The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
island hunter

300 win mag

i just purchased a sako in 300 win mag and am open to some reload recipes
for deer and coyotes with 150 gr. ballistic tips or seirra game kings any good advice on loads ?
Old August 16, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Jim243

Congratulations that is a very nice gun. You are a little over gunned for white tail deer but for Mule Deer at longer range that would be the right gun. You could start at min load data for that bullet or a Remington CoreLokt. The problem with White Tail will be at short range (100 yard) the 300 Win Mag will go straight through without expanding and kill the deer, but not before it has ran a half a mile, and then you will have to track it or lose it.

If you use a lighter load, you could get 270 or 30-06 results from the rifle at slower speeds. If you are shooting Mule Deer then start at mid range on your load data and work up slowly about 0.20 of a grain at a time, till you find what your rifle likes.

Jim
Old August 16, 2011, 10:43 PM   #3
zplinker

300 mag bullet perfomance

Lots of variables out there, but one you should be aware of, is how does 'your' bullet perform at different yardages. As the bullet travels, it tends to heat up, and change dramatically, how it performs.

"I shot it so close, the bullet was going so fast, it didn't open up"...A common story, but based on inaccurate data/thinking.

Try setting up gallon milk jugs full of water, every 50 yds., and watch what 'your' bullet does. It may 'pinhole', 'pinhole', 'splat'... and that is what is going to happen in the field. "Your bullet" may need to warm up, to perform as expected.

Bottom line, you need to try your loads to know what to expect. Nothing in the loading manuals to help you on this one, so do your own testing, and then you'll know.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:19 AM   #4
AllenJ

Congratulations on buying a very nice rifle, it should give you a lifetime of pleasure (and maybe a little pain if you shoot it to much).

The 300 Win Mag is considered an accurate cartridge in large part because it shoots well with many different powder/bullet combinations. You should have no problems finding a suitable load. I use IMR4350 and get great results with Nosler bullets.
Old August 17, 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
crowbeaner

I like the 300 Win Mag; I had an old M700 with a stainless barrel made in the late 60s. It kicked like hell because it was light, but shot shamrocks with the right loads.
WW brass, CCI 200, 67.0 of 760/H414, 165 Hornady Interlock flatbase
WW brass, CCI 200, 64.0 of 760/H414, Hornady 180 grain BTSP Interlock
Kill all loads for deer, antelope, big hogs, etc.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:15 PM   #6
5R milspec

just something to add to the rest of the post.its a mag load it like one.try the 208-210gn bullets and you will never look back.

no you shoot what ever you want to.its a really great call and they really knock down what they are shot at.so welcome to the 300wm family.we guys just smile when we get another guy to join us.and this site will lead you in the right direction.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:37 AM   #7
norm582

300 on deer

With all due respect to Jim243, I have shot numerous deer with a Steyr 300mag and all ranges including 100yds, and none of my deer have ever ran. All of them have keeled over dead right where they stood. I use Winchesters exceptional Silvertip hollow points in 150 and 180 grain.... Happy hunting and congrats! Oh and there is never such a thing as too much gun, only not enough. Clean efficient kills is what we are all after.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:53 AM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
My son has shot a couple dozen Whitetails with his .300WM from 35 Yds to 350 Yds. and none of them have gone out of sight , most just kissed the ground ! All shot with 165 Gr. bullets from core-lokts to Nosler Partitions , Hornady SSTs and Interlocks ! The .300WM is one fine Deer cartridge , you will find this out soon enough ! I just tone it down to about 2900 FPS so as not to over tax the bullet !
Old August 21, 2011, 11:47 AM   #9
schotz

I learned a valuable lesson about ten years ago when using my 30.06 on deer and moved from the 150gr Ballistic tips to the 180gr ballistic tips. The 180's will expand reliably and still have plenty of weight to push on through for a bleedout exit hole.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Jimro

Congrats on your rifle!

For deer you don't need velocity so much as accuracy. I prefer "heavy for caliber" bullets in everything I reload (velocity goes away, but mass sticks around).

So far all of my 300 Win Mag reloading has been with IMR 7828 and accuracy has been superp with 165~168gr bullets. Although I just purchase 48 pounds of WC872 from Wideners which is also a very slow powder, along the lines of H870.

Anyways, look at the powder you have on hand, look at the reloading data, and do an "Optimal Charge Weight" load up and stick with the one that is most accurate. Velocity is over rated :-)

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old August 21, 2011, 07:11 PM   #11
GeauxTide

For deer, start at 165s. With standard bullets, velocities over 3000fps give dramatic, although messy, kills.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Clark

I have a couple factory 300 Win Mag rifle and one I built on a VZ24 action.

I am now opinionated about the belted magnums.

Despite how Bart Bobbitt does it, an old pic of him is the NRA icon for accuracy, and I am no one compared to him, I still have my own opinions:
1) The belts on the brass are hardly ever more than .215", so why bother with the SAAMI spec of .220" minimum? I chamber 300 Win Mag and 7mmRemMag at .215".
2) The primer pockets get loose at ~ 5kpsi more pressure than Mauser case heads [30-06 type] get loose, but before that limit is reached, the case swells in front of the belt. You can buy the Larry Willis die or keep the brass dedicated to one rifle. I like to run the loads kind of wimpy [not near as wimpy as load books] so that the brass will fit back in the chamber after firing.
3) I like to use the shoulder and not the belts for reloads. This makes the brass last longer and lots less trimming ect. I consider a hunting 300 Win Mag shooting well with 5 shots at 100 doing 1.5" or 3 shots doing 1". This would be terrible for Bart Bobbitt, but with MY low standards, using the belt vs shoulder on reloads does not make any difference. I am not some national level target competitor. I am just killing ruminants.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?