The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 16, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
mitchntx

Norinco 1911 A1

Any one know anything about a Norinco 1911A1?

It was my Dad's nightstand weapon and been sitting for 20 years.

While trying to cycle rounds through, about every 4th one or so jams.
I've cleaned and oiled it a couple times which seemed to help initially. But hasn't solved the problem.

I am cycling full rounds and thought a spent casing might eject easier, just because of the weight difference.

Is that sound thinking or is it time for a gunsmith?

I realize it's a Norinco, so actual value isn't much. But sentimental value is very high.
Old July 16, 2011, 11:53 AM   #2
B. Lahey

Fire it before jumping to any conclusions.

They are solid guns, but crude. A favorite among folks wanting a base pistol to build into something special. But if you go that route, do it right, you don't want to bubba your heirloom.

Last edited by B. Lahey; July 16, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old July 16, 2011, 12:50 PM   #3
orionengnr

Don't underestimate it just because it is made in China. They are a good solid 1911 and have a good following.

The steel they were made from is of a high quality. If yours is in decent/good condition, it is probably worth $400-500.

The fact that it will not hand-cycle does not mean much. Take it to the range and put some FMJ rounds through it. See if you can find (buy or borrow) a "known good" magazine.
Old July 16, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca

Does it fail to feed, or fail to eject?

A twenty+ year old Norinco is a copy of an original, military M1911-A1. The ejection port is small and high. One of the reasons for modern 1911s having lowered and flared ejection ports is so that a loaded round can clear the port. It's not unusual for M1911-A1s to stumble when hand cycling with unfired rounds.
Old July 16, 2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Amin Parker

I have 3 and wish i bought 10 more. I have been using one for bowling pin shooting competitions for 13 years. I have shot so many rounds through it that you wont be able to fit all the empty cases in a van lol.

I also have a series 70 Colt. The Colt is beautifully built but shooting from a rest, you wont be able to tell the difference. A Norinco 1911 is a great gun.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old July 16, 2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Master Blaster 2

Replace the magazine and shoot ball ammo. Great guns. Really they are not crude.
Old July 16, 2011, 03:42 PM   #7
mitchntx

Quote:
The fact that it will not hand-cycle does not mean much. Take it to the range and put some FMJ rounds through it. See if you can find (buy or borrow) a "known good" magazine.
So is a 1911 mag a 1911 mag?

It has two and one loads much easier than the other. But the round still stumbles with either mag.

Quote:
Does it fail to feed, or fail to eject?

A twenty+ year old Norinco is a copy of an original, military M1911-A1. The ejection port is small and high. One of the reasons for modern 1911s having lowered and flared ejection ports is so that a loaded round can clear the port. It's not unusual for M1911-A1s to stumble when hand cycling with unfired rounds.
Feeds fine ... stumbles on the eject.

Thanks for the help!
Old July 16, 2011, 03:53 PM   #8
AustinTX

I really want one in great shape. The Norinco's steel is considerably harder and tougher than what you'll find on just about any other 1911.
BERETTA Billennium (x4)|92 Steel I (x3)|92G Elite II|92FS (x4)|8045F|84BB—SIG P210-5 (x2)|P210-6 (x3)|P49—SIG SAUER P226 X6|P226 X5|P220|P229—HK P7M10 (x2)|USP Elite—COLT GC NM (x2)|Python (x4)|OM Match|OM|Ofc Pol—BROWNING HP—USFA 1910—MAUSER Luger|HSc|1910—VALMET Lahti—S&W 41|57|57|48—FREEDOM ARMS 83—MAB PA-15—BENELLI B76—SAVAGE 1917—WALTHER PPS—GLOCK 17—RUGER P89DC—CZ 52—RADOM Tokarev—IZHEVSK Makarov—ARSENAL Makarov—FEG ACK—KAHR P380
Old July 17, 2011, 12:51 AM   #9
HisSoldier

I've owned many 1911's over the years, but the Nork I bought recently is the first one I've ever seen with a chrome lined bore. I really like this gun! I paid $450 for it and it looked like it hadn't been fired. The grips were cheap and ugly, but I hardly ever let a 1911 stay in the original grips anyway.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old July 17, 2011, 03:36 AM   #10
Amin Parker

My main Bowling Pin pistol also does the same thing during hand cycling. It almost seems as if the port is too small for the round to eject sometimes?

When shooting the pistol nothing like that happens. You will see, they are very reliable.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:01 AM   #11
mitchntx

I seem to recall my Dad making these grips. Probably oak.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:24 AM   #12
WVsig

Norincos are great guns. They have very hard frames and slides. Their weak point is the barrel. It is soft. Early guns have trouble with their lugs are being deformed badly under recoil forces. Insufficient vertical engagement in the slide causes this deformation of the softer barrel.

If you get one like this you need to hard fit a new barrel. A drop in will suffer the same damage over time.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old July 17, 2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Baba Louie

As a rule of thumb, always look to the magazine first when feeding issues arise. (lips, follower and/or mag spring might have issues) Hand cycling the rounds, right? Has it done the same when firing?

When you say jams... what mean you? Misfeeds (round tries to go in all agly, half in magazine half out, stovepipes from mag, etc), double feeds, etc.?

Ammo... ball? JHP? Reloads or factory?

Anyway, assuming your father didn't take a dremel to the ramp (please don't) or have magazine sit loaded up for 20 years (probably still works) buy or use a newer magazine or factory fresh fodder, shoot it a few magazines full and see if it still urks on ya. Then you might take it to a good smith.

While the dollar value is kinda fixed around $450-500ish on the Norks, and if it shows no lug peening/rounding, they're a pretty nice clone of a WWII era 1911. Do a search or two on them on various gunboards and you'll find fans, foes and a wealth of good input.

But check your magazines first. Some are better than others, some might need a new spring or the lips/follower tweaked. Or thrown away completely and replaced. Nice looking handgun your father passed down to you. It needs to be shot. A lot.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old July 17, 2011, 01:30 PM   #14
mitchntx

Stovepipes.

Ammo? It's what's been sitting in the clip ... for 15 years. There was a second clip that was empty and it loads much more smoothly.

The round says "W-W 45Auto" and has a non-ferrous bullet.
Old July 17, 2011, 01:39 PM   #15
WVsig

Get a Chip Mccormick or Wilson combat mag and see if that corrects the issues. Nork mags suck.
Old July 17, 2011, 02:12 PM   #16
mitchntx

Like this one?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31064
Old July 17, 2011, 02:44 PM   #17
WVsig

Those are shooting stars which are OK. Better than the Nork mags but I prefer the Power Mags.

http://www.cmcmags.com/Powermags.html

Old July 17, 2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Baba Louie

Quote:
It's what's been sitting in the clip...
There are "some" who prefer the term mags or magazines... and while everyone knows exactly what you mean using the term clip...

Wilson mags are excellent and a little pricey. Shooting stars by McCormick are also pretty good, as are original Colt OEM, Mec-Gar and Metalform.

Here's a reference link from Xavier's blog from oh so long ago... an in depth magazine review/analysis. You might find it interesting.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old July 17, 2011, 07:08 PM   #19
mitchntx

Thanks for the link.

And thanks for pointing out my first faux-paux ... probably won't be my last.

I understand netiquette as I mod for several auto racing boards. I even own a small side business fabricating race cars.

www.lawmotorsports.net

What I said equates to saying my cages are "bolted" into a chassis.

So I understand proper terminology ...
Old July 17, 2011, 10:39 PM   #20
Bentonville

I saw one just the other day for 400 dollars in a local shop. I wish I had the money to get it. The Chinese are really great at imitating other nations' weapons, toys, building materials, electronics, etc. They made the 1911A1 really well, imo. Their Mac90s are good in my estimation. Soviets built them first. Remember the broom handle Mauser? Chinese built great examples of those. The 1911 is built like a tank and not nearly as valuable as a WW2 vintage pistol so I wouldn't feel badly about shooting the heck out of it. The sights are like the early 1911s, that is, small notch and difficult for me to see. The triggers are gritty but can easily be polished. Everything else is just fine. I've owned a couple over the years and felt I had to sell them to do other gun projects. Wish I had them back right now.
Old July 18, 2011, 03:50 AM   #21
sandbag

Reliable and Good

I have a Norinco with no modifications and I've never had a FTF/FTE with it regardless of ammo.
It's not a "pretty"pistol,just businesslike in appearance and as accurate as I need it to be.I regularly carry it as a CCW and a car gun.
Old July 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #22
Onward Allusion

Quote:
mitchntx
Norinco 1911 A1
It's not a bad gun. I had one back in the day and shot the crap out of it. Reliable and true to mil-spec. Reminds me of the RIA pistols of today.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 18, 2011, 04:14 PM   #23
mitchntx

Any resources available to figure when this thing was manufatctured?
Old July 18, 2011, 08:45 PM   #24
Nero45

Nope is junk you might as well just let me take it off your hands for you
But serously, these are really nice guns. I've owned 3 in my time with having 2 left. The only problem I've had is that it would do some kind of strange ejection that would bend the brass of the last round. Replacement of the extractor fixed this. Clean it, get some better mags, run some rounds through it and then clean it again you'll like it other wise we can talk numbers.
Old July 19, 2011, 04:51 PM   #25
mitchntx

Took your advice ... and yours, and yours and also yours ... and cycled 50 rounds through it.

I asked the range master to put another set of eyes on it, just to make sure I didn't overlook anything. Action was a little rough. Probably because it was a cheaper made gun and the fact it hadn't been shot very much. He thought it good to go.

One of the old mags didn't work so well. One did fine. The rounds were (still are actually) hung up inside the magazine.

The range had a CMC magazine for a fair price, so I bought it and the gun performed without issue with old one #2 and the new one after the initial feed problems.

The gun was amazingly heavy, compared to my XDm ... for obvious reasons. Recoil didn't seem bad at all, in comparison to the XDm ... again, for obvious reasons.

And it was deadly accurate with a 8" spread at 25'.

I like this thing ...