Old August 16, 2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Zen Archery

Texas Might Have A Hog Problem

Let's Play "Count The Hogs!!!!"

The more I watch this video the more I really begin to hate hogs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwngZBKgiR8
Old August 16, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2
toreroalum

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. Shooting them from helicopters is legal now (in TX).
Old August 16, 2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Too bad the sight ran out of power on you and that you couldn't shoot faster.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:28 PM   #4
chuckscap

We had feral hog parmesan tonight for dinner. 3/4" thick fillets out of the backstrap, pounded, sauted in olive oil and baked smothered in tomato sauce with mozzerala. Yumm. Serioiusly the one shot with the 270 we got a lot of meat from. The one I shot at 8 feet with the 500 Jeffery, not so much ... I'd volunteer to help clean those little piggies out.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
C0untZer0

I think the night sight was being washed out from the muzzle flash.

It always amazes me when someone says "I wish we had hogs where I live"

Hog "hunting" gets old real fast when you're a farmer who has to go out there night after night to shoot those damn things or lose your crops and risk bankruptcy. It's also a pain to let people on your property to hunt them at midnight when you really need your sleep.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:45 PM   #6
chuckscap

You're right. I'd hate to see them crowd out our mule deer and antelope in Eastern Colorado. We're just starting to get infested. They're considered pests here, no lisence needed. I am planning to go help clean them out with the 500 Jeff though. Do my civic duty.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:58 PM   #7
swopjan

Quote:
Hog "hunting" gets old real fast when you're a farmer who has to go out there night after night to shoot those damn things or lose your crops and risk bankruptcy. It's also a pain to let people on your property to hunt them at midnight when you really need your sleep.
a suppressed .300 Whisper would have enough power to down hogs, right? would they stick around if they didn't hear the shots?

i would certainly invest in a souped-up .300 whisper if it meant i could hunt free hogs all the time. you know, for the farmers.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:59 PM   #8
myshoulderissore

Quote:
a suppressed .300 Whisper would have enough power to down hogs, right? would they stick around if they didn't hear the shots?

i would certainly invest in a souped-up .300 whisper if it meant i could hunt free hogs all the time. you know, for the farmers.
+1 on that. Would be delicious.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:00 AM   #9
BigBadPigg

Around here you can only see them at 4-6 in the morning and 11-3 at night cause its been around 105F in the daytime for the last 40 days. I can catch a whole herd of them at my tanks but it's hard to get up that early to get a shot at them every day. Haha
Old August 17, 2011, 02:36 AM   #10
swopjan

i think once i'm financially comfortable and can let things, for the most part, run themselves i'm going to get all tricked-out tacticool with a silenced piston-driven AR and hunt pigs all night every night in Texas. Free pork for everybody!
Old August 17, 2011, 06:11 AM   #11
rickyrick

Thats what I was seeing in February... not so much now with the heat, but they are starting to leave signs already
Old August 17, 2011, 08:24 AM   #12
twobit

They come through my place and root up the whole pasture every time we get a little rain. I'm in the middle of the bad area of drought and it is bone dry except for the occasional short-lived thunderstorm that does nothing to stop the drought. They tear the crud out of my fences. I sometime stay up all night and shoot one or two coming to a corn feeder, but that is one shot into a herd of twenty and they scatter for the night. I need hand grenades! I also set traps but I cannot keep up with their prolific breeding rates. Texas is in bad hog trouble. The wildlife people are trying to find a poison that will eradicate them without harming other animals. So far no luck. Yes they hunt them with helicopters in my area, but that is only for the big farmers who have to pay out hundreds if not thousands of dollars to the pilots and shooters. Operating a helicopter for one hour costs hundreds of dollars. There are places near me that put out multiple shooters nearly every night and it had not put a dent in the destruction that these hogs are causing. If a person around here was to be caught releasing a live hog into a ranch to start a hunting herd, he would probably be shot and fed to the hog.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:37 AM   #13
Zen Archery

ive got my 300 blackout SBR with can (silencer) on order. just waiting to get the can approved. (average 6 month waiting period). the 7.62x39 does wonders but it its still noisy. I've played with silencers on this thing and I would have to custom load all my ammo. But that doesn't guarantee the twist rate is right. So instead of going through all the headache just order it right from the get go.

Here's my friends John in action
The first in last are normal rounds the middle two are subsonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UehOw94yc0
Old August 17, 2011, 10:58 AM   #14
rickyrick

Twobit,

You can keep them away for short time periods, which add up, by making your hunting attempts obvious and out in the open. Keep the pressure on and they will cut back for a little while....at least till they forget and thier stomach takes over...sometimes i set up the trap and make no attempts to hide my scent and they stay away.

don't bait in a manner that will attract them, bait and set the trap so that they find it on thier normal path or pattern. discourage deer hunting on your place unless the income from leasing out-weighs the hog damage.

I killed a whole group of pigs two years ago and the deer hunter got mad and said that he had been feeding them all year. him and his group understand now that they must kill on sight whether or not they want the meat at the time.

I look at adds for hunting preserves suspicious-like when they want to buy live wild pigs.

I think they need to ban any live transport of wild hogs, any intentional release or introduction.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Saltydog235

Quote:
They come through my place and root up the whole pasture every time we get a little rain. I'm in the middle of the bad area of drought and it is bone dry except for the occasional short-lived thunderstorm that does nothing to stop the drought. They tear the crud out of my fences. I sometime stay up all night and shoot one or two coming to a corn feeder, but that is one shot into a herd of twenty and they scatter for the night. I need hand grenades! I also set traps but I cannot keep up with their prolific breeding rates. Texas is in bad hog trouble. The wildlife people are trying to find a poison that will eradicate them without harming other animals. So far no luck. Yes they hunt them with helicopters in my area, but that is only for the big farmers who have to pay out hundreds if not thousands of dollars to the pilots and shooters. Operating a helicopter for one hour costs hundreds of dollars. There are places near me that put out multiple shooters nearly every night and it had not put a dent in the destruction that these hogs are causing. If a person around here was to be caught releasing a live hog into a ranch to start a hunting herd, he would probably be shot and fed to the hog.
I feel your pain. They are getting pretty bad around here too. Only you couldn't use a helicopter if you wanted to, the terrain and habitat is too thick for it. We trap, shoot and trap some more and it helps, just not that much.

Instead of hand grenades they should let us get some Claymore's to set up.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:24 AM   #16
Big Pard

You all should go on Youtube and look up JagerPro. They have hog killing down to a science with their thermal image scopes. I believe the also show the best trapping techniques...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JAGERPRO
Old August 17, 2011, 11:27 AM   #17
BigBadPigg

+1 on some sort of hog mine! Haha
Old August 17, 2011, 02:03 PM   #18
Geezerbiker

If a couple of hunters from up north would like to go to TX to shoot hogs around next February, how would we go about finding lodging and a guide?

Tony
Old August 17, 2011, 03:44 PM   #19
rickyrick

If you find a place to hunt them and they are Truely over ran...the hunt will be over in five minutes.

When I gun hunt pigs, not counting the time scouting:

Step 1. I get out of truck, or roll down window, or climb in the bed.
Step 2. Load rifle.
Step 3. Turn on el'cheapo gun light.
Step 4. shoot as many as possible (usually one, maybe two)
Step 5. Watch the spectacle unfold.
Step 6. unload rifle
Step 8. let buddies take pictures with the hogs as if they shot them and
so they can post them on facebook
Step 7. drag the carcass(s) to the varmint pile.

If no results by step 3, you are early and the pigs haven't clocked into to work yet... find a comfortable spot in the shadows repeat above steps.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Zen Archery

you get one or two chances with hogs using lights. once they see their mother, brother, sister, and cousins being blasted away after a light source they learn pretty quickly.

of course their is always different sounders of hogs that go through but once a group inhabits an area they will stay there for a day or two, especially if their is a constant food source.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:22 PM   #21
Jo6pak

Wow, halfway thru that video, I was thinking.... Mk19
Old August 17, 2011, 04:38 PM   #22
rickyrick

I use the light because my efforts are focused on hogs that are in the act of depradation. They are always intermingled with livestock. I take at least a minute to id all animals in the shot zone. The cows do offer some cover and distractions to the pigs, they bully calves and have serious discussions of some sort with the donkeys
Old August 24, 2011, 07:36 PM   #23
BigCountry308

So Zen, you talked about having the .300 Blackout with can on order. Are suppressors legal when hunting hog? if so it seems a suppressed .30 cal with an NV or IR optic would be ideal. May be able to take out more than just the one or two before they all scatter. Get enough guys with cans and night optics, and then designate targets with a shot countdown, seems like you could take out a whole herd if the shooters are good enough and can transition to the next target.

Best option would probably be to have National Guard and Reserve forces go state to state doing target practice. Would give them "Night OPS" experience, and solve the massive issue of feral hogs. Yet again, we wouldn't have the fun of solving the issue, would we?
Old August 24, 2011, 07:39 PM   #24
Eghad

Here in Texas there are several places that offer night hunts with suppressors and NV scopes for feral hog hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81uRSJ6eXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCfOM...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frrsVugFCeQ&NR=1

NRA Life Member
Old August 26, 2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Zen Archery

randy with nighthogs.com has been doing it longer than anyone i know. hes actually been on the t.v. circuit lately so stay tuned for some up coming NV Night Hunts on T.V.

so i'd say go with randy.