The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 4, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1
mizzenmatt

please help identify this kind of gun

Dear all,

I am working on an English translation of an historical document in Thai (about turn-of-the-20th-century bandits) in which they refer to different kinds of guns like Mausers, Colt Lightning, etc. One kind is called a "cap gun" in Thai. It is pictured on this page: http://www.weekendhobby.com/gun/webb...n.asp?ID=11101

What can I call this kind of gun in English?

Thanks so much!
Matt
Old August 4, 2011, 06:39 PM   #2
armoredman

The pictures of the primer looks similar to the Maynard tape priming system of Civil War era. Its'a percussion lock firearm, but with using tape primers, but I doubt it was meant for use with them. That's the Thai printed language? Fascinating alphabet.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Pahoo

Muzzleloader

Percussion side lock muzzleloader ....
The "action" of a Muzzleloader is commonly defined by the lock. In this case, it's a Cap-Lock or percussion unlike a flintlock. The caps look simular to roll caps and indeed, some have been used for the spark ignition to the main charge. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 4, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Microgunner

percussion cap.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Jim Watson

It is a percussion or "cap and ball" muzzleloading shotgun.
The hammer hits a percussion cap on the "nipple" to fire the charge.
I don't see any sign it is or was a Maynard or other tape primer system.
I am not familiar with caps blister packaged in red as shown in one of the pictures; but the powder, ball, and smaller shot are appropriate.
Old August 4, 2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Pahoo

More than one way to skin a cat !!

It was common to see many M/L's being practically cobbled together, in the south pacific. They made them out of practically anything they could get their hands on. Most were very crude, effective and some, downright dangerous. They were killing tigers, deer as well as neighboring tribes long before any major wars. From some of the homemades I've seen, this one is fairly advanced. .......

My father brought back one of these from the Philippine Islands. It was a shotgun that supposedly belonged to a head hunter and was well used. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old August 10, 2011, 08:42 PM   #7
mizzenmatt

thanks, everyone! This is a great help.
Old August 11, 2011, 04:32 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The gun shows no indication of having or ever having any kind of tape primer mechanism. I have seen those sheets of caps; they are not meant for feeding through any kind of Maynard priming mechanism, caps are cut out with scissors and placed on the nipple. (Saves using expensive copper for percussion caps!)

I would call the gun a percussion gun (shotgun, rifle, whatever). "Cap gun" would be accurate except that the term in American English means a child's toy gun using caps with small charges to make noise.

Jim

Tags
identify , thai