The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 21, 2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Te Anau

Best glow in the dark paint for sights?

Using the search function to find the answer is an exercise in frustration and could take hours.Who has had good luck using glow in the dark paint on gun sights,and what brand did you use? I have no desire to spend big $$$ on tritium sights so those are out.I want a paint that charges quickly and lasts at least 6 hours.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Crazy88Fingers

The problem with glow in the dark paint is that it does indeed need light to "charge". If this is for a carry gun, it may be difficult to expose your sights to a sufficient amount of light. Have you tried stopping by your local hobby shop (I think those still exist) and asking them?

For what it's worth, fluorescent paint seems to be a popular alternative.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Edward429451

I used Whiteout for a long time because it's cheap and easily redone at cleaning time. Sported for nuclear sights later on son't use it anymore.
Old August 21, 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

This works very nicely,,,

A friend used this on his guns,,,
It works very nicely.

Bright Sights Professional Gun Sight Paint Kit,,,

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 23, 2011, 02:31 PM   #5
tdrizzle

Florescent nail polish...green or orange, about three bucks at the drugstore.
Old August 23, 2011, 03:45 PM   #6
jmr40

Bright fingernail polish works as good as anything short of real night sights. Get real night sights.
Old August 24, 2011, 09:29 AM   #7
spleify

I used white out as well
Like us on Facebook
Old August 24, 2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Te Anau

Those are all great suggestions and some I've used,but they don't glow in the dark and that's what I'm looking for.
Old August 24, 2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Flopsweat

The hobby store glow-in-the-dark paint I use charges in a few seconds. It was a little thicker than I expected but wears well - assuming that I clean the surface well before applying the paint. It's that classic green color like on halloween decorations. I know the charge lasts for a few hours but I can't say for certain that you'll get 6 hours out of it. If I can find the dang bottle I'll post the brand name. I think it was around $3 or $4.

I may be preaching to the choir but have you trained in low-light conditions? Some people find that regular sights work well enough, some don't.
Old February 16, 2012, 04:50 PM   #10
therealrasta

Ultra Green V10 Water-Based Glow in the Dark Paint

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=51

Suppose to glow for 24hr with 15mins of charge time. I was thinking about trying it out myself..

Last edited by therealrasta; February 16, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old February 19, 2012, 05:18 PM   #11
saltydog452

This seems to work short term.http://glow-on.com/index.html

Not as good as Tritium but way to helengone better than Model Airplane paint or your lady's fingernail polish.

salty

Last edited by saltydog452; February 19, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:49 PM   #12
OcelotZ3

I've used the glow-on paint and it's very nice.
Old February 20, 2012, 02:26 PM   #13
orangello

I've been happy with the Glow-on also, but i don't carry on my person. The guy selling the glow-on sent me a package with the liquid stuff and some sticker-type stuff and a sample of some nice safety orange sticker-type stuff (orange was for non-glow applications). The seller used the name "gato pardo" on another forum i enjoy; nice to deal with.
Old February 20, 2012, 02:45 PM   #14
K_Mac

I bought some of the Glow-On liquid and the self-adhesive strips. Good folks to deal with. It works very well for several minutes after being charged. I have it on the GP-100 that is my bed-side HD weapon. It was very inexpensive, and for the money a decent deal. You cannot charge it at bedtime and expect it to work 6 hours later without recharging though. It is not a replacement for night sights.

"If you let "need" be a requirement and Government be the arbiter of that "need", then Liberty is as dead as King Tut." Jimbob86
Old February 21, 2012, 12:13 AM   #15
OcelotZ3

I've been thinking of adding a UV LED to my GunVault so that the night sights would charge while in the box, leaving them ready to go at any time... It would be pretty trivial & cheap to add. I'll have to get on that!
Old February 21, 2012, 11:01 AM   #16
FAS1

Quote:
I have no desire to spend big $$$ on tritium sights so those are out.I want a paint that charges quickly and lasts at least 6 hours.
I know you are probably talking about the up front cost, but I have these on two Glocks. One is a G17 Gen2 that's probaly 20 years old now. They need replacing but still have a dim glow all night. They certainly last for the 12 years they are covered under warranty. For $100.00 divided by the 12 years that's under $9.00 a year cost! I fail to see the money savings in glowing paint although I have never even priced it.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/3564-Trij...FWnatgodricxQQ

FAS1 SAFE, LLC
Old February 21, 2012, 05:06 PM   #17
jmr40

Quote:
I've been thinking of adding a UV LED to my GunVault so that the night sights would charge while in the box, leaving them ready to go at any time... It would be pretty trivial & cheap to add. I'll have to get on that!
Adding a light to "Charge" your night sights is a waste of money. They don't recharge. The tritium capsule will glow 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 12-15 years with no recharge needed. After 8-10 years they will become dim. They will continue to have a useable glow for several more years, just not as bright.

The glow in the dark paint will glow for 5-10 minutes after a charge and is a waste of money.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:22 PM   #18
orangello

Quote:
The glow in the dark paint will glow for 5-10 minutes after a charge...
This has not been my experience, but i have only used that glow-on stuff. It about scared the crap out of me the first night i brought it home; i tossed it (paint vial & sticker material) on a desk in the corner of my bedroom where it remained unnoticed until about 1 AM. When i woke for a drink of water i was startled to see a strange glowing object in the darkest corner of my bedroom. My bedside flashlight revealed the culprit and my mistake; the desk is directly under a light that would've had a couple of hours to charge the stuff before i hit the sheets.

I wouldn't mind tritium night sights, but i'm not wanting them bad enough to change out the sights on all my pistols (not to mention the rifle and shotgun i have the tape on). I guess the glow paint is the "poor man's" substitute for night sights.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:04 PM   #19
mightyoakwildlife

Glow Paint

After reading therealrasta's post (#10, above) I followed the link and did a little reading. They offered some believable advice, specific to gun sights.

http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/gun-sights.aspx

For what it's worth, I too think you would be far better off with tritium sights. If you're determined to settle for "do it yourself" paint, this stuff might be worth a try.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:50 PM   #20
jmr40

Quote:
I guess the glow paint is the "poor man's" substitute for night sights.
A set of night sights for my Glock cost me $60. Divide that by 12-15 years of use and it breaks down to $4-$5 per year. If you can't afford that, how can you afford ammo?
Old February 21, 2012, 11:28 PM   #21
orangello

Quote:
A set of night sights for my Glock cost me $60. Divide that by 12-15 years of use and it breaks down to $4-$5 per year. If you can't afford that, how can you afford ammo?
LOL! It can be tight sometimes, but i get by.

Out of curiosity, how much of that $60 went for installation? Part of my decision to go with the paint on or stick on solution was to avoid having to track down a smith to do the install, as decent smiths seem to be in short supply around here. I don't feel as comfortable with the idea of tapping out the sights on my XD45 as i do with dabbing some paint on their dots. Now, if you are a smith or are comfortable with the idea of removing and later realigning your sights, then the tritium night sights seem like a MUCH more reasonable and permanent solution.

edit* It occurs to me that my single purchase of glow-on paint & sticker material was enough for my XD45, my CZ75b, my GP100, my SKS (just for fun), and my HD shotgun. There is enough left to do at least a half dozen dot-type sights with the liquid and probably enough tape for at least ten of the non-dot type sets of sights and maybe some funny accents for my keys. So, at $50 per set of tritiums, that would come to something close to $1000. $1000/a 15 year useful life comes to about $65 per year; still affordable for most but is it worth it, especially as a lump sum expenditure eaual to the cost of a pretty nice pistol, not to me. Of course, i may need to re-apply the glow goop at some point.

Last edited by orangello; February 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:19 AM   #22
OcelotZ3

Quote:
Adding a light to "Charge" your night sights is a waste of money.

The glow in the dark paint will glow for 5-10 minutes after a charge and is a waste of money.
I meant to say that I'd use the UV leds to charge the glow-in-the-dark paint, not night sights.

Your second statement is way off. I charged some of the glow-in-the-dark paint 5 hours ago by putting under a light for 20 seconds, and it is still glowing quite strongly >4 hours later even for eyes not dark adjusted. Exposing them to strong light for longer will be even better. "5-10 minutes" after charging with light just is not correct, even with just quick exposure.

I've got the Glock Glow-On sights charging with white LEDs right now (had some spare LEDs sitting around). They were fairly bright after just 10 seconds of low-current LED charging and should be great after a few hours. I think that putting the white LEDs in the GunVault, aimed right at the night sights, will charge them nicely. The power cord (going to a wall wart) fits nicely in the same slot in the vault as the security cable.