The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 27, 2011, 12:35 AM   #1
2500ak

Marlin 1895 feed problem

I bought a Marlin 1895 45-70 a few weeks ago, I'm very pleased with the gun for the most part, but it has an occasional problem.

Every so often, the cartridge elevator doesn't always drop low enough to allow the next round to jump out of the magazine and the gun cycles like it's empty.

I'm not overly worried because it's never done it when I've cycled the action quickly. Below a certain speed though, it does it ever couple of rounds.

Any known fixes for this? Should I have a gunsmith look at it? Send it back to Marlin?
Old July 27, 2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Edward429451

I have an 1895G and it has never had any feed issues. I think that one should never baby the action on these rifles. When you cycle the action on that rifle do it very matter of factly, with no hesitating or trying to be easy or quiet.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:38 AM   #3
PawPaw

Edward's correct. When one operates a lever action, it should be operated with authority, robustly. You aren't going to break it, it's designed to operate like that.

There are several moving parts in there that must click and clack into each other and when you operate them slowly they don't get enough click and clack. The only problem I've ever had with a lever rifle was when it was operated slowly.

However, there is this thing called the Dreaded Marlin Jam. That shows up on Model 1894 rifles that are run hard. It's easy to prevent and 1894 owners should know about it, to prevent it. I've never heard of it on an 1895, but now you're aware of it too.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 27, 2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Dr. A

These things usually smooth out with more use as well. Have a 444 that smoothed up greatly. My 1895's have always been smooth though.
Old July 27, 2011, 07:59 AM   #5
hornetguy

I don't remember mine ever doing it, either, although I have only put a few hundred rounds through it, so far. I bought it used, however, so it might have been broken in well before I got it.
At the range, after firing a round, I roll it over slightly and work the lever slowly, to keep from flinging the brass... the lifter has always dropped down properly, and allowed the next cartridge to be fed.
I've never looked at the lever/lifter arrangement in detail, but it might be worth taking it apart (if you aren't mechanically DE-clined) and looking for any burrs or rough spots in the assembly. It could be something very simple..
Old July 28, 2011, 01:46 AM   #6
Gunplummer

In the last couple years I have noticed those clickty-clack parts have a lot more burrs and worse finish than they used to. The screws need lok-tite too. Oh well, thats progress.
Old July 30, 2011, 09:15 PM   #7
2500ak

Problem seems to be getting more and more infrequent as I use it. Probably just stiff springs and rough surfaces loosening up.
Old July 31, 2011, 07:04 AM   #8
jmr40

Work the lever like you're mad at it. They are supposed to be worked that way. The problem will go away if used properly.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:44 AM   #9
badlander

There are good instructions on smoothing the Marlin 1895 action in the gunsmithing section at www.marlinowners.com
Work that action like you mean it till it breakes in or you smooth it up.
You will love that rifle.
Old July 31, 2011, 05:53 PM   #10
BfloBill

Some time back while I was cycling my action slowly so I could watch it in an attempt to help answer a question on TFL, sure enough it failed to feed properly. They are just meant to be racked hard.