The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 27, 2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Venom1956

Is Silver/Brown Bear ammo Corrosive?

Hey all this hadn't really occurred to me but one of my shooting partners gets Silver and Brown bear ammo on the cheap for bulk training for his job. Is any part of the ammo corrosive? powder, primer or whatever? He runs a lot of it thru his Glock 17 and Glock 19 they seem fine but some of my 9mm firearms hold a bit more sentimental value. I would hate for anything to happen to them.

Lastly this might sound weird but, I have little knowledge of corrosive ammo, 'if' a weapon that has fired corrosive ammo is stored in a safe with other weapons can those other weapons be affected?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Mr.Blue

Supposedly not corrosive, but I don't trust Russian companies.

Last edited by Mr.Blue; July 27, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:11 PM   #3
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1956
Lastly this might sound weird but, I have little knowledge of corrosive ammo, 'if' a weapon that has fired corrosive ammo is stored in a safe with other weapons can those other weapons be affected?
No.

If you do shoot corrosive ammo then it should be cleaned almost immediately. Hot soapy water is one good cleaner. But in any case it will not affect weapons stored in close proximity. It only effects the surface where it has been deposited.

Most all modern ammo, including Russian, is non-corrosive.

I have shot silver and brown bear. It's won't hurt a modern firearm.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:15 PM   #4
pvt.Long

it says the primer is non corrosive. I still clean my weapons immediately after shooting bear and wolf ammo.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Don P

Quote:
Is Silver/Brown Bear ammo Corrosive?
No it is "new" manufacture ammo, not "surplus"
Old July 27, 2011, 07:05 PM   #6
tekarra

I have shot a good bunch of Brown Bear with no corrosion problems.
Old July 27, 2011, 07:12 PM   #7
plouffedaddy

I have a few thousand rounds kicking around my house and shoot it all the time-all the boxes say 'non-corrosive'. But, either soapy water or corrosive rated CLP are probably still a good idea since it's still commie ammo.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:24 PM   #8
raftman

Quote:
Supposedly not corrosive, but I don't trust Russian companies.
Because businesses here have proven so trustworthy of as of late.

But seriously, I've fired tons of Brown and Silver bear ammo, in fact some of my guns have been exclusively with the stuff in question. In some cases, I've left these same guns for weeks, even months without cleaning; and even when these guns are cleaned, I clean as if it's non-corrosive ammo (didn't bother with soapy water) and no rust resulted. If someone wants to waste their time and run water through their guns unnecessarily that's all well and good I suppose, but I'd rather you just avoid the stuff altogether so that there's more for me.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Mr.Blue

Quote:
Because businesses here have proven so trustworthy of as of late.
American companies are still more trustworthy and produce better quality goods. Even a shady US company needs to keep an eye out for regulatory bodies, not to mention copious lawsuits.

In Russia, who knows what quality controls they have in place? Probably not much better than China. I'd rather pay $2/box more for Federal, UMC, or WWB.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:47 PM   #10
raftman

Quote:
American companies are still more trustworthy and produce better quality goods.
Do they now? Ever fired Remington Thunderbolts or UMC ammo? Has got to be the worst current production ammo on the market today, period. If 5% of Thunderbolts fail to go off, you're very lucky. Winchester white box is pretty suspect too.

Quote:
In Russia, who knows what quality controls they have in place?
Most of the ammo in question is actually made for the American market, as gun ownership is much more severely restricted in Russia and there's thus less of a market for ammunition. Perhaps years of anti-Russian indoctrination has left some people believing that the Russians are stupid, but I am pretty sure they understand the idea if they make a product that's labeled as non-corrosive when it is corrosive, or a product that's dangerous, or works badly, people won't buy it, and so then Russians don't make money, and believe it or not, they like making money as much as anyone else.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:57 PM   #11
Mr.Blue

I know well the concept of capitalism. I also am not dumb enough to believe Russians are dumb. I grew up in Brooklyn, NY with many Russian friends. I still don't trust the ammo as much as American made. I have never had a problem with WWB or UMC, although I am sure they have their share of duds. With Russian ammo I worry about catastrophic failure and corrosive ammo.

Ironically, I have 1000 rounds of Silver Bear 5.56 stored in my gun room. It is SHTF ammo.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:00 AM   #12
vladan

Quote:
American companies are still more trustworthy and produce better quality goods. Even a shady US company needs to keep an eye out for regulatory bodies, not to mention copious lawsuits.

In Russia, who knows what quality controls they have in place? Probably not much better than China. I'd rather pay $2/box more for Federal, UMC, or WWB.
That cracked me up ... especially your mentioned UMC ammo which is only one brand that I wouldn't shoot if it was free ... and FYI, most of winchester value ammo is actually made all over Europe for winchester - Czech Republic, Romania, Serbia -
Old July 28, 2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Mr.Blue

Not the Winchester I shoot. It is marked Made In USA.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:04 AM   #14
raftman

Oh yeah, love, love love that Remington quality control:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/1880085652
Old July 28, 2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Mr.Blue

Yeah and believe every picture you see online.

If you want to buy dirty, steel cased, inaccurate Russian ammo, go ahead. I have the means to pay a few bucks more for American stuff. My guns are worth it.

I am done debating. Enjoy.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:08 AM   #16
raftman

Hey don't take my word for it, read the actual forum post it comes from. (Lots more pics, over there, by the way). Much like vladan, I wouldn't touch the stuff even if it were free.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:35 AM   #17
vladan

Quote:
inaccurate Russian ammo
Tell that to .22LR shooters that buying those russian 22s like crazy - lapua accuracy for half of price ...
I will not buy Russian car, TV or microwave but guns and ammo they sure can make :-)

BTW, here are some Winchester white boxes for ya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winchester223.jpg (50.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01637.jpg (55.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg win005.jpg (100.5 KB, 23 views)
Old July 28, 2011, 12:45 PM   #18
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladan
but guns and ammo they sure can make
Yes, and they have proved that fact over many years of guns/ammo making. I have shot Russian ammo for years along with American made ammo. Can't really can't tell any big difference. In fact, I probably have had more issues with American made target ammo than Russian made.

My most recent issue was very bad set-back problems on Blazer Brass .45ACP ammo.

Having said that, I do use American made for my SD HP ammo.