The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 3, 2012, 01:45 PM   #126
zachkuby87

ive been carrying for about six months now my first few weeks i carried on and off pretty much to places i felt comfortable carrying but after a while i started carrying everywhere i went. i recently sold my carry pieces xdm 45 and keltec pf9 to buy a car it lasted about 4 days i couldnt stand not carrying i felt naked and helpless lol. so i traded a spare "fun" rifle i had laying around for an ria 1911 tactical this was last night and the ria hasnt left my side yet. i brought it to the range put 400 rds through her 300 wwb and 100 hornady jhp ran flawless. youll get used to it sooner or later.
Old January 5, 2012, 08:40 AM   #127
Pianoguy

I just recieved my permit yesterday and today's the first carry day. When I read this thread, I just realized that I have already completely forgotten I am even carrying! One hour into the day and already feels normal. 642 in an IWB Hume holster, very comfortable, even though I know I have it I can't see anything so I can't imagine anybody else will. Will probably step up to my Sig P250sc (more rounds) as soon as I can check it out with some HP ammo. Actually I'm more concerned about some pepper spray in my pocket and inadvertently reaching in setting that off.
Old January 5, 2012, 08:48 AM   #128
BGutzman

The more often and frequently you carry the more natural it becomes... Sooner or later you will realize if you had a third eyeball in the middle of your head most people wouldnt notice... Its not an excuse for sloppy carry but when you do eventually discover that one early morning your shirt or whatever wasnt quite covering everything its still usually not a problem...
Old January 5, 2012, 09:55 AM   #129
TexasJustice7

I always worry about printing, although in Texas it is INTENTIONAL unconcealment that is a problem. My pocket holster and S&W 642 is no problem, but I have a bulge carrying the CA 44 Spl Bulldog. I still try to avoid going to Walmart and some of them have 30.06 signs I don't go to at all. This week I heard a phone call across the scanner regarding someone with a gun in a shoulder holster who was at a local dollar store. I heard them trying to get the guy stopped, and afterwards learned they released him so he must have had a permit, and maybe accidentallly exposed his
guns under a coat.
Old January 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #130
dbldblu

How do you feel when you cc?

A little heavier.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:46 AM   #131
baccusboy

It felt really heavy, and I felt everyone could see it. Then, while I was standing in line at the checkout, some little boy kept pointing at me and trying to get his dad's attention, "Daddy! Daddy!"

Not two aisles away was a fully-clothed cop buying some potato chips.

I was sweating.

So I immediately dropped my items and got out of there. I drove to my local gun shop and traded the Desert Eagle .50AE I'd been carrying for a S&W snubbie.

Been fine ever since.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:40 AM   #132
Armybrat

Quote:
How do you feel when you CC?
About the same as when I carry my hanky.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:58 AM   #133
sXeKJB

Right now, I feel no different than I would normally feel...actually, maybe a little more proud; however, when I first carried I was nervous about printing, mainly due to living in a non open-carry state, and it being illegal to have it visible (now laws have passed that this is no longer illegal).

I think the sad thing is that a part of society looks at firearms and self defense as if it's such an evil thing that some people may feel ashamed if someone were to notice they were carrying - ashamed to practice a god given right.
Old January 6, 2012, 11:52 AM   #134
Pianoguy

Every state has it's own laws - at least mine allows CC (now) and has allowed OC. I can't really break a law as long as I stay out of certain prohibited places - not hard. So if someone sees the gun I might get some flack but as long as I have my permit I'm okay.

But I work around people who would be very uncomfortable with me carrying. So although we can carry we need to be discreet to avoid creating what would be a disturbance. I understand how they feel since it wasn't long ago I would have agreed with them.

I don't agree that carrying is some kind of god-given right but it is currently legal so I'm happy to carry (people all seem to feel these "rights" must be allowed unless it's someone else's "right" to do something that they for whatever reason don't agree with - a "perfect society" is in the eye of the beholder and for some reason always seems to agree with what that beholder wants).
Old January 6, 2012, 02:01 PM   #135
wayneinFL

I used to be overweight. Carrying a 1911 cured that. Yeah, it added 2 pounds, but now I'm a foot taller!

Seriously, though, most people get jittery when they start carrying, thinking everyone is looking at them. No one is looking. They get over it in a few months.
Old January 6, 2012, 02:06 PM   #136
m.p.driver

I feel like a god when i carry.But seriously i don't really pay it no mind,feel kind of naked when i don't carry, and dread anything happening.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:52 AM   #137
shurshot

I just read this entire thread, about "feelings", when one carrys. It would make a good topic for "Dr. Phil" or "The View", or some other sensitive, tissue box, TV program. If it bothers you to carry, then don't. But otherwise, MAN UP! You carry a wallet, you carry keys.... just carry it...!

I'll won't be surprised when this thread gets closed.

Last edited by shurshot; January 7, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:27 AM   #138
Sparks1957

feelings...nothing more than feelings...

If you're new to carrying, you're probably a bit nervous and self-conscious. You'll get over it, especially when you realize most people aren't thinking about you at all and are totally oblivious to what's going on around them anyway.

If you're not comfortable carrying after some time passes, don't do it. It will become the normal state of being for most folks, in a short time.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:37 AM   #139
FairWarning

Quote:
I feel like a god when i carry.But seriously i don't really pay it no mind,feel kind of naked when i don't carry, and dread anything happening.
You aren't a god though. Feeling like a god is one thing, but acting like a god could cause trouble when there didn't have to be any.

I rarely carry on my person, but when I do, I am extra polite or neutral. There is no point in creating a situation or boldly walking into a bad environment just because you could "fix them". The amount of trouble resulting from it may not be worth it.

Also, I don't feel naked in normal situations without a gun, because I am situationally aware and physically very well conditioned and trained. People should not neglect the idea of their bodies being effective weapons. They certainly can be. And the mind is a weapon and shield also.
Old January 7, 2012, 10:10 AM   #140
Glenn E. Meyer

The only time it bothered me was the only time I wore a fanny pack.

Once and never again. Now it bothers me when I can't carry. I have a wardrobe that accommodates carry and a selection of carry guns for different dress circumstances.
Old March 2, 2012, 04:29 PM   #141
Red Dog

I'm still carrying but I'm more aware of things. I find my self looking for others who maybe showing.
Old March 2, 2012, 04:36 PM   #142
checkmyswag

I feel normal. When I don't I feel like I forgot to wear my pants.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:53 PM   #143
mssurrey

I feel GREAT
Old March 2, 2012, 11:34 PM   #144
Glockstar .40

like others when i first started carrying i felt like i was printing all the time and people were gonna see it and freak out. been carrying for a few years now and realize most people arent paying that much attention even if i do print or they just think its a phone or something.
Old March 3, 2012, 12:08 AM   #145
9mm

People rarely notice me open carrying, I'm not going worry about if my gun prints or not because its not illegal. I probably just carry what I carry now, in the same holster. Just pull my shirt over. A bump on my side? so what.

You really can't tell, unless my arm hugs my body, then you notice the gap of air from one side of arm.
Old March 3, 2012, 12:33 AM   #146
kinggabby

I previously posted that I am very comfortable with carrying ( 3 months now) .But if open carry passes in Oklahoma I will be even more comfortable and when funds free up might even get a bigger gun or revolver with a little longer barrel.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:11 AM   #147
Edward429451

(homer voice)

I feel like how God must feel when he's holding a gun! Sic.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:28 AM   #148
matthew261

Read this article and you'll get real comfortable real fast

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/...ap_a_pict.html

Amy Bishop is currently on trial for this shooting. If just one person in that faculty meeting had been legally carrying, this story would have had a very different ending.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:20 PM   #149
waymore

I'm also a bit nervous when I CC. just started recently. Does a gun belt make a big difference? Also wondering when buying a gun belt should you buy a size bigger due to the extra width that the gun and holster adds?
Old March 4, 2012, 08:04 PM   #150
Smit

Like a BOSS