The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 28, 2011, 05:54 PM   #1
MrWin94

Lighten a DAO Beretta 96 trigger pull

Does any one know if it is possible to lighten a Beretta 96 DAO trigger pull? I have a friend who carries this and would like a lighter trigger, but does not want to get rid of this gun.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

A slightly lighter hammer spring would help. Wolff also offers a trigger modification that supposedly makes the trigger smoother and less "stagy."

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...ID1/mID2/dID36

I have no personal experience with the trigger mod, but have heard good comments. It's not that expensive.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Stressfire

I looked at that site for my 92fs.

Unfortunately,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit
PLEASE NOTE:
Will not function in latest Beretta 92/96 pistols with polymer triggers and newer Taurus models due to design changes in these pistols.
I love it and love to shoot it, but that DA pull is nasty. I would make an attempt at "fixing" it but I'm not that good with a file.

I'd be interested in a solution to this as well.
Old July 28, 2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

So, yours has a polymer trigger? (I wonder if you can also replace the trigger. That's a relatively low cost to get something that feels better to you.)

For me, the trigger is everything. You could have a local gunsmith do a trigger (or action) job -- if you like it that much.
Old July 28, 2011, 07:25 PM   #5
MidwestRookie

the wolff conversion unit absolutely will not make your trigger pull any lighter...

a couple guys have noted a 1 lb increase in the stock power unit and the same (sometimes a little grittier) pull weight with the reduced power unit.

the INS unit is not what you're looking for..

all that'll help is a serious trigger job...not just a $2 garage trigger job.

posted by a member on the berettaforum who shoots USPSA and IDPA..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb
I use a 15 lb 1911 mainspring (w/ Fed #100 primers!)
make sure the top of the hammer strut is mirror smooth. light polish on all contact areas affecting the DA pull.
polish the sear w/ a good smooth ceramic stone, and add a small secondary angle (such as you'd find on a 1911). Cut the hammer hooks to ~0.020 and polish w/ a fine stone. My result is ~7 lb DA, and right at 3 lb and crisp for SA. That's w/ factory trigger return spring and all safeties working. I had SA as light as ~2.5 and DA at around 5.5 lb by cutting ~1/4" off the mainspring, but the lock time was horrible, so I went back to a factory 15lb 1911 spring.

DA can be made as nice as a revolver if you polish EVERYTHING. pins, the springs, safety levers, etc.

Done this on a couple of guns w/ 10s of thousands of rounds on each and they are perfectly reliable w/ this set up.

good luck.
-rvb
Old July 28, 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Custom gunsmith work on Beretta 96/92 D(DA only) pistols...

If the Beretta pistol is meant for protection or duty use, I highly suggest a hone or smoother pull not a light trigger pull.
It could cause problems to ignite or fire pistol rounds.

I'd look at the top Beretta pistolsmith David Olhasso; www.Olhasso.com or refer to www.Americanpistol.com .
Brownells may have a few parts & kits too. Gun press writer & tactics instructor "Chuck Taylor" also wrote years ago that some LAPD armorers would swap out a full size 1911a1 .45acp spring and use it on issue 92F 9x19mm models. Taylor wrote it was smoother but as I posted, I'm not sure how it may effect ignition.

ClydeFrog
Old July 29, 2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Cemo

I used a 16 lb 1911 spring on my Beretta 92D Centurion and it worked great. If it is too light for you then move up to the 18 lb.