The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 23, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1
oilcan72

Smith & Wesson SD 9 problem

Hello All,

My wife just purchased a new Smith & Wesson SD 9 about 2 months ago, we went to the range the other day and the trigger pull was extremely hard and she had a hard time staying on target. Is there a way to adjust the trigger pull? I tried it myself and was amazed at how difficult it was to hit with. Should I just dump it for something else or is there hope?

Thanks,

oilcan72
Old August 23, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2
18DAI

Sigma 2.0 The fanboys say the trigger on the SD's and M&P's "smoothes out after 1000 rounds". You could put a snap cap in and dry fire it a few hundred times....if you can still dry fire S&W pistols without breaking them. Check the manual first.

Too bad S&W can't make a decent trigger anymore.

Were I you, I'd dump it for a S&W 915 or trade it on a Walther PPQ 9mm if your wife wants a polymer striker fired pistol. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.
Old August 23, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

Geez. someone seems bitter.

If anything, the SD series is more like a Sigma 3.0... but I think it's better than that. Sure, it's no M&P, but it's still a good gun. Smith & Wesson also stands behind their products 100% with a lifetime warranty.

If I were you, I'd just give S&W a call and explain your problem. I'd bet you case of beer that they'll send you a prepaid shipping label and gladly take the gun in to have it looked at. Maybe something in the trigger is out of spec. They'll probably even give you a complimentary trigger job.

Some people still get down on S&W over some of their political moves back in the day... but they're a damn good company these days with top notch customer service.

For what it's worth, I own several guns from Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, Glock, Sig, HK, Walther, and Ruger. I have no myopic viewpoints and I'm not a fanboy (except for maybe Sigs. )
Old August 23, 2011, 02:33 PM   #4
18DAI

No, not "bitter" at all. Just saddened to see what passes for a S&W semi auto these days. Overhyped, overpriced, striker fired junk with lousy gritty triggers.

My 3913, 4566, 4506-1, 645, PC CQB 45, 915, 910, 5906, 5906SSV, Shorty 45, 4513TSW all had decent triggers right out of the box. I have never needed to send a NIB S&W back to the factory - for anything.

Then again I have not purchased a S&W made after 2001. I have shot a bunch of them. Not one was worth buying, to me. Expectations seem to have fallen quite a bit as to what one should get/expect for their money. Regards 18DAI.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
bdb benzino

My SD trigger pull is awesome, way better than a Sigma. I think it is as good or better than a Glock with the aftermarket trigger in. I don't see how anyone that is familiar with revolvers would have any problem with either.
Love my SD.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:33 PM   #6
daferg2

The trigger on the SD9 is not in any way/shape/form as hard or gritty as the trigger on the Sigma, and to say the SD9 is "Sigma 2.0" is just plain ridiculous IMHO, unless you mean that it is reliable and a good value (I doubt that what you meant).
I own and shoot both guns (along with an M&P and other S&Ws), so I do have more than a little knowledge of the subject. I don't know what the problem is with the OP's example, but it must have some sort of malfunction binding it up.
Old August 24, 2011, 11:57 AM   #7
oilcan72

i'm not sure what is wrong with the trigger either I could undestand a stiff trigger being brand new, but this is beyond stiff and just plain difficult. I won't bet my beer but I will try giving them a call. I own a 642 airweight never had a lick of trouble with it.

Thanks for everyones input.

oilcan72
Old August 24, 2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Overhyped, overpriced, striker fired junk with lousy gritty triggers.
I have yet to get an M&P with a lousy, gritty trigger. I currently have three, and all three triggers were better out of the box than any Glock I used to own. And I haven't even thought about adding the Apex stuff, either. Triggers are crisp, resets are positive. What's not to like?

On the other hand, the super-smooth trigger on my DAO 4586...now that's heaven!

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old August 24, 2011, 08:55 PM   #9
bdb benzino

Oilcan72,

It sounds like there is an issue with your SD, S&W will take great care of you. Just contact them and you will be on your way to getting it fixed. Good luck.