The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 12, 2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Venom1956

CZ 527 in 7.62x39... What a sweetheart.

Went into a local shop im not a huge fan of that low and behold they have this gem.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-car...2x39-5-rd-mag/

Except this one had the barrel band sling mount on it not the stock swivel. Old stock perhaps?

Anyway oh man so short and tight on the shoulder, irons just perfect and a nice single stack detachable mag? in a cheap CF caliber that can take game easily to 100 yards? probably more. ( that comment was scoffed @ by the counter guy.)

Man it was a hard gun to leave there. Anyone else wanna give it some love?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:38 PM   #2
gyvel

I just bought a CZ 550FS in .270, and it's also a real sweetheart.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Wyosmith

You should go back and buy it.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Colt46

We hunt with too much rifle

Most of us could hunt deer sized game out to 150-200 yds for the rest of our days without need to carry a heavier, harder recoiling rifle.
I'd like to see a 6.5 mm micro action cartridge on this platform.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Venom1956

Quote:
You should go back and buy it.
If only I could. Money is still tight and honestly giving him business would be hard. I'm hitting my normal stomping grounds tomorrow (favorite gun shop). If its gone after I return so be it perhaps they can get me one @ my store.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
Old August 13, 2014, 12:16 AM   #6
chris in va

I love mine, well worth the price. Many guns have come and gone but it still remains. I've even tried a red dot and scope but keep coming back to the irons. Like you said, quick to shoulder and inexpensive to shoot.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:38 AM   #7
bamaranger

+1

Don't have a CZ, but I have a very early Ruger 77MKII in x39mm that is an ideal woods rifle for deer and such. Stainless/synthetic, 20" tube, carries like a dream. Scoped with a Leupold 2-7x, it weighs about 6-1/4 pounds, carries like a .22. Use/abuse resistant, easy to shoot.....agree, an x39mm bolt is a dream.

Colt46 is on target, most of the time many of us could hunt with a bunch less rifle.

Regards the laughing counterman, my x39 bolt laid low the biggest whitetail I have yet collected, weigh 185lbs+, 5 -1/2 yr old, and knocking on the door of Boone and Crockett. The x39 delivers near if not equal 30-30 performance, in tidy little bolt rifles!
Old August 13, 2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

got one on my "to buy" list... have a 22 Hornet, & 223 CZ bolt rifle & love both of those... only reason I'm dragging my feet, is 1st... I'm out of space, would need to sell another CZ / BRNO rifle to make room... 2nd... is the cost... I spend a lot of money on shooting sport right now... the lil CZ hasn't made it to the top of the list yet... 3rd... I already load close to 75 different calibers, but while I have 2 7.62 X 39 rifles, I'm content to shoot those with steel cased ammo, rather than hunt down auto ejected cases... if I bought the CZ bolt rifle, I'd have to get a set of dies & start reloading... since it's on my list, I've starting picking up PRVI reloadable cartridges here & there, & saving them for the bolt rifle... could always shoot them in one of the semi's in a pinch, but they have a place in the Czech rifle section
Old August 13, 2014, 08:39 AM   #9
USMC 77-81

I would scoff at the counter guy. I routinely carry a Mini 30 when deer hunting for 2 reasons. The Russian service cartridge is perfectly adequate for deer out to about 150 yards and I prefer an auto loader because we have critters around here that can get me. The CZ looks very compact and would probably carry well in the field.
Old August 13, 2014, 09:21 AM   #10
sirgilligan

I have it in .223 REM. I choose that caliber because I have other rifles the same. If I had a 7.62x39 I would have bought it in that caliber without hesitation. There is some strange stigma to the cartridge that comes from it being fired from AK-47 type rifles, and that stigma is that it is inaccurate. It is not the cartridges fault.
If you find your back is up against a wall, maybe you have been backing up for too long.
Old August 14, 2014, 02:55 PM   #11
gyvel

CZ makes fine products, but Czechs have always been proficient in the manufacture of well-made guns, even if some of the designs left a little to be desired. In fact, many designs attributed as coming from Austria were actually designed by Czechs when Czechoslovakia was part of Austria-Hungary.
Old August 14, 2014, 05:14 PM   #12
precision_shooter

If I found a used one at a decent price, I might consider it. CZ makes nice rifles, but that particular one is not worth the $700 price, at least not to me...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 14, 2014, 05:19 PM   #13
gyvel

Quote:
If I found a used one at a decent price, I might consider it. CZ makes nice rifles, but that particular one is not worth the $700 price, at least not to me...
Even Bud's is selling CZ rifles for close to the $800.00mark. Current MSRP is over $800.00, so I would say it's not a bad deal.

Venom, if you want that gun, grab it before someone else does. My theory is that, when you spend that kind of money, it's like dropping a pebble in a pond; There will be ripples, but the ripples eventually disappear, and life will proceed as normal when they do.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:30 PM   #14
zeke

Have one of these, and it is extremely functional. Excellent accuracy, even with older Barnual hp's. Easy 1.5 inch groups with the Barnual, better with handloads where the bullet may be seated out further.

Mine has the standard swivel on the stock, and even temporarily mounted a bipod on it, for out to 400 yds.

Talked the Gander Mt (Eau Claire) guy down in price by $50, but that was several years ago. Ask to see the target that comes with, remembering it probably can be bettered.

$700 seems steep, but have not been paying attention to prices.

Put an older Leupold 2x8x36 vari-x3 scope on it, with mildot reticle (changed by factory).
Old August 20, 2014, 09:19 PM   #15
Venom1956

Welp. I put it on hold until Monday... Now I have the dilemma if I should get rid of a model Remington 7400 that I have for a partial trade...

I didn't buy it I just sort of got it because I was 'man enough' for a 30-06... I've never liked the thing and it just sits and gathers dust they'll give me 300 to 350 towards the CZ on trade.

I'd appreciate feed back. I expected far less in trade but tbh for half or a bit more... Seems like a great deal. Just conflicted. I usually just keep stuff.
Old August 20, 2014, 10:25 PM   #16
gyvel

Quote:
I'd appreciate feed back. I expected far less in trade but tbh for half or a bit more... Seems like a great deal. Just conflicted. I usually just keep stuff.
Remington 7400s are pretty reliable guns, but they do have some small problems which you can Google.

Off hand, with a generous trade-in like that, I'm wondering why you don't have the CZ at home right now.
Old August 21, 2014, 12:37 AM   #17
Venom1956

Didnt have the 7400 with me. tbh. Now im just sitting and pondering while I wait.
Old August 21, 2014, 07:02 AM   #18
smee78

If I found a used one at a good price I dont think I could pass on it. I enjoy the round and am also about to start reloading for it, I also built a AR for it and so far it shoots great (I built the AR to hunt with).
Old August 21, 2014, 06:46 PM   #19
Unlicensed Dremel

Sounds sweet. Never had a 527 but fixing to get on in .17 (Hornady) Hornet.

Also may be getting a 550FS in 6.5x55
Old August 21, 2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Jack O'Conner

I have an old USAF retired buddy who lives and hunts in northern Virginia. He shoots stacks of does each year with his CZ carbine in 7.62 X 39mm. The region is loaded with deer and many farmers share depredation tags with hunters. The cartridge is deadly with broadside chest shots every time. My buddy told me he hunts with Winchester soft tip ammo.

This Russian designed cartridge does not have an abundance of power beyond say 125 yards or so. But this is not a handicap to my buddy. He delivers the deer to a "Hunters for the Hungry" program. It's a very good program for sharing venison.

Jack
Old August 21, 2014, 07:02 PM   #21
rightside

I'm a big fan of the little 7.62x39. I built an AR in it and it is a sweet shooter. Having said that, I've always wanted the 527. Seems like the perfect little woods gun. The 7400 is known to have some irreversible wear problems. I'd definitely do that deal!
Old August 21, 2014, 08:15 PM   #22
reynolds357

Hard to believe they have wood that pretty on a rifle with that MSRP. Guessing its dealer cost is just under $500.
Old August 21, 2014, 08:21 PM   #23
reynolds357

I have a CZ550 American. If I remember correctly MSRP on it at the time was $775. I paid $500 cash for it out the door. It was new. It was special order.
Old August 21, 2014, 11:41 PM   #24
dakota.potts

Can someone explain to me the allure of a bolt gun in a 7.62X39mm?

I love CZs, and I love my VZ 58 for what it is, but I never considered the cartridge to have good enough accuracy or ballistics to justify an expensive rifle in that chambering.

I'm not a hunter though and I see a lot of references to "woods guns" so I must be missing a part of the experience.

Still lusting over a 550FS in 6.5 though.

The Shooter's Report is also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theshootersreport
Old August 22, 2014, 10:35 AM   #25
Venom1956

If you have to ask you won't understand.

Its not a 'woodsmen' thing its a shooters thing, all my CZ rifles are amazingly accurate. tbh your vz58 isn't a Czech made gun. Its parts come from the US and from CAI no less. While that's totally fine I never really look at a Century gun for accuracy. Especially when it comes to barrels.
Quote:
I never considered the cartridge to have good enough accuracy or ballistics to justify an expensive rifle in that chambering.
The 7.62x39 is as accurate as any round the platform is what limits its accuracy. the 50m target in the 527 box is two overlapping holes you cant even see the third shot. the x39 is capable of taking most medium sized game up to 200 yards which around here is about as far a shot as u get in the woods.

I hunt to spend time with my father not for my personal enjoyment.

a box of .308s is about 20 bucks for 20. a box of x39 is about 4bucks here. I can shoot 100 x39s outta my bolt gun for the cost of a few groups in a .308 or .3006 I really enjoy changing from fast carbine and pistol shooting to a peaceful day of bolt gun fun. Guns I cant afford shooting or enjoy shooting are useless to me. Trigger time is what matters.

Last edited by Venom1956; August 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM.