The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Picher

Fabulous Youth Day Results

Two youngest eligible hunters bag nice deer on Youth day. First was grandson, getting a 125 lb 4-pointer at 7:30 am (50 yards), then granddaughter (from another family) with a 175 yard one-shot kill down a snowmobile trail, getting a 144 lb doe.

The rifles used for the one-shot kills: Rem 700 ADL, rebarreled to .243 Win and Tikka T3 Lite .243 Win. Ammo in both "cases" was 80 grain Hornady GMX, ahead of 43 grains of IMR 4350 in Rem cases, CCI Standard primers. Both rifles have factory stocks, but the Rem has a PAC-NOR Supermatch barrel. Both can shoot sub-1/2 MOA.

The grandson's shot was through the left shoulder, exiting through the right ribcage. The granddaughter's shot entered just below the spine, fully penetrated, taking the lungs as well.

Can't get any better than that for this older guy!

Last edited by Picher; October 26, 2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old October 25, 2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Picher

A couple of pictures attached, showing the grandkids and their fathers. I showed up after the boy got his and his dad called me. I was within earshot when the granddaughter got hers. It was a "magical" day for all involved. (I wasn't aware of a bet between the kids for the first deer killed.)

The granddaughter passed up two deer at 300 yards, a buck and a doe, at her father's suggestion. He reinforced the need to make sure of the shot. It worked out very well.

Sorry if I seem a bit proud...can't help it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maddie's Deer 2014 b.jpg (134.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Matt's Deer 2014 c.jpg (135.0 KB, 49 views)
Old October 25, 2014, 06:03 PM   #3
2damnold4this

Congratulations to the youngsters!
Old October 25, 2014, 07:46 PM   #4
cornbush

I'd be proud too
Old October 26, 2014, 12:01 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Very nice.
Old October 26, 2014, 05:49 AM   #6
hooligan1

Oh boy, bet granddads head is swollen more than those kids....
Congrats!!!!!nice deer.
Old October 26, 2014, 07:23 AM   #7
Picher

My head isn't as swelled as the Dads', but the kids' were trash talking each other like crazy at the post-tagging breakfast. "My deer was first. My deer was heavier. My shot was farther. The bet was first deer, so you owe me breakfast. My deer....." It went on and on. The fathers and I just grinned.

The waitress, a hunter also, said, "Did you take bites of the raw hearts? If you didn't, the next buck you see will gore you with his antlers." The kids weren't scared by that a bit. LOL
Old October 26, 2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Panfisher

Awesome!!
Old October 26, 2014, 04:31 PM   #9
NHSHOOTER

Awesome for both the youngsters, cant wait till my grandkids are old enough. Also great to hear they were taken with a 243...
Old October 26, 2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Mainah

Nice! Sure was great weather for youth day up here, great to see kids hunting.
Old October 27, 2014, 05:21 AM   #11
hooligan1

Picher thats funny, kids sure "play it all the way out" don't they....
Old October 29, 2014, 08:49 AM   #12
Deerhunter

That is awesome. No reason to not be proud of that. I was lucky enough to be sitting with both my daughters when they shot their first deer.

Sat with the youngest in the morning while my buddy took the oldest. Youngest shot a button buck. Oldest was worried she wouldn't get a deer. Evening hunt I sat with the oldest and my buddy took the youngest. Oldest shot a doe at about 50 yards off hand with a 20 gauge slug gun. The youngest busted hers with my Browning Maxus 12 gauge shooting 00 buck at about 20 yards
Old October 29, 2014, 09:49 AM   #13
buck460XVR

That's what it's all about. Memories and passin' it on.
Old October 30, 2014, 07:37 PM   #14
Picher

Yeah; perfect hunting conditions on Youth Day. Deer were everywhere and moving around.
Old October 31, 2014, 06:55 PM   #15
Pahoo

Best work you will ever do !!!

Moments such as this and the time you spend with your kids, is priceless. Something that the bunny-huggers will never understand. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 2, 2014, 11:06 AM   #16
hooligan1

My youngest took a beautiful 100 lb doe yesterday morn, with one shot at 100 yds, completely eliminated heart. That was his practice limit with his brothers .270.

Im proud of his shooting, offhand at that distance would have been an amazing shot for anybody, but we took him to range last saturday and he left there with his last three shots being 2" high and a 1"group.....and he was comfortable with recoil...
The pressure is on now for me and his siblings! !!!!

Last edited by hooligan1; November 2, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old November 3, 2014, 01:23 PM   #17
bucksnort13

Congrats
Old November 3, 2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Picher

Congrats to everyone who has seen their kids, grandkids, etc. get game. Some kids have no idea where meat comes from, either domestic or wild.

Mainah: Yes conditions were perfect for Youth day. I've rarely seen that much deer movement in such a small area.

Yesterday's Noreaster, the earliest recorded, had the opposite result. Deer fed all night and when we got out, we could hardly walk through the woods, due to all the 2-3" dia. hardwoods that had bent over, touching the ground. There was about 4" of snow over them and other trees, making it very difficult to see more than a few yards. There was about 8" of snow on the ground in the woods, making it tough walking and crossing stone walls, etc.

We're hoping the trees will spring back, so we can take vehicles down the woods road later this week.

Good luck to all.
Old November 3, 2014, 05:54 PM   #19
Unlicensed Dremel

Very nice to hear; congrats.
Old November 3, 2014, 08:40 PM   #20
Mainah

I hear you Picher, hate it when I haven't finished raking and then I have to grab the snow shovel. And now the deer are spooked by the weather and by hunting season. I hope you have power.
Old November 3, 2014, 09:23 PM   #21
Picher

We got power back much quicker than expected, only about an hour or so. We have a generator, so it's not too bad. The generator powers the furnace, freezer, refrigerator, microwave, and TV. All the basics and we didn't miss more than a few minutes of the Pats/Broncos game.

In the '80s, during the worst ice storm to hit the state, we were without power for 7 days. That wasn't very convenient and was disappointing to see houses within 200 feet with power. Our segment of the development had it's power come through a wooded wetland, where the power trucks couldn't go.

This is crazy...we go from a blizzard yesterday to 50 and 60 degree temps later this week. If you don't like Maine weather, just wait a bit!

A farmer who lived in Maine, but on the NH border, after a new survey of the state line, was told that his farm was actually in NH, so he'd be paying taxes there and voting there also. His reply, "Thank God, I couldn't have stood another Maine winter!!!"