The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Colvin

HK45 vs. USP 45

I understand that this has probably been posted, but I'd like to post this again.

I'm highly interested in one of the two. Price won't be an issue. I have fairly large hands... Someone who has one or both, could you tell me why you like/don't like it?

Thanks.
Old August 15, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
tulsamal

I bought an HK45 a couple of years ago. I buy a lot of guns but that one stands out as one of the absolute best new guns I've ever bought. I keep talking about converting it over to LEM but that's just about the only thing I can see changing.

Gregg
Old August 16, 2011, 01:11 AM   #3
C0untZer0

What about the Mark 23 ?
Old August 16, 2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Colvin

I should have specified... price is not an object between those two guns. The MK23 is a bit much for me.
Old August 16, 2011, 01:26 PM   #5
balance

The USP holds two more rounds in the mag, and has the dual spring recoil reduction system. The HK45 feels better in the hand for most people, and is able to be completely ambidextrous if you buy an ambi-safety lever.

Both pistols have been building a solid reputation over the years for being durable, accurate, and reliable. I haven't shot either one.
Old August 16, 2011, 01:58 PM   #6
WVsig

I have owned both and sold both.

The USP feels like a 2X4 in my hands. It has an avg DA trigger and a solid SA trigger but it is nowhere near as nice as a 1911 or BHP trigger. The DA is not as good as a Sig IMHO.

The HK45 felt better in the hand but has an avg DA trigger and a solid SA trigger but it is nowhere near as nice as a 1911 or BHP trigger. The DA is not as good as a Sig IMHO.

For me personally both guns where tweeners. I really have no need to carry a combat sized hi capacity 45. I do not need the extra capacity over a 1911 or Sig P220 because inside the home both are backed up by a shot gun.

To me you are asking a question we really cannot answer because IMHO its all about the ergos and those are subjective. It should all come down to which one feels better in your hand and which one you shoot better.

In the end if you like HKs you cannot go wrong with either one.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old August 16, 2011, 01:58 PM   #7
SadistAssassin

I love my hk45....very ergo!!
Old August 16, 2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Coltman 77

Both are great pistols and you won't go wrong with either.

HK's don't have 3.5 lb 1911 trigger but are dead nuts reliable with any ammo you feed them and are extremely accurate.

When I'm protecting my family I want the most reliable handgun I can find and I don't care about the cost. Their lives (and mine) are priceless.

Here's a pic of my USP 45C for some color in this thread.

[IMG][/IMG]

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old August 16, 2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Dobe

Quote:
The HK45 felt better in the hand but has an avg DA trigger and a solid SA trigger but it is nowhere near as nice as a 1911 or BHP trigger.
I sold my BHP simply because of the trigger. I have two HK45s and one HK45c. The DA pull is OK on the HK45c, but there seems to be a lot of creep in the DA pulls of the HK45s. The SA on all three is as good as many 1911s that I own or have shot, with the exception of the customs and semi customs.

The accuracy of the HK45 is on par with any of the nine 1911s I own, with the exception of the one Ed Brown Executive Target I posses.

The HK45 is a fantastic handgun.
Old August 16, 2011, 07:41 PM   #10
harrydog

I've owned both. A USP45 Tactical and an HK45.
For me, the HK45 is the better gun. It is far more comfortable to hold. The bore axis is slightly lower. There is less muzzle rise. Follow up shots are quicker. I can shoot it more accurately. Recoil feels slightly less to me. It was designed to be an improvement to the USP and I think H&K was successful in that regard.
I sold the USP a while ago but still have the HK45.
Other than holding 2 fewer rounds, the HK45 wins hands down for me.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:46 PM   #11
insolentshrew

I like those p30s, sexy guns....wish I had one, oh wait you're talking 45s, my bad.

Old August 16, 2011, 09:54 PM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
The SA on all three is as good as many 1911s that I own or have shot, with the exception of the customs and semi customs.
Same can be said about the Sig which has a much better DA. The same can be said about most of quality DA/SA guns on the market. Like the CZ75B, 92 FS, Sig P Series... & S&Ws.

BHP triggers can require some work changing the main spring and removing the mag disconnect goes a long way.

Again it is not that the HK is bad pistol. In fact is a very good pistol IMHO it is just not a great pistol.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Dobe

Depends on the model. The DA pull on P30s are as good as any out-of-the-box Sig, and I like Sigs. I have a couple of P30s that came with a DA as smooth as most S&W revolvers of the pinned and recessed era.

To me, HK took the Sig design to a higher level.
  • better ergonomics
  • higher capacity per weight of handgun and size
  • better overall quality control

Last edited by Dobe; August 16, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Micahweeks

I might be the odd man out, but I prefer the USP. Maybe it is because I have considerable experience with it as opposed to the maybe 200 rounds I have shot through the HK45. I can shoot it very well, but, as I understand it, HK is discontinuing the USP. Can someone verify if that rumor is true?
Old August 17, 2011, 12:19 AM   #15
scottycoyote

ive never shot the hk but i absolutely love the usp in 45
Old August 17, 2011, 07:29 AM   #16
WVsig

Quote:
Depends on the model. The DA pull on P30s are as good as any out-of-the-box Sig, and I like Sigs. I have a couple of P30s that came with a DA as smooth as most S&W revolvers of the pinned and recessed era.
I thought this was about the HK45 and the USP45. The reality is that if you took 10 current production Sig P220s and 10 HK45s the pulls on each trigger would be sightly different. I do not consider them a major improvement over the Sig. I cut my teeth on Sigs so for me their ergos and their setup is perfect.

Again I am not knocking the HKs they are juts not for me. I also think that they are way over priced at $850+ for a poly gun. They are accurate and reliable but they are just not the end all be all that people make them out to be IMHO.

I have time on both of these pistols. Neither one stayed more than 1,5000 rounds.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:43 AM   #17
tulsamal

Quote:
Same can be said about the Sig which has a much better DA.
Quote:
(HK has) better overall quality control
That's part of it to me. I read the SIG forums every day and have for years. SIG has been going through a long period of quality control issues. It's annoying and off-putting. I've got four HK's now. Two P7's, a P2000, and the HK45. All four of them are literally 100% since I pulled them out of the box. No 500 round break in period or sending back to the factory for some problem. There are things I really like about the SIG 220 series but every time I consider buying one, I end up reading thread after thread about issues with the current guns.

Quote:
For me personally both guns where tweeners. I really have no need to carry a combat sized hi capacity 45. I do not need the extra capacity over a 1911 or Sig P220 because inside the home both are backed up by a shot gun.
There really is some truth to this. I've carried my HK45 a few times in special situations but that's not why I bought it. I just wanted to own what I saw as the most evolved full size .45 pistol. If I was in the military or an LEO and was allowed to freely pick my own handgun, it would probably be my choice. As a civilian, I shoot mine at the range. And I take it to IDPA.

I almost bought an HK45C to carry but the P2000 LEM in .357 SIG lured me away. Still would like to own the smaller .45 since I really do like the larger one.

Quote:
The HK45 felt better in the hand but has an avg DA trigger and a solid SA trigger but it is nowhere near as nice as a 1911 or BHP trigger. The DA is not as good as a Sig IMHO.
I agree that the DA pull on the HK45 is too heavy. I bought it planning to use it in IDPA cocked and locked. But the safety and I don't get along. I've never had problem one hitting a 1911 safety but the HK45 safety can be tricky during a draw. You don't really "fast draw" in IDPA but you want to get the gun out and running as fast as safely possible. When I do that (especially under match pressure) I have to REALLY concentrate on hitting the safety. Just far too easy to miss and I would like to be concentrating on what I need to do with the stage instead.

My solution in IDPA has been to use it as a traditional DA/SA. Seems like my local ranges usually have a close target for shot one. I'm capable of drawing and firing the HK45 DA from 5-7 yards "good enough." After that it is all SA. Now that I bought an HK P2000 LEM though, I've really been thinking about swapping to LEM on the HK45. The reset is longer but that's really a training issue. I honestly think it would work better in IDPA. Or for home use for that matter. LEM is nice.

Gregg
Old August 17, 2011, 10:41 AM   #18
Dobe

I really like DA shooting, and cut my centerfire teeth on a DA revolver. I don't find the pull on an HK45 too heavy. I just find there to be too much creep for my taste. The pull weight and creep deminish with prolonged dry-firing.

The HK45 is currently my favorite centerfire handgun platform.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:50 AM   #19
Dobe

Quote:
I thought this was about the HK45 and the USP45.
Which means we weren't really talking about Sigs either. The comparision was made, I just followed the flow.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:30 AM   #20
WVsig

Quote:
Which means we weren't really talking about Sigs either. The comparision was made, I just followed the flow.
By talking about the HK P30. LOL I was commenting that you are not talking about the HK45 or the USP 45 but instead are commenting on the P30 which is a different HK gun. It is not the same platform that the OP is asking about.

Old August 17, 2011, 12:03 PM   #21
Boats

The HK USP45c was the worst name brand pistol purchase I have ever made, so the HK 45 has to be better. . .right?
Old August 17, 2011, 12:10 PM   #22
Dobe

Never shot a USP45c. The HK45c is nice. It shoots well, very reliable also.
Its big brother, HK45, has a different type grip with a changeable backstrap.
Both are nice handguns.
Old August 17, 2011, 01:51 PM   #23
postmaster

I had a usp 45 and it was a great gun! Tack driver, ultra reliable but not for concealed carry without a jacket. I just happen to keep my guns for a while and sell them, then on to another. I now have 3 guns only. :{ Can't speak for the HK .45 never had one, but you will not go wrong with the usp.

North America mini magnum, Glock 26 and Sig 226
Old August 17, 2011, 02:24 PM   #24
temmi

I have the USP and it is a great gun.

It rates as high as any I own.

I would like a HK45 too...

But

If I had to choose one I think it would be the USP
Old August 21, 2011, 01:03 AM   #25
Massan

I own both and if you were to pick one I say get the HK45 instead.

Don't get me wrong, the USP .45 is great, its just that the HK45 took everything that made the USP great and improved on it(cept for trigger, it still sucks. Get a LEM if you can). I had some issues with the USP due to the weight imbalance between the slide/frame so my double taps werent great. The HK45 with the new recoil buffer pretty much negates that issue for me and the grips are geat. Course the USP is 12+1 whereas the HK45 is only 10+1.

Tags
usp 45 hk vs which