The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 11:10 AM   #51
lwestatbus

Essential Tremor

I found this thread while searching the Forums for "Essential Tremor". I've been diagnosed with this and was looking for info on how others have dealt with it. Thanks to Alaska444 and federali for their input.

I've learned that this is an incredibly common condition.

In my case I don't actually notice shaking in my hands when firing a handgun. To put this in perspective though, I can usually only get half of a forkful of rice from the plate to my mouth and do not order anything I can't stab with a fork when eating in public.

One source I've found says that alcohol will moderate the symptoms but I somehow don't see a shot of Tequila as a normal precursor to a range session. (But once I had the chance to shoot with a German Army Infantry battalion and you lined up to be issued your target, your ammunition, and then a shot of Schnapps to calm the nerves.)
Old April 22, 2013, 02:12 PM   #52
DaleA

Essential Tremors might be worthy or a new thread. I'll leave that to the mods.

However, maybe surprising some folk alcohol is a performance enhancers and is banned in shooting in the Olympic games.

The first athlete to be disqualified for drug use was Hans-Gunnar Liljenwall from Sweden who won bronze, along with the Swedish team, at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City in modern pentathlon because he had a couple beers before the event.

IIRC alcohol is only banned in a very few Olympic events. But I could be wrong about this or maybe newer regs ban alcohol in more events. I seem to recall it was archery, fencing and shooting.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:00 PM   #53
rrockefe

I have been diagnosed with essential tremor and was prescribed propranolol by my neurologist. It virtually eliminated the problem. I started out with 40 mg daily and it worked for a year, or two, and have recently had to go to 40 mg twice per day. It is obviously age related (74 now) and will only progress further with age. The neurologist indicated as the condition got worse there were time release medications that could be employed. Right now I'm good and the tremors are not giving me shooting problems as before.

As an aside, I read somewhere that a Japanese Olympic pistol shooter was disqualified a few years ago after winning an event when they found he had been using propranolol. It works!

Since I don't compete, I don't have that worry!
Old April 24, 2013, 11:22 PM   #54
michael t

I no longer shoot service caliber 9mm 38 spl 45 auto more than 50 rounds, total

If I want to shoot more I use a 22 . At almost 67 I finding the larger calbers to much for extended range shooting .
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old April 26, 2013, 11:13 AM   #55
Constantine

Quote:
I have a strange obsession with water, so I drink 3-5 gallons a day
That's actually not good for you at all. You're clearing all the vitamins and minerals from your body that you ingest when you eat something. Tone down!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old April 26, 2013, 05:28 PM   #56
BoogieMan

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this and it may be somewhat uncommon among shooters. My wife is a yoga instructor. Yes I have to do it along with her (not a bad thing ) at home. I noticed that I shoot much better if done before I go shooting. Centers your balance, gets oxygen to the muscles and clears your mind so you can zero in.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:33 PM   #57
manta49

I haven't watched anyone shooting a handgun yet whose hands don't shake to some extent. Some of them very good shots the only time you won't shake is when you are dead.
Old April 26, 2013, 06:35 PM   #58
dajowi

Does the shaking get more pronounced as your ammunition supply decreases?