The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 31, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Yung.gunr

.22lr vs .22 mag

So I'm new to revolvers and I am confused as to why you can shoot a .38 special through a .357 but you can't shoot a .22lr through a .22mag? It seems that if the only difference with the case is the length then you should be able to shoot the shorter .22lr through a .22 mag revolver. I understand with semiautos you can't because of the length and chambering the round, but with a revolver you don't have that issue.

What am I missing?
Old July 31, 2011, 10:38 PM   #2
stevieboy

.22 mag is not only longer than .22 lr but it actually is slightly larger in diameter. Thus, a .22 lr round will not fit securely in a .22 mag chamber. There are "convertible" revolvers like the Ruger Single Six that have different cylinders for the different rounds. But, these guns are not known for their accuracy, particularly when firing the .22 lr through a barrel that is slightly larger in diameter than the .22 lr round.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Sport45

The .22lr uses a heeled bullet. The case diameter and bullet diameter are the same. The .22mag uses a conventional bullet set inside the case. This means even though the bullets are within .001" of the same diameter the .22mag has a larger diameter case and thus a larger diameter chamber.

You can shoot .22lr in a .22mag chamber (not recommended, but not likely to cause injury), but you'll get a lot of case splitting and you won't be impressed with the accuracy. The convertible revolvers that fire both rounds have a dedicated cylinder for each.
Old August 1, 2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Daryl

Quote:
What am I missing?
The posters above explained it pretty well.

You can shoot .48 special in a .357 mag because the only difference is the cartridge length. All other dimensions of the case and bullet are the same. This is also true of .44 mag/.44 special, .45 Colt/.454 Casull, etc.

But the .22 LR/.22 mag are only the same in that they basically both shoot .22 caliber bullets.

Daryl
Old August 1, 2011, 06:51 AM   #5
longranger

.22 Mag is a fairly under rated cartridge,splendid small game cartridge.I'll take a .22 Mag over a .17 HMR any day.
Old August 1, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Missionary

Good morning
Over the years I have shot numerous rounds of 22 LR in a 22 Mag bolt rifle. All the previous is true but also if you do make this a common practice be aware you will have a powder & lead built up in the 22 Mag chamber in front of where the 22 LR cartrige ends. One or 5 rounds is not drastic but if you choose to fire lets say a 50 round box you may not be able to chamber a 22 Mag cartrige due to this buildup.. plus if you can actually chamber a round the brass may not be able to expand normally releasing the bullet correctly which can cause excessive internal pressures.
Just so you know... this can also happen with any chamber when numerous shorter brass cartriges are fired.
Mike in Peru
Old August 24, 2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Doug Bowser

The .22 Magnum has little advantage over a .22 LR in a handgun. Unfortunately the .22 Magnum ammo is designed for rifles and uses slow burning powder. It burns a lot of powder outside the barrel of a handgun and does not build up the velocity it does in a rifle.

I have chronographed my Ruger Single Six Convertible and there is only a few feet per second difference in the two rounds.

Doug
Old August 24, 2011, 03:39 PM   #8
DeronW

.22lr vs. .22 mag

I too have chronographed .22 LR and .22 Mag in my Single six and had just the opposite result. .22 LR is between 1000-1100 fps, .22 Magnum is 1500-1600 fps. That is a substantial difference.
Old August 24, 2011, 03:55 PM   #9
carguychris

FWIW a shorter, lower-powered version of the .22Mag aka .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire does in fact exist- it's the .22 Winchester Rimfire aka .22WRF, the .22Mag's parent cartridge.

That said, .22WRF is obsolescent and hard to find, and it doesn't cost much less than .22WMR, so this probably doesn't do you much good.
Old August 25, 2011, 08:03 AM   #10
woad_yurt

Quote:
The .22 Magnum has little advantage over a .22 LR in a handgun.
I loudly disagree. I have two convertibles, a 5.5" High Standard Double Nine and a 7.5" H&R 676. Out of the HS, the magnums penetrate quite a bit more than do .22LR. In the longer barrelled H&R, the difference is even greater.

A while back, a similar thread inspired me to see for myself so I shot both guns w/both rounds into the same 2X4s from the same distance and the magnums penetrated more. However, I can't speak for what happens with really short barrels like those on those mini-guns made by NAA.
Old August 26, 2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Win73

Quote:
However, I can't speak for what happens with really short barrels like those on those mini-guns made by NAA.
I can. Several years ago I penetration tested .22 magnum out of a mini revolver, .22 LR out of an Iver Johnson TP22, and .22 short out of a Beretta Minx. All short barreled guns. The LR penetrated most, the short was second, and the magnum was dead last. That's right, even the .22 short out penetrated the .22 magnum.

I was so surprised by the results that I called CCI and asked them about it. They told me just what has already been stated, that the magnum was designed as a rifle round with slow burning powder. The short barrel just wasn't long enough to burn the powder and generate sufficient velocity.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old August 27, 2011, 09:07 AM   #12
Hammerhead

There are some new .22 mag loads out there designed for short barrel pistols, Hornady IIRC. I would imagine that means faster powders and bullets tuned for revolver velocities.

I bought a 10" single shot Contender barrel in .22 mag that someone had fired .22lr in. Lets just say they chamber was a mess and the end of the chamber had a nasty lead ring where the bullets were being shaved by the shoulder at the end of the chamber.

Once I got it cleaned out, it was the most accurate of my Contender barrels. I used it in IHMSA Field Pistol competition. Just enough oomph to take the half scale rams at 100 yards with the 50 grain Federal load.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:37 PM   #13
plom

if you have a 22 magnum revolver you can cut a 22 mag empty case, put a 22 LR round in the cuted 22 mag case and shoot safely this way. It's not very accurate but safe.
Old September 22, 2011, 03:56 PM   #14
greyeyezz

Quote:
I can. Several years ago I penetration tested .22 magnum out of a mini revolver, .22 LR out of an Iver Johnson TP22, and .22 short out of a Beretta Minx. All short barreled guns. The LR penetrated most, the short was second, and the magnum was dead last. That's right, even the .22 short out penetrated the .22 magnum.

I was so surprised by the results that I called CCI and asked them about it. They told me just what has already been stated, that the magnum was designed as a rifle round with slow burning powder. The short barrel just wasn't long enough to burn the powder and generate sufficient velocity.

These tests seem to dispute what you are saying.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/22minis.html

http://www.brassfetcher.com/NAAminiR...r22Magnum.html
Old September 22, 2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Win73

Quote:
Quote:

These tests seem to dispute what you are saying.
I will say that my tests were several years ago, maybe as much as 15 years. I don't remember exactly. If in that time the ammo companies have loaded rounds with faster burning powder for the mini revolvers, that would make a difference.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.