The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1
wcantrell

Browning Auto 5 question

Hello
Today I bought a 1952 circa Auto A5, 12 gauge. Mine has a 29" barrel full choke. SN 358938. I downloaded an A5 manual which shows a magazine spring retainer, but I can not find that part on my shotgun. Is my gun 'too old' for that part? I can post photos if that helps. Thanks, Bill
Old August 21, 2011, 12:33 AM   #2
publius

Yes, show us a pic and you will get an answer quickly.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:28 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Browning.com?...

Since you know the firearm serial #, did you contact the custom gunsmiths of Browning's UT headquarters? Or contact the customer service?
A shotgun gunsmith who works on A5s may know too. Brownells.com might know of older model replacement parts.

ClydeFrog
Old August 21, 2011, 06:54 AM   #4
krimmie

If it doesn't have the retainer, the magazine spring will fly out when you unscrew the magazine cap.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:43 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

Just as krimmie said the spring will fly out when the froearm cap is removed.

The retainer is a cup shaped piece that has a cut/split on one side so it can be pressed into the magazine tube. Look in the end of the magazine tube.

The part number is P011330.

If you need parts www.midwestgunworks.com has all the parts for the A5.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Sea Buck

Jaguar is correct.This is a fairly common item at a gunsmith,as that button has been known the reach the ceiling of many hunting camps!!To be found under the wood box years later!!
Old August 21, 2011, 10:47 AM   #7
lamarw

If you need the part, order it directly from Browning. They still sell most all the parts for the A5 and at a lower price than either of the other two sources already mentioned.

Visit Browning's web site. They have the catalog of parts matched to the schematics and with the prices listed.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Daggitt

Did you examine the wood forearm and confirm it is not still in it's slot there ?
Old August 22, 2011, 06:11 PM   #9
federali

Unless I have my guns confused, I recall that the Auto-5 also had a friction ring to be put at the top of the spring for high base loads and at the other end for target loads.
Old August 23, 2011, 03:46 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
Unless I have my guns confused, I recall that the Auto-5 also had a friction ring to be put at the top of the spring for high base loads and at the other end for target loads.
It does. But that's not the part that's missing. An A-5 will function fine without the magazine spring retainer - until you remove the end cap and the magazine spring flies away.
Old August 23, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
wcantrell

Improved Cylinder barrel for my Browning

Evening everyone,
many thanks for all of the great replies....today I took my A5 to a very competent gunsmith for a total going-through.
As my gun is a full choke, I would like to locate an extra barrel in 12 gauge Improved Cylinder. 26-28 inches preferably. Thanks!
Bill
Old August 24, 2011, 06:46 AM   #12
krimmie

Quote:
As my gun is a full choke, I would like to locate an extra barrel in 12 gauge Improved Cylinder. 26-28 inches preferably.
That could be tough to find. Expect to pay $300+ for that too. most competent gunsmiths can open the choke on your existing barrel, cheaper too.

Here's one source for barrels.

http://barrelexchange.com/srch_2.cfm...&Submit=Search