The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 3, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1
tahunua001

wild hogs/feral pigs ?

hello all,
I'm sure this has been asked several times before but I'll ask the stupid questions anyway.
what's the difference between a wild hog and a feral pig?
how large do they normally get?
are they normally a long range shot or can you usually get pretty close to them?
I know my state has just started getting reports of them and are losing their freakin minds trying to get rid of them, do most states regulate hunts for them or are they pretty much held in the same regard as skunks and racoons?
I'm not asking what the best gun or caliber to use simply because I know that generally tends to start feuds on here
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 3, 2011, 06:57 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
what's the difference between a wild hog and a feral pig?
Different spelling... That is all.

If you find a breed of swine that has bever been "domesticated" at one point in history, it would be, in fact, a WILD HOG... But if at any time, that breed was domsetic livestock, the ones running loose are officially "feral"...

Wild means "of the wild" where feral defines "once domestic but now living as wild" not just that individual but that breed of that specie... That is how I learned it anyway...

Brent
Old August 3, 2011, 07:20 PM   #3
BIG P

A hog is a hog,& your state is right dont wait get them now.Before you know it you have a problem.Here in GA.We have no closed season on pigs or limits & they're still everywhere.
Old August 3, 2011, 07:31 PM   #4
GURU1911

Wild hog problem in texas

My home-state currently has the largest population of wild hogs in the us. You can kill them everyday, no bag limits, archery-rifle-handgun----can hunt day or night.

Btw: Anything < 200 pounds is excellent for the dining table !!!!!

If hogs are starting to move into the state of idaho & you do not start immediately to harvest them, you can kiss your potato crop good-by for decades.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old August 3, 2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Geezerbiker

Swine are not native to the the Americas. The Spanish explorers released the first ones in the late 1400s. Later on European and Russian wild boar were released for hunting in the USA. After all these years if interbreeding, they're all mixed up and feral...

Some people use feral and wild interchangeably even though they have different meanings. There are no wild swine in America like there are no wild horses since neither are native species here.

Tony
Old August 3, 2011, 08:07 PM   #6
JACK308

I wish some would migrate up to Wis.
Old August 3, 2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Problem is, some become many. Many become too many. Too many becomes a nightmare.
Old August 3, 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
It is more than likely there are some wild and/or feral hogs in Wisconsin already.
Old August 3, 2011, 08:55 PM   #9
tahunua001

well I'm not sure how much of this story is actually true but apparently 8 years ago an old lady that lived down the road from my mothers place had a pet house pig and when she died her husband didn't feel right butchering his deceased wife's pet pig so he just let it run free around the countryside. now I don't know if that is true or not but now about 8 years later my mother and her neighbors are frequented by a 250-300 pound pot belly pig with 4 inch tusks. I'm sure that if it's the same pig he's alone cause we don't have them all over the place.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 3, 2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Hog Buster

The first hogs brought into this area (South Louisiana) were by the Spanish in the 1500’s. The conquistadors were pretty good soldiers and explorers, but not too good at building hog pens. Right away their swine staged a breakout and roamed this area, free at last. They proved to be much better at cover and concealment than the Spanish soldiers and so were never recaptured. After a few centuries of procreation, many times with their now domestic brethren, they filled a vacant niche in the wildlife chain. Consuming farmers crops, how shall we say, they live high on the hog.

Enter us Coonasses (Cajuns), who’ll eat anything, and these “wild hogs” became fast food, sometimes really fast. I might mention here that they’re excellent table fare. Since then these original escapees (wild/feral) have propagated to the point that they’re better at it than we are. They’re everywhere, except maybe running for public office, but still a nuisance.....
Old August 3, 2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Goatwhiskers

Are you sure they're not in public office? Goat
Old August 4, 2011, 12:10 AM   #12
BigBadPigg

1. there basicly the same thing.
2. some get pretty big, I've killed a 500lb pound boar. But most are in the 150-250 range.
3. most of my shots here are under 100 yards, shortest being 20 yards. Longest being 200 yards.
4. In my state they are pest. Because they are invasive (not from here/ have no natural predators and multiply like rabbits). my state wants them exterminated. you can hunt them in Texas at 12oclock at night with a spotlight, and an ak47 with a drum mag! No one cares there so destructive everyone wants them gone.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:52 AM   #13
PoorRichRichard

Willing to help Texas Farmers

If there are any farmers in Texas with hog problems willing to put me up, I'd love to come out and hunt the piggies every day for a week. All I need is a place to shower and cook. I can sleep in the back of my comfy camper shell truck. Lookin to head out in mid fall, maybe late September-October. PM me.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:43 AM   #14
C0untZer0

I think Wisconsin must have wild boars / feral hogs. For one thing, any place where there has been decades of pig farms there have been escapees, either because they just break out, or severe wind storms/tornadoes etc... For another, Illinois has a problem with feral hogs, so if they're in Illinois they are in Wisconsin, Indiana and Missouri.

This map shows Illinois and Wisconsin to be relatively hog free

http://128.192.20.53/nfsms/

If you read the Wisconsin specific map it shows them on the western border - kind of west of Madison. But the national map also shows heavy populations north of Wisconsin in Michigan from Iron Mountain to Marquette.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/...eralPigMap.pdf

I know so many people in Wisconsin who love to hunt deer and quail... all of the hunters in WI have to know that if they allow swine to invade, the deer and bird populations are going to decline.

There are people who want to hunt pigs so badly that they purposely free them. There are also outfitters who free hogs on their sort of private reserves and charge people to hunt the hogs. But both of these practices results in the spread of hogs which are devastating to crops, farms in general, the environment in general and other species. I want to put in my usual admonition that state government start punishing those people with severe fines.

Feral Pigs are causing about $800 million in damage every year - that's HUGE !

It's not right that farmers suffer economic damage while some hunters and outfitters reap benefits from hunting or selling canned hunts.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:35 AM   #15
rickyrick

Most are pretty close shots. Around here, if left alone, they develop habits....

so i just figure out where they will show up and about what time, and wait in the dark. If they are working real hard at depredation, they dont realize that I am even there until the shot is fired... but sometimes they never show up.

Heavy mesquite is why the shots are at close range...different terrain may be different distances
Old August 4, 2011, 07:00 AM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
You take that back, you do not want feral pigs running around, at least you don't if you are a landowner. Some head up his tail end wise guy brought a semi truck load of Russian mix up to Wisconsin from Texas a few years ago with the stupid idea of making a game animal for hunting. The brain dead SOB did not take into account that they have no natural enemies up here and they breed as bad as cats. The root up freshly plowed fields, ruin the undergrowth in the woods, break fences and break into domestic hog pens to eat their food. They carry diseases because unlike the domestic varieties they have never been vaccinated and the wrong disease can wipe out a farmers whole inventory and break him financially.

You want pigs to shoot just come to Crawford/Grant county and have at it and don't stop shooting till you get all of the no good vermin. There is a reason there is open season on them. We Want Them Gone.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 4, 2011, 07:03 AM   #17
PawPaw

I hunt in Rapides and LaSalle parishes in Louisiana. Some areas have a lot of hogs, some don't. On my main lease in LaSalle parish, we haven't seen a hog in four years. Nor any evidence of them. Other leases in the area report having hogs, but for some reason they're noticeably absent from our 800 acres.

We do have one iron-clad rule on our lease. If a hog is seen, he's to be shot immediately. You can do with it what you will, afterwards, but the hunter is obliged to take the shot.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 4, 2011, 10:06 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Wildlife biologists from Texas Parks & Wildlife have stated that it only takes a few generations for domesticated hogs to physically revert toward wild-hog characteristics. Lean bodies, longer snouts, tusks.

Why this change occurs is unknown to me. Not sure anybody really knows the why of it. "Going feral" will make behavioral changes to some extent in horses and cattle, but little change in physical characteristics in the genetic sense.
Old August 4, 2011, 10:12 AM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The heavily Hmong influenced areas of Wi. do, in fact, have a viable fear hog population.

These look very much like pure or near pure pot belly. Probably some breed from their native region of the orient.

The feral hog population got a massive boost in the early to mid 80's when the pork market nearly collapsed...

I remember $.08 per pound to the selling farmer (before paying % to the auction) At those rates, the small time farmer lterally could not cover feed costs let alone barn and fence upkeep.

Brent
Old August 4, 2011, 11:06 AM   #20
rickyrick

I Patiently await the feral cow problem.....no luck yet
Old August 4, 2011, 11:12 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While not a "problem" per se but when your hog dogs bay a feral cow in the swamp and you send 2 heavy hitter bulldogs to catch... It goes all sorts of "rodeo" (pun fully intended) with a quickness!

There are a few hundred to a few thousand head of feral cattle in the florida woods and swamps at any given time...

Brent
Old August 4, 2011, 11:19 AM   #22
rickyrick

Wow, really?

Are They open game?

.......Loading the truck now, Florida or bust
Old August 4, 2011, 11:44 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Just like feral pigs, feral cattle, in florida, are the property of the land owner... if he/she gives the go ahead... FAIR GAME!!!

A farmer told a buddy of mine who reported a cattle catch to him... "Why the hell didn't you shoot the sonuva... he has been tearing up fences for 2 years and I never see him when I got a gun with me on the tractor..."

Brent
Old August 4, 2011, 02:08 PM   #24
noelf2

Quote:
There are a few hundred to a few thousand head of feral cattle in the florida woods and swamps at any given time...
They're called Florida Cracker Cow. Spanish brought them as well. They're closely related to longhorn but their long horns bow kinda forward rather than curl out like a regular longhorn. Not likely that they'll ever be a problem. Don't breed as fast, and not much for them to eat in the swamps so they stay small. They're endangered, and would probably just die out if people didn't try to keep them going. Not much like the hog problem.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:27 PM   #25
C0untZer0

Foxes like hogs are an example of how domestication or the reverse - (domesticated foxes let loose), undergo pysiological changes.

In the case of foxes their coats change color.

For the hogs, I'm not sure if it's a case of loosed domestic pigs interbreeding with wild hogs and the off spring increasingly become more like wild hogs or what.

it may also be a case that out of any given litter - the ones that end up looking like a farm pig don't survive like the ones who are genetically lean and lanky, fast on their feet and have the better tusks.

I was at the county fair this past weekend - a lot of great pig pigs! When I looked at their big ol buts I thought: "Mmmm mmmmm - look at those hams!"