The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 15, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1
JACK308

Taurus tracker .44 mag

What does everyone think of this one? I look at a smith but I'm not paying over a grand for handgun.
Old July 15, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
PT-92

I'm looking at buying a revolver as well (I have quite a few semi's) and have read very good reviews of this particular model (though personally, I'm looking at a different caliber in a revolver).

I agree with you in that while I would rather have a Smith, I cannot justify such in terms of 'VALUE for the Dollar' in this HORRIBLE economy. To be analogous, I'll take a good reliable Kia or Chevy over a much more desired BMW or Mercedes any day. For me, the same philosophy applies to firearms.

If money was of no concern, I would be driving that expensive European car instead of my Kia Sportster and shooting Beretta Shotguns/Handguns instead of Taurus/Mossberg/Remi's.

I have begun to ramble with my late Friday evening cocktails so off I go...

-Cheers
Old July 15, 2011, 09:20 PM   #3
RETG

I don't have a tracker, but I have the 444ULT which is the titanium ultralite .44 magnum. Cost a bit more, but you also gain one more round in the cylinder.

And don't let people scream because it is a Taurus. From knowing many people who have their revolvers, the are pretty much trouble free. I know mine has been and I have put about 500 rounds through it testing heavy ammo and no failure with the pistol. (Not true of ammo.)

Also, don't let people say a small revolver will kick too hard. I fire 320 gr Cor-Bons through mine and the recoil is not bad at all.

But not sure if I would ever purchase a Taurus semi-auto. I have a PT111 that is a total piece of garbage. But that was purchased a long time ago, and I do believe Taurus has come a long way in the past five years.
Old July 16, 2011, 01:46 AM   #4
ghalleen

I have had good luck with Taurus revolvers, and own 3 of them right now (in .357 magnum and .454 Casull). Some here have not had as good of an experience. I personally haven't used any of the Trackers, but I don't believe they are as sturdily-built as the Raging Bull (which I do have).
Old July 16, 2011, 02:29 AM   #5
Sgt.Fathead

I bought a NIB Tracker .44 Magnum 4"about fifteen years ago when I had quite a few .44 Special and Magnum SA and DA wheelguns. I got it for a decent price and it was an ok gun. I put a few hundred rounds through it and then in the safe it went to languish.

But I sold it pretty quickly too. Despite the sweet price I never enjoyed the fit and finish, which people tell me Taurus has improved a lot, and the ribber grips were not to my liking. I had a friend who enjoyed shooting it so he took it off my hands.

I did like the full underlug barrel, the porting (if only for the novelty) and the the sights were decent, too.

For my money, Ruger makes a fine quality, strong as strong, long lasting revolver. For a few dollars more in the long run, a Redhawk is a nicer revolver. NIB the trigger can be a little stiff but a lot of dry firing and range time smooths that out and these are great guns. But if you want the Tracker, go for it! I learned with one Taurus that they weren't the gun for me. Maybe it will be the right one for you.

Last edited by Sgt.Fathead; July 16, 2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: content
Old July 16, 2011, 02:37 AM   #6
SadistAssassin

Why get a Taurus when one can get a Ruger for an incy-tincy bit more money
Old July 16, 2011, 06:43 AM   #7
excelerater

The only issue I had with my Taurus revolver is
I had to practicly give it away when it came time to sell......They do not hold
value at all......where as S&W and Ruger will
Old July 16, 2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Why get a Taurus when one can get a Ruger for an incy-tincy bit more money
+1. A bit more cash will buy you a much better gun. Trust me, as a former Taurus owner, the money is well spent.
Old July 16, 2011, 08:11 AM   #9
dalegribble

i have both a 4" blued taurus model 44 and a 7 1/2" ruger stainless redhawk so i can make a good comparison. the ruger is a fine gun and accurate and i have never had a problem with it. the 4" taurus is also a fine gun, trouble free and also accurate. i find myself reaching for the taurus more often than the ruger when i need a 44 mag. a few of the reasons are, i like the sights better on the taurus. i like the grips better on the taurus. the 4" taurus seems more controlable to shoot than the 7 1/2" redhawk, maybe because of the grip or maybe because of the porting, maybe just my imagination but it seems easier to shoot. the shorter barreled taurus is as accurate as the longer barrel redhawk for the general shooting i do. the 4" taurus is much easier to carry than the 7 1/2" redhawk. the 4" taurus is my favorite general purpose trail gun. i would like to scope the longer redhawk for hunting and target shooting. i think it would be fun to take both guns hunting some day. i would use the 4" taurus for 50 yards or less and the scoped ruger for anything longer and both guns would probably still weigh less than my hunting rifle.
Old July 16, 2011, 09:21 AM   #10
JACK308

I wasent worry I use to own a model 66 .357 mag and it was good,I also herd that Taurus uses S&W equipment to make their guns.Back in 90 I bought a S&W model 586 6" barrel that was a sweet gun I wish I still had that one I bought it back then for 475 + tax.
Old July 16, 2011, 09:24 AM   #11
olddav

I looked at a Taurus Tracker, Ruger Red hawk, Super Red Hawk, and S&W 629. After looking at the Taurus at a local gun show, I eliminated it from my list. I have nothing against Taurus, I own and shoot a Taurus quiet often, but the Tracker was light and rather frail looking for a 44 mag. Clearly the lightest and smallest of bunch, which is both good and bad depending on your desires and needs. Good Luck!
Old July 16, 2011, 01:54 PM   #12
JonathanZ

Quote:
The only issue I had with my Taurus revolver is
I had to practicly give it away when it came time to sell......They do not hold
value at all......where as S&W and Ruger will
Right there is why you don't buy a Taurus. A S&W may cost a lot more than a Taurus, but you can get a Ruger for maybe a hundred dollars more than a Taurus. I'd look at used Rugers and if you ever need to you can always turn around and sell it for basically what you paid.
Old July 16, 2011, 04:07 PM   #13
JACK308

ok I went to Cablas site and looked at the diff.44 weight.

Taurus .44 tracker 34oz

S&W model 29 41.5oz

ruger redhawk 47oz

Now the prices range from 899 to 549 for the tracker now will a few oz make that much of a differance in .44 mag?.
Old July 16, 2011, 04:43 PM   #14
Scout

I've got the Tracker in a snubbie version. It's a keeper. No problems so far after about 300 rounds.
Old July 16, 2011, 05:08 PM   #15
mquail

I got one and I have a 66. Love both to pieces. My boy is home on leave and wanted the tracker so I gave it to him. I'll replace it with either another tracker or a Ruger. We did buy an Alaskan in 44 while he was here just to shoot hand canons together. That was a lot of fun. The only really accurate revolver I have is the 66. At 50 yds it's dead on. Further than that it depends on my coffee intake. I've not had any Taurus problems compared to what I read on the net and wonder if it's sometimes urban legend. I've read about other makes and models that have problems too. I think it's like anything for example there are Ford people who wouldn't own anything else. I do own 3 Ford vehicles. I wouldn't own Govt Motors if you gave me one but that's me and not required for anyone else to feel this way.
Old July 16, 2011, 05:09 PM   #16
JonathanZ

Check this thread for opinions of Ruger vs Taurus in general:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=taurus+ruger

Now you may not agree if you try both out in a .44 mag, but what if you want to sell or trade the gun later on? It will be much easier with a Ruger.

Also, check Budsgunshop.com for the best prices
Old July 16, 2011, 06:55 PM   #17
8shot357

I just bought a Blued Ruger Redhawk 44 for $425 used mint

Quote:
I'm not bias to all SS or or black (Blued), but I sure do like this gun, and the way it looks. I saw a used Taurus 44 selling price $350, I just laughed, my Ruger was $425. Go ahead, make my day!
For $75 less I could have had a Taurus. LOL That made my day.
Old July 17, 2011, 12:50 PM   #18
olddav

Quote:
will a few oz make that much of a differance in .44 mag?.
As for me when I pulled the trigger for the first time I was very happy the gun weighed as much as it did (S&W 629-). Weight (ounces) tames recoil on some level, what ever is left you get to absorb. The question becomes, how much are you willing to punish your self each and everytime you pull the trigger?

But that is just my opinion.
Old October 14, 2011, 02:35 PM   #19
texasaggie2012

problem with ultra-lite 44mag

got a question that im hoping someone on here has an answer to. i have a ultra lite 44 mag that i havent had any problems with until recently(granted, i dont shoot it much probably about 100 rounds) i keep it as clean as possible usually after every shooting session. last time after one shot, when pulling the hammer back about the last 1/4 of the way down it gets alot tougher to pull. it almost feels like powder got somewhere back there. iv tried to clean every millimeter but i cant solve the problem. i know these guns put alot of force on the whole gun and maybe its just something i have to deal with, but i was hoping it might be an easy fix.

thanks for the help
Old October 14, 2011, 02:41 PM   #20
JerryM

After my personal experience with Taurus, I would not even consider that gun. If I could not afford a Smith or Ruger I would pass until I saved the money.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13 *┬ÂLet us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 *For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 14, 2011, 02:43 PM   #21
texasaggie2012

a little late for that! haha
Old October 14, 2011, 03:08 PM   #22
black mamba

I have a stainless Taurus Tracker .44 mag 4" and like it a lot. It's light and portable, and mine is very accurate. I reload, so don't use full power magnum loads, but recoil is VERY light with 235 gr SWC @ 950 fps. This load will easily penetrate a whitetail from about any angle, and is comparable to .45 ACP +P loads for self defense. When I fire hotter loads, they are still manageable with the porting and soft rubber grips.
Old October 14, 2011, 05:27 PM   #23
Old 454

Look around and dont be to quick to buy.....I found an S&W 44 mag 629-6 Classic that needed some cleaning and sight ajustment for 550.00, it cleaned up real nice and I am in the middle of refinnishing the grips and when I am done I will post pics.
Old October 14, 2011, 07:44 PM   #24
hydroholic

I have the .44 Mag in the Raging Bull with the long barrel and a scope that I hunt with and I have the .357 Mag in the tracker with the short barrel. Both are extremely accurate ( of course the .44 with the longer barrel more so) and both have been very dependable and never given me a single problem. These are not the only Tauri that I have owned. I have owned a few other revolvers and two semi-autos. The revolvers where just as dependable as the ones I have now with no problems. The .45 semi-auto that I had was fine with no problems but the 9mm semi-auto I had was junk! I will not hesitate to buy another Taurus revolver, but I don't think I will buy another Taurus semi-auto.
Old October 14, 2011, 09:10 PM   #25
RalphS

I had a Taurus 608 that had timing problems. It was shaving lead. You could see the marks from the shaved lead on the barrel end at the forcing cone. I sent it to Taurus for repair. When it came back it still had the same timing problem. I'm not a fan of Taurus.

My 3 Rugers and 1 S&W have never shaved lead at the forcing cone.

Good luck.