The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2011, 02:30 AM   #26
FrankenMauser

Based on frustration level:

#1 - Elk

When I'm in a "Spike Only" unit, I only see cows and world-class bulls...
When I'm in an "Any Bull" unit, I only see spike Elk and Deer...
When I'm in a Mule Deer unit, I only see the Spike/Bull I have a tag for two weeks later (when I won't be able to find them)...

#2 - Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope are incredibly easy to stalk, most of the time. But when they want to keep their distance, it can be really frustrating and difficult. I know plenty of people that will just start banging away, at 700+ yards, in 35 mph winds; but that isn't how I do things. I have to get close enough to count the ticks.
Old July 30, 2011, 01:24 PM   #27
Macantic

Women!
Old July 30, 2011, 01:28 PM   #28
Jason_G

Quote:
Women!
Huh. Huntin' 'em is the easy part! Livin' with 'em is the challenge!

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old July 30, 2011, 02:06 PM   #29
Bamashooter

I think turkey is a wiley critter. The guys on the sportsmans channel make it look easy but its not. The only other thing I hunt is hogs,deer, and quail and I have always been able to kill those without issue.
Old July 30, 2011, 02:18 PM   #30
Edward429451

Elk. We spent hours getting that thing back to the truck.

women are hard to hunt? Not out west. It must be the financial drought, but the women seem to be moving around a little more than usual. I have to be careful not to look em in the eye or else they try to follow me home.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:59 AM   #31
JUMP

I would have to say calling for mountain lion.
Old July 31, 2011, 03:50 AM   #32
bamaranger

bowhunt-whitetails

Somebody said that if you are successful consistently on deer, w/ a bow, then little else will give you trouble. I am inclined to agree. And...I am a rabid sprig turkey hunter, but do not find that deer and spring turkey compare, at all. I think coyotes on purpose is hard, but have not done much of it.

The white tail, especially a good buck, is the height of wariness, except for the brief period of the rut. They are masters of stealth and quiet, and use of cover and terrain. Bump or push a good buck and he goes nocturnal, no way to legally hunt him. Just finding a good buck can be extremely difficult. Game cams are turning up pictures of good deer in our area that NOBODY had any idea ever existed. And they are never seen during the season, when hunted legally anyway. The old bucks almost have to make a mistake for a hunter to be sucessful.

And the combination of ears, eyes and NOSE are tough to beat. You can mess a spot up and not even be there, the deer scenting you from your boots and clothing that touched the ground cover and brush, hours before. Trying to get a shot at bow ranges on that level of wariness and defeating those senses is a challange. Heck, often just seeing a good buck is plenty of reason to celebrate. I've come home lots of times, happy I'd FINALLY seen a buck I was after.

Contrast that with a boss spring gobbler. Weeks before the season, he struts and gobbles routinely, advertising his presence and magnificense to any and all interested. On many, if not most of the mornings of the hunt, he will still gobble readily, defying you from the opposite ridge or hilltop....."come try me". At mid-day, he is often out in the open easily seen from a distance, daring you to try and get closer. Not hard to find at all. Usually. Bump him one morning, and he may well gobble the next anyhow, from the same locale.

Also, I have never made any of the exotic hunts mentioned by others on this thread, but don't confuse a difficult hunt/environment, with a difficult quarry.

Finally, I have not done much of it, since I was a kid in another state, but
FALL gobbler hunting, of eastern gobblers is a whole 'nother story. No advertising, no "call of the wild" to 'cause mistakes, and a flock bird to boot, many eyes and ears to beat. I knew one old gent who specialized fall gobblers and he was the envy of the community.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:08 AM   #33
Zen Archery

Turkey with a bow on the ground without a blind
Old July 31, 2011, 06:31 AM   #34
bswiv

Here in NE FL I would say that the most frustrating thing I have hunted are the coyotes.

Deer are not that hard, but then I don't care for the horns which may count against me, and the hogs, gators, etc. I've got reasonably well figured out.

So far the darn coyotes are a mystery. And to make it worse we have way to many on our hunting place!!!
Old July 31, 2011, 11:29 AM   #35
Deja vu

Elk can be a pain especially the last few year with the wolves thinning out the numbers. But I have to say Chuckers. Those things will have you running up and down the mountain for hours in the hot sun.

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old July 31, 2011, 01:22 PM   #36
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Fox, if I have a gun in my hand I never see them.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 31, 2011, 01:35 PM   #37
egor20

My wife, it took about 4 months.

Other than that, there is an 8 point that comes on my property now and again. I've kinda stopped trying to hunt him, its one of those to good looking to shoot, and I tend not to hunt on my property.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 31, 2011, 05:14 PM   #38
Cowboy_mo

Zebra near Hoedspruit South Africa last year.

They were the most elusive game we hunted. Until I saw it with my own eyes, no one could have ever convinced me that black & white stripes would make good camo in the bush.

Also the big buck in the neighborhood that I hunted for 3 years. I had 4 sightings of him and an ethical shot was never presented. My neighbor's 8 year old killed him last year. Boy, I going to miss hunting that old guy. But, fortunately he has a couple of 8 pt. (last year) sons left in the neighborhood.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:25 PM   #39
40caljustice

I've come across a few big bucks in the last few years I hunted. They all took their time coming in and were very cautious but I've had them within throwing distance while smoking a cigarette. I've had conversations with my girlfriend in the stand with me while deer are all around. I wouldn't dream of talking while coyote hunting.

Coyotes, red fox, and fall turkeys are the toughest I've felt with. I've had one chance to take a couple foxes at once but only because I hammered a squirrel with my bow. I shot low and took out its lower half and that dude made quite the ruckus. I guess he called them in.

I've only ever killed fall turkey on the jump. Either they spooked while I was walking a thicket or someone else jumped them to me.

Coyotes. What more needs to be said. They are very slick and wiley. We have just enough to keep an open season. Its hard enough with tons of them just image what its like with a couple more than a few.

I would love to hunt some of the animals mentioned here. I love a good challenge. Next year I'm going to strictly bow hunt groundhogs and coyotes/fox. I'm gonna love it.
Old July 31, 2011, 07:33 PM   #40
TheNatureBoy

Wild Turkey!
Old July 31, 2011, 08:06 PM   #41
Discern

For these officers, it appears to be lawn ornaments.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-inde...,4098846.story
Old July 31, 2011, 08:41 PM   #42
flintlock.50

Carpenter bees with an air rifle!

They were boring into my old redwood deck some years ago. They're fast and skittish, but as they fly back and forth they frequently stop to hover for a few seconds. If you're quick, you can hit them while they hover. One summer I shot 17 with an Crossman pump pellet gun.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old July 31, 2011, 11:36 PM   #43
Hog Buster

Armadillos

They dig up my tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplants and the rest of stuff in the garden. They come at odd times of night, never at the same time and never when you are waiting and watching for them.

If you’re lucky enough to kill one the next night another appears and wrecks your garden again. If you stay up all night waiting for them they won’t show up. When you go to bed they attack. They’re like Santa Claus, they know when you’re sleeping and they know when you’re awake....
Old August 1, 2011, 02:57 AM   #44
aaalaska

Dall sheep, MT Goat, Wolves. none are easy.
Alex
Old August 1, 2011, 03:18 AM   #45
lt dan

the Grey Ghost aka kudu, i went on 11 kudu hunts before i got my first bull.
wart-hog because they simply decline to die. and ostrich, because you have to aim for the head while he is running and you are on a moving vehicle.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:50 AM   #46
Lawyer Daggit

Sambar deer.
Old August 1, 2011, 10:10 AM   #47
Jason_G

Quote:
Somebody said that if you are successful consistently on deer, w/ a bow, then little else will give you trouble. I am inclined to agree.
Yeah, I'd agree with that, at least for the animals I've hunted. The cool/fun thing about bow hunting though, is the deer have to be close, which means you see a lot of things that you wouldn't normally see when gun hunting. Lots of fun, even when it is frustrating.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 1, 2011, 10:51 AM   #48
twobit

Snipe hunting at night when I was a kid. i never seemed to have the right colored bag with me....at least that was what the grown-ups said was the problem
Old August 1, 2011, 10:54 AM   #49
Deja vu

Quote:
Snipe hunting at night when I was a kid. i never seemed to have the right colored bag with me....at least that was what the grown-ups said was the problem
I was all ways told I was not being loud enough

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old August 1, 2011, 10:54 AM   #50
Jason_G

Quote:
LOL, I don't think the ever-elusive snipe has been mentioned until now. Pretty good.

Jason