The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 2011, 12:05 PM   #51
Deja vu

Quote:
Ours here in Colorado aren't small either. This one loves to hand around in my back yard.

Very good looking deer there. Much bigger than any deer I have shot. I still think a 357 magnum rifle would work (at the correct range).

Isnt it nice to live in the Mountians where we can see deer like this? There is a heard of about 15 (give or take) that frequent my land here in Idaho but none of them are that big.

all 23 of my guns are 45/70 govt 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old August 1, 2011, 01:13 PM   #52
tahunua001

ok guys lets get on topic

did my post contain the text "30-30"? I didn't ask what a better round would be, I asked if a 357 from an 18 inch barrel could kill a deer at 100 yards.

I've seen a 22lr kill a deer inside 100 yards(though it's not legal in the sate I currently live in).
I've seen a 30-30 will kill a deer at 200 yards.
I've seen a 223 kill one at 250,
I've seen a 7mm rem mag knock a deer off its feet at 400.
I know there are lots of better rounds out there for longer shots, but I'm starting to get to the phase of my life where I'm starting to look at challenge over death count. I have a 223, 243, and a 300 weatherby for any day that I want to kill a deer at a distance. so again, I'm not comparing chambering, I just want to know if I can kill a 200 pound deer within 100 yards and I'm starting to see a pattern that says yes
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 3, 2011, 10:54 PM   #53
Daekar

Just thought I'd post a bit more support for hunting with a 357 out to 150 yards... it's an article at leverguns.com, and has quite a bit of very specific load and velocity data, plus interesting comparisons to deer and bear-killing cartridges of old. The data is completely and irrefutably conclusive: at ranges up to 150 yards and loaded to the upper parts of the SAAMI spec, the 357 is more than enough power to take most animals in the US.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm
Old August 4, 2011, 09:52 AM   #54
tahunua001

sorry guys

well now I'm just a little bummed. the gravy train dried up as it where so I probably will not be able to get me my levergun now. still I would like to thank everyone for their useful information. sorry for all the turf wars this thread caused.
good luck
god bless
try not to kill eachother
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:53 AM   #55
Alaska444

I actually got my 1894c Marlin in .357 for my wife who is quite recoil shy as woods gun for her. She will never shoot a .357 handgun due to the recoil, but I may yet get her to go with the Marlin, still working on it. I was impressed with the ballistics in an 18.5 inch barrel, especially the Buffalo Bore 180 gr bullets as others have already mentioned which really is in the 30-30 range.

It is also an all around survival gun as well, lightweight, powerful enough with the right shot placement to kill a black bear or cougar, and large enough to take small and medium size game. Not sure what all the heartburn is about this, but wow, it is a very versatile cartridge and for recoil sensitive folks, it is a whole lot better than a sling shot out in the woods.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:06 PM   #56
jmr40

You can argue numbers and legalities all you want. A 180 gr 357 bullet fired from a 6" or longer barrel will give you a complete pass through on typical deer at 100 yards. That equals a dead deer. The trick is hitting one at that range.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:47 PM   #57
tynimiller

I've been looking at adding a lever action pistol caliber rifle for awhile now, and .357 was original thought due to having a pistol in the same caliber....however after researching it more I've decided to go with .44 or .45lc. The reason being that, while the .357 is a capable deer caliber it isn't nearly as reliable as the .44 or the .45lc. And since I have none of the above why not go with something slightly bigger than the .357?

However if I already had a .357 rifle I'd just make sure I have a proper load, keep distances 100yds or under and practice so I know I can put the bullet right where I'm aiming (shot placement crucial!).
Old August 4, 2011, 08:40 PM   #58
Discern

Why not get two? One in .357 Mag and one in .44 Mag?
Old August 5, 2011, 05:28 AM   #59
Jack O'Conner

I've taken several deer and one cow elk with my 357 MAG. All killed at archery distances of less than 35 yards with open sights. In my opinion, 357 MAG is a short range cartridge for big game. For 100 yards and beyond, I recommend a larger case such as 30 Herrett, 30-30, 35 Remington, and others chambered in single shot hand-cannons.

44 MAG is a very lethal cartridge that kills far better than paper charts suggest. It kills well because the bullet tears large holes through chest organs. Recoil is not bad in a short carbine. My favorite bullet: 240 grain XTP by Hornady.

Jack
Old August 20, 2011, 02:48 PM   #60
thibaultfelix40

357 carbine

I would not hesatate to hunt deer with a 357 even a 3" barrel revolver. I must point out that I live in serious woods. Several times while hunting I have picked out a rock or stump that was as far away as I could Identify and stepped off the distance. The longest distance is 35 steps. I apply this to me hunting in southern woods. I had a Rossi 92 357 that didnot feed well. When I fired full power 357 it kicked like my Win 94 30/30 which feeds slicker than owl grease. I see no advantage to having a handgun/rifle combo of the same caliber. I traded the Rossi and some cash for a Savage 99 308.
Old August 30, 2011, 02:33 PM   #61
Jayhawkhuntclub

If you have trouble killing a deer (even a 300 pounder) with a 357 then at least one of these is true:

1) You need more practice
2) You picked the wrong projectile
3) You picked a very poor shot angle
Old August 30, 2011, 02:54 PM   #62
tynimiller

Jayhawk...

or

#4 You are shooting "target shooting" at a distance greater than 125-175 yards...

couldn't resist.
Old August 31, 2011, 09:43 PM   #63
Deja vu

As stated before if you keep your shots to archery range you should be just fine so long as you do your part.

all 23 of my guns are 45/70 govt 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old September 1, 2011, 01:18 AM   #64
youngunz4life

I own a 44 mag lever gun and it is a great caliber rifle. I wanted a little extra in my rifle shot but the 357 is a killer whether 2 or 4 legged. When we have hunted I have had the 357 6" gp100 on my side and my 44lever. I haven't gotten any kills with the ruger 357 but I haven't had that many opportunities for a handgun shot either. One must choose what they are comfortable with, but it seems obvious that those with the confidence in the 357 for deer hunting have that confidence for a reason. As far as the law, its best to just go over and above to clear the limit unless you are diehard stubborn for whatever reason depending on the situation(in which case you should be able to verbally communicate your lawful right).
Old September 1, 2011, 07:55 AM   #65
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
well now I'm just a little bummed. the gravy train dried up as it where so I probably will not be able to get me my levergun now. still I would like to thank everyone for their useful information. sorry for all the turf wars this thread caused.
good luck
god bless
try not to kill eachother
Not to worry, you could have made your choice 454 Casull and the arguments would have been the same with some arguing you need a .338 Magnum and to be sure the shot should be inside 50' and the only bullet that could be reasonably trusted to make a fast humane kill Was Billy Joes home rolled re-manufactured ammo and could only be bought in person at Silly Slicers General Store...If you had references. My .357 served me well from 1972 to 2001 when I finally discovered old man's eyes and passed on an easy shot at 60 yards. I couldn't see the deer as clearly as I would have liked. Limitation is mine not the gun.

Don't give up there is a lever gun out there with your name on it, you just haven't met yet.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 3, 2011, 07:43 AM   #66
357 Terms

The 357 is plenty, my 6.5 Blackhawk pushes my 180grn XTP's out at a little less than 1400fps (handloads) and shoots the same load at over 1600 outa my Marlin! 100yrds is well within the range...easily!
Old September 3, 2011, 08:02 AM   #67
JimPage

I killed a deer with the 357 mag 180 grain semi jacketed semi wadcutter at a bit over 100 yards, I'd guess 115. I have a scope on an 8 inch S&W revolver.
The deer dropped in its tracks. Plenty of power in that round!
Old September 3, 2011, 10:18 AM   #68
tahunua001

HOLY RESERECTED THREADS, Batman! lol
it's alive! mwahahaha
Old September 3, 2011, 10:55 AM   #69
kraigwy

Shot at about 15 yards, sucker was going after my patrol car. (didn't like my flashing lights).

150 Grn LSWC at about 1300 FPS, out of a 4 in Model 28.

Shot this guy at 15 feet with the same gun/ammo combo as above. Ignor the rifle, that was a staged photo for my Remington Rolling block.

Got to admit, I had to shoot it twice. First round bounced off its head. Long story.

Wyoming requires that to use a pistol for hunting big game, it much develope at least 500 ft Lbs at 100 yards. You can't do that safely. but the above bullet out of my Marlin 1894 Cowboy will do it. Problem is, Wyoming also gives a min. oal of a rifle round for big game hunting, the 357, regardless of revolver or rifle will do that.

Assuming that it was legal. If I was to hunt in my back pasture where I knew I could keep the shots under 100 yards I wouldnt have any problem using my Marlin. But if I was actually going hunting, I'd take my Model 70.

I don't really hunt on my property. I save my deer to teach my grand kids to hunt. I make them use, either my 257 or wifes 243.

If I was going after camp meat for diner (again, it it was legal) I wouldn't hesitate taking the Marlin.

To solve the legal problem (if you have one where you are) get the same gun in 44 Mag. Here, (Wyoming) the 44 mag, even in a pistol "is presumed to develope the required energy at 100 yards".

I have a lot of guns that would be fun to hunt with, my problem is I have more guns then hunting seasons left cause I'm old.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 3, 2011, 12:31 PM   #70
treg

I agree with most of the praise and ability claims made of the .357 mag as a rifle round in this thread.

However, a .44 Mag lever gun is just as cool as a .357, offers lots more horsepower at the top end, is just as versatile, and the guns are the same size.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old September 22, 2011, 11:04 PM   #71
RMcL

Funny...

...how firearms power comparisons became linked to a formula originally arrived at to describe the work of a vertical stroke steam engine!
Old September 23, 2011, 10:08 AM   #72
tahunua001

holy thread ressurection batman!!!
Old September 23, 2011, 01:47 PM   #73
salvadore

My first Deer kill was a 4 point in eastern Idaho. Killed it with a SAA Colt 2nd Gen. .357 loaded with a RCBS 150gr cast SWC in a .38 case with probably 5gr. of Unique. One shot kill at about 25yds.
My last Deer a fork horn just outside of Copper Basin Idaho. Shot with a S&W Model 66 loaded with .357 reload using a jacketed hp of forgotten make and load. One shot kill at 120 paces(I know, I was surprised too). Recovered the bullet in a deadfall barely stuck in a tree trunk with no expansion.

My limited experience suggests shooting lotsa (bunches?) of rounds to be able to place your shot in a timely and accurate manner is important no matter what cartridge is chosen.