a nose-down stoppage during feeding. If you stay with FMJ the cartridges are usually too long to shift around too much inside the magazine and cause rimlock.
Old August 27, 2011, 10:59 PM   #18
engineer88

The 73grain Fiocci fmj is the way to go in my opinion. Be careful though, the bullet itself is ever so slightly bulbous. Due to that I had issues in an NAA guardian. Put a couple of boxes through her choice in carry and then load her up and let her go if they all feed reliably.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:08 PM   #19
michael t

Corbon has DPX in 32 now. If you shooting water jugs a lot of ammo shed its jacket . I have always carried Corbon in my P-32 .
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old August 27, 2011, 11:18 PM   #20
Jim243

Quote:
Why is it that nobody can ask a simple question about any caliber below 9mm without starting that whole debate all over again?

Because a big sharp knife would be a better defensive weapon.

Jim
Old August 27, 2011, 11:34 PM   #21
Don Glock

especially with a small round like .32acp, penetration is far more important than a tiny bit of expansion. get the heaviest fmj load you can find.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:35 PM   #22
raftman

Quote:
Because a big sharp knife would be a better defensive weapon.
Would have to be a pretty big knife indeed, big enough to stab someone 7 or 8 times from more than 20 feet away.

In regards to the OP, S&B FMJ would would probably be a good way to go.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:40 PM   #23
Webleymkv

I prefer either Fiocchi or S&B 73gr FMJ because those are the hottest non-expanding loadings commonly available. In a small caliber like .32 ACP, a non-expanding bullet is the best choice to ensure adequate penetration.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:57 PM   #24
svaz

I alternate Corbons & Fiocchi 73gr. The Corbons are snappy but I'm not counting on expansion to save the day, hence the hot ball ammo which the charts say has the most ft/lbs (can't find Gecco anywhere).

OTOH, the Seacamp was built around the Silvertip - but I'm not using a Seacamp.
Old August 28, 2011, 12:14 AM   #25
T. O'Heir

"...Winchester Silvertip..." Yep. They are HP's. It's not about penetration with wee calibres. It's about expansion. An FMJ doesn't expand.
"...a big sharp knife would be a better defensive weapon..." Didn't anybody tell you not to take a knife to a gun fight?
"...big enough to stab someone 7 or 8 times from..." That'd be a pike.