The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Pert316

Taurus 1911 v's ruger sr1911

What do you think price range is close. I like the SR 1911 hands down, but I have not shot either one. Kind of having hard time finding the SR at a good price, seems people are over pricing them. Maybe once more are on the market it will get better.
Old July 19, 2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Mosin44az

I would wait for the Ruger's price to drop, personally.

Had the thumb safety snap in two and fall out of my Taurus 1911, and also the hammer started dropping on me. Rather than deal with Taurus "service," had a local gunsmith replace with quality aftermarket parts. It has run fine since.

Even though the design is the same, the quality of the metal counts too. I would wait for the Ruger.
Old July 19, 2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Caveat: I do not now, nor have I ever, owned a Taurus. I don't think I've ever shot one, either. Haven't been able to get my hands on an SR1911 around here, either. IOW, take the rest of this for what it's worth.

With that out of the way, I've read way too many reports of problematic Taurus 1911s to choose one over a Ruger, assuming that price is comparable. I've read good things about the Taurus PT92, but all the stuff that I've read about their 1911 is that quality is spotty. Maybe you get a flawless wondergun, maybe you get a jam-o-matic. Realistically, it's possible that you could also get a jam-o-matic SR 1911, too, but I'd call the odds in Ruger's favor on this one.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old July 19, 2011, 08:55 AM   #4
rigby06

I have only fondled the SR1911, great feeling weapon, I have owned a single used Taurus PT1911, and my ambidextrous safety broke in just a few weeks. Once it was fixed I sold that one off. The prices are about the same, for myself I would wait on the Ruger SR1911, but that is just me.
Old July 19, 2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Leejack

I don't own either, but I like the look of the Ruger.

I'll like it allot better when they make a blue one.
Old July 19, 2011, 12:20 PM   #6
excelerater

Made in USA always gets the nod from me
but Taurus is a second rate product in my eyes anyways
Old July 19, 2011, 12:56 PM   #7
ShipWreck

Quote:
but Taurus is a second rate product in my eyes anyways
Man, I needa ad that to my signature line
Old July 19, 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

With no direct experience with either 1911, based on my experience with both of their other products I'd buy the Ruger.

Ruger makes great products and stands behind them. Taurus and their lifetime warranty, yeah, they can take a lifetime to fix your gun if you have issues.

In my experience, Ruger is worth the extra cash.
Old July 19, 2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Don Glock

i would never entertain the idea of buying anything taurus based on friends' experiences (who didn't head my warnings).

not a ruger fan either, but if those are my choices, the ruger would be the one.
Old July 19, 2011, 10:40 PM   #10
Get R Done Guns

Ruger!
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old July 20, 2011, 04:04 AM   #11
Master Blaster 2

I don't own either or ever touched either 1911. But from what I have read here and on the web a Taurus gun is sub standard. Ruger costs more but has to be better because of that name brand.
Old July 20, 2011, 06:46 AM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you're itching to buy one right now, then I say put some ointment on it and buy neither. I haven't seen a huge rash of problems with the Taurus 1911 compared to other model types of theirs. Have there been reports? Yes. For the price of one these days and the features they have, it's worth a look. There's several turn-offs I encountered with it personally.

I'm sure Ruger's 1911 is be a sure bet.....soon. Problem is, it's only been out for a few months. Given their track record lately, I'd wait until the market is saturated with them. You'll save yourself some money and the chances of being sure you'll have a keeper will greatly increase.

If you still can't wait, then I'd gamble on the Ruger.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 20, 2011, 07:12 AM   #13
Leejack

I'll have to agree in part with shane.

Give the Ruger a little time, it is new and has a long waiting list in some places. Once it gets established, the dealers will back off on charging a premium price.

I have no problem with the Taurus either, but on a 1911, less is more. I don't care for all the bells and whistles, but many do.
Old July 20, 2011, 07:23 AM   #14
Vartarg

Ruger: Made in the USA
Old July 20, 2011, 11:14 AM   #15
michael t

Ruger wins. Better quality and if you need service it will be done quickly not weeks and weeks. . As long as it took for my LAST Taurus to be 1/2 repaired in warranty . I must assume they are over worked on the Warranty side . Or else they only work part time.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old July 20, 2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Pert316

Ruger

That's kind of what I thought Ruger would be the choice. Just wanted to see if everyone shared my opinion. I have shot and like the PT 92 and it was nice, but then again I have a 92fs not a taurus. I'll wait on the sr1911 to even out on price.
Old July 20, 2011, 11:33 AM   #17
Artie

Like others, I know nothing about the Taurus, but I have never been a big fan of their products.

I do own a SR1911 and IMHO, you will not find another gun in that price range that equals or betters it. There may or may not be some early production teething issues with the Ruger, but no way on earth I would choose a Taurus over it. Personally, I think you will need to get into the $750-$1000 range to find a comparable 1911.

I'm confused as to why they are so hard to find at this point in time. Two months ago I can understand, but not now. I would have thought production would be catching up with demand a little bit by now, but then again, what do I know?
Old July 20, 2011, 11:41 AM   #18
bac1023

I have both and much prefer the Ruger.
Old July 20, 2011, 11:43 AM   #19
pgdion

Quote:
I would wait for the Ruger's price to drop, personally.
I hope that happens with the SR1911. That was my plan with the SR9. Then the price went up, then it went up a little more, then it went up again. It reached the point where I was no longer interested in the gun. Ended up buying a Cougar instead.
Old July 20, 2011, 02:44 PM   #20
skoro

Taurus 1911 v's ruger sr1911

If it were me, I'd get the Ruger. Not even a close consideration.
Old July 20, 2011, 05:45 PM   #21
vyse.04

I haven't seen a Ruger 1911 in person, but my PT1911 has been a great purchase. I bought it a few years ago, and outside of a crappy magazine that came free during a promotion (threw it away after second range session), it has fired everytime I pull the trigger. Personally, the ambi safety wasn't a deal maker/breaker, but at the same time it hasn't really bothered me enough to where I ever felt the need to replace it. To be honest, it's been great for the times I let lefties shoot it at the range.

I've heard a lot of rumors about issues with Taurus firearms (I'm sure some are true, but a lot of it is third and fourth hand information), but I can't say that I have ever regretted my purchase. When I bought mine, it was really the only entry level 1911 with upgraded components. Now there are quite a few other options, so go with whatever suits your needs.
Old July 20, 2011, 06:07 PM   #22
dsb1829

Having 2 new model Taurus handguns and 2 new model Rugers as a basis of my $.02 I am gonna cast my vote for Ruger. IMO Ruger current production guns go bang every time, the sights are close or on target from the factory, and neither have given me any issue. My Taurus' PT845 was way off target, only way to fix would be different sights. My Tracker 22lr spits a bit of lead and doesn't compare to my GP100. My Rugers really just look and feel of higher quality.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:45 AM   #23
RUT

I mean.... is there really a choice??
Old July 21, 2011, 07:53 AM   #24
xanth

Own two Taurus 1911's and never had a problem with either of them. But i'll say that accuracy is different between them (one has a rail, one doesn't).

I've also owned other taurus' that have been POS and are long gone, which has turned me off the brand.

The only Taurus I'd even consider now is another 1911 if needed... But if the price was the same between the two, I'd go Ruger.

There is alot of happy people on the web with their Taurus 1911's, I wouldn't discount one if the price was reasonable.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:56 AM   #25
RUT

>>But if the price was the same between the two, I'd go Ruger<<

The price could be considerably more, and I'd still go Ruger!