The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 18, 2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Constantine

S&W Model 19-3 being fully restored

So..My Smith and Wesson Model 19-3...Police trade in. Story behind it?

5 years ago my Uncle "Aussie Joe" was packing his bags and leaving. Given his name, it makes it obvious where he was going. Back to Australia. He said for a few months...It's been 5 years and we have not heard a single word from him yet. I miss him..Anyways he left he this gun and a 1987 Mercedes before he left. I should have known then he wasn't coming back...lol Anyways.

It was locked shut and wouldn't open. I did my best and took it apart. Cleaned it and shot it

Video is here.

At the end of the indoor range in Broward County Florida. 6 rounds double action and the video shows me shooting 6 rounds single action. This was a while ago. That's me in the video. This was right before the police academy.

http://youtu.be/W3iCncWsZYg

Now it has locked shut a few times since, and the button to eject the wheel has gotten stuck and just recently the wheel completely fell off.

I just about had it, the gun is a legend and belonged to Aussie Joe anyways right? Time for this to happen.

Took it to my gunsmith, who has worked on my 1911 and other firearms of mine.

The repairs are coming out to $75 roughly, and to reblue the whole gun will be from $225-$275

Don't know if the price seems about average. Maybe you guys could let me know?

Anyways, there are some pics of the Model 19-3. Extremely accurate gun..

THOUGHTS! PLEASE! On price, me doing this in general. Is it a good investment, idea, plan...All the above? Thank you!

Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old August 18, 2011, 12:29 PM   #2
theP8riot

The reason that the cylinder fell off is because the ejector rod wasn't screwed in. Pretty common issue with these guns. My 19-4 was had the same issue. A little bit of lock-tite takes care of it.

As for the re-blue, I don't know. Is kinda has a "new old-west" look to it. On the other hand a nice P&R'd Smith kinda deserves to look pretty.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:52 PM   #3
hivel37

To me, a well-worn revolver has a lot of appeal. Aussie Joe liked it that way.

Your call.
Old August 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #4
old bear

$75.00 for gunsmithing charges is not out of line. As for the refinish, remember you will never recoup the expense if you sell it. Instead of a total refinish why not clean REALLY well, apply several thin coats of cold blue as needed, let dry for 10 - 14 days. Then apply two THIN coats of Johnson's paste wax. If you are going to have a refinish done black chrome is a tough and good looking finish.
Old August 18, 2011, 02:33 PM   #5
LynnTX

Cold blue

I got an old Winchester model 37A that belonged to my father and about 3 coats of cold blue on the receiver made the old shotgun look much better.

If I had an old revolver, I think I would give that a try also. You can pick the stuff up cheap at Walmart. It won't look as good as original finish, but it won't be ugly either.
Old August 18, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Spenser

I'm kind of the opinion that you get it back to working order, and then just polish the heck out of it, but leave it worn. I kind of like guns that have some wear on them. Kind of like guitars that are beat up. And I definitely have a soft spot for the Model 19...
Old August 18, 2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

If you want it reblued or nickeled, S&W would be the refinisher of choice, not a local gunsmith. S&W will likely charge less, too.
Please don't put cold blue anywhere near the gun. You'll make the finish much worse.
Old August 18, 2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Kimbertron

Ill put my vote in for getting it working like new and keep it looking like it is
Old August 18, 2011, 03:03 PM   #9
BigJimP

I'm with Bill on this one ....don't get any cold blue near it ....send it to S&W and let them re-do it completely. It'll take a few months - but you'll be way happier with the gun when it comes back...
Old August 18, 2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Kimbertron

Quote:
I'm with Bill on this one ....don't get any cold blue near it ....send it to S&W and let them re-do it completely. It'll take a few months - but you'll be way happier with the gun when it comes back...
If you are going to refinish i agree with this, i like the worn revolver look but if your set on refinishing it i would want it to look like it just left the factory. You wont be able to get your money back for refinishing if you decide to sell, but since this gun has sentimental value and you if you can afford it i think spending the money to get it refinished professionally would be well worth it. Which ever route you choose good luck, the guns my grandfather left me are some of my most prized possessions and i have been in your shoes before
Old August 18, 2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Constantine

Nice. Well I agree with all of you to a point. I do love the way the gun looks all worn down and what not. But I'm sure Aussie Joe would love to have it refinished. Another thing is the amont of rust on it scares me a little and it has spread a little more since I first got it. If it had been an old revolver I bought for cheap..I'd understand. But was given to me by MIA Aussie Joe..is like for it to stick around and shine. And for me to shoot the daylight out of it like I do in that video. It breaking on me a few times must have been a sign (haha)

Such a great firearm deserves to be brought back to life like its prime years.

It's like a Mustang GT (which I have, but 2000) in an original year like let's say 67 its still an amazing car. But wouldn't you want to fix it up so it runs again and restore it?

It's strange though. A part of me really does want to leave it alone...fighting my own mind isn't fun.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old August 18, 2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Winchester_73

Quote:
As for the refinish, remember you will never recoup the expense if you sell it
Quote:
You wont be able to get your money back for refinishing
Why does everyone keep saying that? The gun was GIVEN to him so he can absolutely get $250 for a factory refinish model 19 or whatever he would pay. Keep in mind, a K frame 357 has value as a shooter aside from the collector side. As a user, its worth $300+ easy.

I think in its current state it looks better than cold blue. I agree with the people who said either S&W refinish it or do nothing to the finish.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Kimbertron

If you are very torn about it, i would say get the work done to get it working properly again and hang on to it for a bit as is. You can always get it refinished later but cant go back once its refinished. Either way you go i don't think you will be disappointed though.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Kimbertron

Quote:
Why does everyone keep saying that? The gun was GIVEN to him so he can absolutely get $250 for a factory refinish model 19 or whatever he would pay. Keep in mind, a K frame 357 has value as a shooter aside from the collector side. As a user, its worth $300+ easy.
Very true, forgot that he didn't pay for it. But resell ability for this firearm doesn't seem to be an issue anyway i think hes going to be hanging on to it.
Old August 18, 2011, 04:02 PM   #15
Constantine

Yes! I definitely will be hanging onto it and never letting it go. Both that and my High-Power were given to me. The high-power I traded my old man for..basically a gift from him.

The model 19 I would not sell for that price at all. It's definitely going to be a keeper and shooter for me..38 specials mostly. I want it to last forever

Heard they'd make the police who carried the model 19 practice with .38 and carry .357 which then they didn't realize its better to practice with what your shooting. Oh well..

I am pretty positive I'll be very happy once the gun is refinished and all. Even though a great part of me likes how it is.

I wasn't the one who did that to the gun. So maybe I'll add my own character to it. Like I've been doing with all my other guns.

Maybe that's just an excuse? I don't know. But look forward to this alright.

Where's Mike Irwin?

Old August 18, 2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Winchester_73

Quote:
Where's Mike Irwin?
Out somewhere shouting "Stop! You can't do that. I'm a moderator on TFL!"
Old August 18, 2011, 08:21 PM   #17
KyJim

I agree with refinishing it. The gun doesn't look worn to me, it looks neglected. It has no collector value and I think you might be able to get your money back out of the blue job. Even if you don't, you have the pleasure of having a nice looking gun. That's worth something in my book.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:34 PM   #18
excelerater

I have a 19,snubbie its one of my favs and also an ex police gun
but Id never restore it ,wear shows charecter IMO....as long as its not
a rusted POS and its tight I say its a winner and its a S&W...Other brands
do not always qualify
Old August 18, 2011, 08:35 PM   #19
jhenry

I would not have the gun reblued unless by Smith and Wesson. Truthfully, I like it as is quite a bit and would spend the reblue money on a professional action job and some burl walnut grips.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:30 PM   #20
Constantine

Aaaaaah!! I don't know what to do!

-____-

Old August 18, 2011, 10:41 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm right here.

Do what YOU want to do.

Not what someone else wants you to do.

You're not going to destroy any collector value by having it reblued. That's already gone, and run of the mill 19s don't have much collector value to begin with.

How about going with a finish like Birdsong?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 18, 2011, 11:04 PM   #22
Constantine

Finally...Been waiting for you!

lol, yeah..In the end it is up to me. I just need/ed helpful hints from others. Both sides are valid. Even in my own head. I'm leaning more towards refinishing the gun.

What's this Birdsong?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old August 19, 2011, 06:19 AM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's called Black-T.

It's a protective finish. More durable than bluing.

http://www.black-t.com/aboutus.htm

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 19, 2011, 07:32 AM   #24
jhenry

Black T is a fine choice for what is arguably one of the finest all purpose outdoors revolvers of all time.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:26 AM   #25
madcratebuilder

Refinish it, S&W or Fords are the only two I would trust for a A#1 job. Fords can take a very nasty S&W, restamp it and refinish it and it well look factory new.