The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 8, 2011, 05:45 PM   #1
fishblade2

best .22 rifle?

I have heard of ruger 10/22 rifle being the best but are there any better? What would you recommend upgrading on a 10/22 to make it better? Also would anyone recommend making a 10/22 into a match grade gun?
Old August 8, 2011, 06:03 PM   #2
tAKticool

What is the meaning of life? LOL.

I admit I'm anti 10.22 - its definitely N OT the best, it's probably definitely the most ubiquitous and it's a cult of personality.

tell us a little bit more about your wants needs and desires and how you invision it.
Old August 8, 2011, 06:19 PM   #3
l98ster

It all depends on what you mean by best?? If you are talking accuracy, it certainly isn't the best. My cz 452 will shoot circles around the 10/22. However, the after market for the ruger is unmatched. With enough money, you will really enjoy that 10/22.

I have a friend that owns 17 10/22's. He has them from stock to ultimate bench rifles. His best bench rifles will shoot as well if jot a little better than my stock cz 452.

To get 1/2 inch accuracy at 50 yards with a 10/22 you will be in the $600 all said and done. Once you are there, you will love it. If you are looking for a plinker, a stock 10/22 with a decent trigger job is all you will need.

Although there are definitely more accurate guns out there, I am definitely looking forward to my next 10/22 build.

-George
Old August 8, 2011, 06:22 PM   #4
SurplusShooter

I would look at some Anschutz if you want match grade .22's.
Old August 8, 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
fishblade2

First of all sorry for posting an opinion like that. I should of actually said it different. I did mean though that the ruger seemed to be the best for accuracy from what I heard if upgraded right. I was actually going to edit this post some but here is a better idea now that I have actually researched some these past hours: I pretty much want a match gun .22. I want the best .22 rifle I can get for accuracy. I'm looking into a savage or a ruger with upgrades. I am wanting it not just for accuracy at close but far distances as well. Questions I have for the savage are as following: I don't really know the difference in all of their mark II match guns. Can anyone first help me with this? http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/. What aftermarket pieces should I put on the gun to make it better whether it's a different stock, barrel, etc (if needed). I want to put a nice scope on it. I have looked at leupold some, and I'm going to look at some of Meuller. I'm not sure about this topic though because everyone has an idea on it. I want the best I could get for a pretty good price. I know that I would want one with good parallax but I don't know what brands have this on their guns. Lastly I really need to know what scope mounts would be the best around to put on it since I will be putting a nice scope on the gun. Now if savage isn't what I should go with since the Ruger 10/22 has the most upgradable market then some help answering what should go onto it to help shoot with the most accuracy. Thanks!
Old August 8, 2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Hawg

A 10/22 is a good plinker but almost anything is more accurate out of the box. The 10/22 has more upgrades than anything else. Unfortunately it needs them to be accurate. So why spend 600 bucks to have a gun that shoots as well as one that costs under 200 to begin with?
Old August 8, 2011, 08:21 PM   #7
GONIF

For a bargin 22 semi that beats the 1022 get a marlin 60 .for a better 22 semi Remington speedmaster . for a 22 bolt gun CZ 452, for the best bolt gun Anschutz $$$$$ . for a lever 22 Marlin 39a $$$$$$. bigest bang for the buck is still a Marlin60 .
Old August 8, 2011, 08:21 PM   #8
JACK308

out of the box ready...................SAVAGE!
Old August 8, 2011, 08:42 PM   #9
tAKticool

I got me 3 rimfire .22LR's right now (always could use more LOL!) ... three different distinct guns 3 distinct different purposes.

Remington 597 .22LR semi-auto scoped 'sporter'
Savage Mark II .22LR bolt-action scoped 'sporter'
S&W M&P 15-22 .22LR autoloading tactical AR style

therefore with this setup it's gravy baby, i got it all smothered.
Old August 8, 2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Shoes

I've neard it said that Ruger's 10-22 has so many aftermarket patrs because , "IT NEEDS THEM". Not so accurate out of the box.

Marlin 795 will do a much better job at a much better price.

My opinion is surely not shared by many.... Ken
Old August 8, 2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Buzzcook

It all depends on what you plan to do with the rifle.

The 10/22 is fine and dandy as plinker or just for fun. The mods can make it more accurate. But imho most of the mods are more just for fun and looks.
Old August 9, 2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Bamashooter

With good ammo a 10/22 shoots just fine. If you want to spend some more money in upgrades you will have the most accurate rifle on the block. The thing about the 10/22 is people treat it just like the AR, The base model is good, spend ever how much you want when you want and one day your shooting a sure nuff accurate rifle. Same with the AR, it takes money and other parts to get one that will really shoot. Some folks just flat out dont like them, just like the AR. Some 10/22's and some AR's will shoot fine bone stock, but when you start spending money you start shrinking groups.

Last edited by Bamashooter; August 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old August 9, 2011, 12:03 AM   #13
montelores

Have you considered a CZ?

Monty
Old August 9, 2011, 08:09 AM   #14
skoro

best .22 rifle?

Related question: "what's the best tire?"
Old August 9, 2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Blackshirts

Quote:
My cz 452 will shoot circles around the 10/22.
Although you don't want it to shoot in circles, unless that circle is a 5 shot group through the same hole.

Quote:
Marlin 795 will do a much better job at a much better price.

My opinion is surely not shared by many
It's shared by me. I will take my Marlin 795 over a base 10/22 any day. And for half the price of the 10/22 at that. The Marlin 60 is the same action, but I prefer magazine fed over tube fed.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:55 AM   #16
BrittB

Best 22 rifle is an open question. Ask 20 people, get 20 different answers. I like my Remington 581s as it fit's me. See, different than everybody else. You need to find a way to shoot the one your considering and go from there.
Old August 9, 2011, 01:24 PM   #17
rr2241tx

fishblade2 clarified:
Quote:
I pretty much want a match gun .22. I want the best .22 rifle I can get for accuracy.
If your pocket is deep enough Bleiker is generally regarded as the most accurate match .22LR. Somewhat less breathtaking is the Walther KK or UIT and Anschutz 54. If you want a top shelf repeater, look up Tony Kidd at Kidd Inovative Designs and let him wring out your wallet for you.
Old August 9, 2011, 02:33 PM   #18
Te Anau

As a line,nothing beats Savage overall.Ruger 10/22's are super popular but I've never been able to figure out why.
Old August 9, 2011, 05:25 PM   #19
Freightman

Marlin 60 is the cheapest shooting I have ever had it will shoot any ammo at a reasonable accuracy I use the bulk pack Federal from Wal Mart never had a misfire in thousands of rounds, also have a Winchester 190 (bad trigger) but it will shoot just as accurate and as reliable if you watch the barrel tends to get loose after 5000 or so rounds. I have a Winchester M55 single shot automatic that will put the shots in the same hole but kinda rare. For a bolt the CZ will not cost you a arm and leg and is very good and accurate more so than I can shoot. But it is according to your use if you are going to be competitive in the 22 matches I have been to around have very deep pockets and use a rifle that weighs about what a VW car does. and never have more than a one hole group in the dead center of the X.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:08 PM   #20
Rimfire5

Dispite my site name, I now have 7 22 rimfires. All have about the same scopes and all were tested from a bench with a bipod and rear bag. The BC Match and BC Combo have Volquartsen trigger groups and are named for their type of Butler Creek Barrels. All others are factory stock.
In order of accuracy based their 5 favorite ammos and hundreds of measured groups each, they are:
Rifle -------Avg 5 favorites-------Avg 2 Favorites----Best brand
Cooper 57M--------.339----------- .316-----------Eley EPS Match
Kidd 10-22---------.367------------.327-----------Lapua Center-X
Sako Quad---------.380------------.392-----------Lapua Midas
BC Match 10-22----.428------------.399-----------Eley EPS Match
BC Combo 10-22----.455-----------.424----------Lapua Center-X
Kimber SVT---------.484-----------.458----------Wolf Match Extra
1994 10-22 Int'l------ (Unmeasured - measurements to start next week)

We also measured two other 10-22s using different shooters and are just beginning on a CZ 455. They also have the same range of scopes.
Kidd 10-22---------.411-------------.369----------Lapua Center-X
Ruger Target-------.478-------------.461----------Wolf Match Target
CZ 455-------------.527-------------.451----------Wolf Match Extra

Based upon the data, my Kidd gives most of the bolt actions a run for the money with the exception of my Cooper. The Cooper is in a class by itself.
The CZ hasn't had enough rounds through it yet to have found its real favorites and it also needs a trigger job. The factory trigger is not very good.
I'm sure there are CZs out there that shoot better.

Last edited by Rimfire5; August 9, 2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Line up columns
Old August 9, 2011, 07:27 PM   #21
B. Lahey

ANSCH√úTZ
Old August 9, 2011, 07:47 PM   #22
.300 Weatherby Mag

Find a brand new gun that will beat this Zastava Z5 in the under $250 category... Five shots of Federal #510 at 50 yards... Lets see your factory stock 10/22 carbine do this...

For Cool Factor and great accuracy:

Unless you have a Win. 52, 40X, Cooper or Annie I will beat you badly with this.... My buddy with an Annie is mad at me right now ...

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; August 9, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:52 PM   #23
SRH78

The great thing about the 10/22 is that the possible ways to customize it are nearly endless. You can put enough money in one to make it shoot well, but there are plenty of better choices if accuracy is what you are after. My CZ 452 shoots sub moa at 100 yards with several types of ammo and doesn't need expensive "match" ammo to do it. Other than putting a shim and lighter spring on the trigger, it is stock. There are other bolt actions that are good choices as well. Some cost less. Some cost more. Some cost a lot more. Generally speaking, a quality bolt action is going to outshoot a 10/22. Sure, you can change out the barrel, trigger, and whatever else and make the 10/22 shoot a lot better but you can also do those things to other rifles as well. The first step is to figure out what you want and what you are willing to spend. If you want a semiauto that can be heavily customized, the 10/22 is the way to go. If you want a tackdriver and are willing to pay for it, you have better options, imo.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:12 PM   #24
smith357

In recent Olympic Style shooting events Anschutz has the most Gold medals, in the .22 bench rest games they are all custom built using actions like a Rem 40X, Annie 54, or Win 52, to name a few. At Camp Perry this year in the 2011 National Rimfire Sporter Championship CZ 452s pretty much outnumber all other brands combined by a 2 to 1 margin. Though for the last 3 years running the winner of the T-Class has been a Kimber Hunter, it makes me proud to own one.

100 yard groups with cheap Federal 714

Last edited by smith357; August 9, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old August 9, 2011, 10:06 PM   #25
Danny Creasy

I have a very accurate Kimber Hunter as well but for the life of me, I don't see how young Lucas Boord gets his to feed that reliably to keep winning at Perry. Mine shaves cases or sends them nose up into the barrel metal above the chamber, or the finicky magazine falls out while feeding because it didn't latch up satisfactorily. I love the rifle but it is a single shot sporter class bench rest rifle for me with a T-36 on top. Have tried four different Kimber factory mags and only the one that came with it is half way decent. If I had one reliably functioning mag, I would shoot my Kimber each year at Perry as well.

I have shot a CZ American with the factory trigger set to just over 3 lbs (required minimum via the rules) at Perry for the past four years. But, I have another lighter triggered American that has some new glass. I mounted a new Weaver Grand Slam 6-20X40 on the Brooks Kit triggered (13 oz release) CZ 452 American Saturday night in a set of high B Square air rifle rings and headed to the range Sunday afternoon:

I purchased a case (5000 rounds) of Aguila Std Velocity from the CMP Store North at Camp Perry a couple of weeks ago. I decided to zero the rifle at 25 yards in anticipation of next weekend's Rapidfire Rimfire Match (a timed speed shoot with handicapping for action types i.e. semi-auto, bolt, lever, pump).

The new scope is great. Head movement tests revealed the AO settings to be spot on. The duplex reticle has a fine crosshaired center with a 1/8th moa target dot. The clarity was fantastic. The scope tracked like a sidewinder missile. I shot several groups with a power change in between and observed no shift in POI - even a 20 to 6 change.

The Aguila Std Vel did well. With the scope dialed to 20 power, the final group of the day was this five shot one fired at a tiny emblem in the corner of the target paper. I also had fun shooting at the little vertical and horizontal numbers on the edge of the target (one can just discern a bullet smudge on the "6" in the upper left hand corner from one of these hits).

I finished up with some offhand rapidfire practice at 25 yards using a pig/circle steel spinner. Hits were fast and frequent (power ring set to 10X) with the spinner just slowing down as the next cycled round was in the chamber. Of my seven CZ rimfire rifles, this particular American has always been the easiest to cycle. 100% reliable at feeding and ejecting every type of .22 LR ammo ever tried in it. Not the most accurate CZ I own but a good shooter with a balance that seems to simply dance for me.

The Grand Slam is nice glass. Virtually worth as much as the rifle and that is what I have often heard recommended.

The best bang for buck in a .22 rifle is one from the CZ line of rimfires.

Danny

Last edited by Danny Creasy; August 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM.