The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2011, 07:21 AM   #1
k5koy

Hammer action question.

Hi everybody. Just traded a Charter 38 special Undercover snubby for a great ol 70's Ruger Security Six. Very super clean original, with almost pristene finish. I really beat this guy up on this trade, and I kinda feel bad, but he wanted the smaller gun for his little tiny handed wife, who had a hard time handling the .357. It was just too big for her hand, and she immediately fell in love with the Charter.
As this Ruger is a single action, I noticed that the hammer action is quite stiff, so I removed the grps to see if there was a way to decrease the tension and eleviate the tough hammer cock some. I didnt see how it would be done. Does qnyone know if this is possible? It in no way affects the way the gun shoots, cause its a dream, and its really not a big deal, but I notice that the strength required to cock the hammer makes you come off target just a bit, and would like to make it more fluid. Thanks, Koy.
Old July 28, 2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Sodbuster

Does the hammer seem to cock more like the double action that it is?
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old July 28, 2011, 08:41 AM   #3
k5koy

Well, as stated, it is NOT a double action. But as I am not really familiar with the older Ruger stuff, there is a chance that it is supposed to be. I did notice that when you pull the trigger the hammer does not engage, but the cylinder does turn like that of a double action.
Koy

Last edited by k5koy; July 28, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old July 28, 2011, 08:50 AM   #4
jglsprings

"Ruger Security Six" + "As this Ruger is a single action" = "technical disconnect"

As a general rule all of the Ruger Security Sixes I have owned were (and still are) double action (pull the trigger and the hammer cocks, drops and fires) and single action (cock the hammer, hammer locks back, pull the trigger).

Are you saying yours is ONLY single action and the double action doesn't work? That would explain why it is so stiff. Something may be fouled up in the action. More info will help.

P.S.

Is the gun perhaps a Blackhawk? or Vaquero? One of the single action only guns?

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; July 28, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old July 28, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
k5koy

No, it is definately a security six, says so right on the side. 4" and yes, it must be manually cocked. But when I was cleaning it the other nite, I did think it was peculiar that if you treated it like a double action, in other words, repeatedly pull the trigger, that the cylinder does spin with each pull. W
Please tell me what type of "more info" you need...
Koy
Old July 28, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
jrothWA

COntact Ruger with SN, and...

confirm it's a "Single action only", not a true DAO.

Some LE agencies did issue SAO to late 70's thru 80's new officers, to minimize liabilities.

Sound like something is broke and need to get fixed.
Old July 28, 2011, 09:16 AM   #7
k5koy

Thanks but I have no idea how I would determine that. I will take to the gun shop today and have the guy look at it. Thanks anyway.
Koy
Old July 30, 2011, 02:13 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

The Ruger Security Six is a double action revolver. If your gun does NOT cock the hammer when the trigger is pulled, it is either broken, or someone has modified it.

Either take it to a gunsmith, or contact Ruger directly. Do it now.

And, as an aside, if the gun is broken or modified, you didn't "beat up" the guy you got it from, he did it to you!
Old July 30, 2011, 02:27 PM   #9
hardworker

I'm not familiar with the mechanism on a security six but on other DA revolvers removing the double action fly will make it so that the cylinder spins with a trigger pull but the hammer doesn't move.
Old July 30, 2011, 02:31 PM   #10
k5koy

Thanks. I did take it to a friend of mine who is going through it. As it turns out, it kinda fixed itself, the next time I tried it, it went double action, and I couldnt get it to replicate the problem for my friend. He told me it might have something going on inside that might need some tlc. So he's gonna look at it this weekend and let me know Monday. While not the deal I had originally thought, still going to be ok. He's going to fix it for cost, and completely go through it to restore it, so all in all, I still came out alright.
Koy
Old July 30, 2011, 03:24 PM   #11
aryfrosty

Security Six

No Security Six was ever single action only. The poster who said that some agencies issued SAO revolvers has it backwards. Many agencies had the single action notches removed so that their weapons were double-action only as a hedge against liability. Your revolver needs to see a gunsmith of your choice before you shoot it again. It has a mechanical problem that could be dangerous to you. Not to criticize, but I think the guy you traded with beat you up and not the other way around.
Old July 30, 2011, 03:51 PM   #12
k5koy

Ary,
Did you not even read my last post?
Old July 30, 2011, 04:23 PM   #13
aryfrosty

I did...When my mouth gets to running it's hard to stop. No insult was intended in what I said. I had a similar occurence with an older S&W M-19 snubbie. Had to have it gone through before it was trustworthy. It worked when I bought it but after sitting in the safe for a month it gunked up.
Old August 7, 2011, 06:09 PM   #14
k5koy

Ok, got my ruger back from the shop this week, and its as good as it ever was! He charged me $25 and went through the whole thing. Had a little bur that was not catching the hammer mech. Back to 100% now.
now I would like to find some aftermarket bone grips. Either natual or synthetic. Anyone?
Koy

Tags
hammer adjustment , ruger , security six , single