The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 13, 2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Rustynail416

Taurus Brasil 38 Special

Friend brought old loaded gun of husband to me, wants me to open cylinder and remove shells. How do you release cylinder to open? I'm not a revolver guy. Gun has number 439671 on it. Holds 6 shells. 2 1/2 inch barrel. Stamped with Firearms Intl Corp., Washington, DC, 38 Special and Made in Brazil. Also Forjas Taurus S. A., and Ealebre R.S.S. Brasil (as best I can see it).

Any information on this gun would be appreciated.
Old July 13, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2
lee n. field

Unless it's very unusual, there's a latch on the left side of the gun, behind the cylinder. Push that latch forward to release the cylinder so it can be pushed out.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 17, 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Rustynail416

Cylinder still not opening

Thank you, lee n. field.

There is a latch on left side that I failed to mention before. Its design suggests pushing it forward but I can only pull it back slightly. Nothing appears to release and it is not moving much. The grip appears to be designed for pushing as you said. There is a screw in the center of it and a small projection to the front. It does not rotate either.

Thus this latch is not moving forward. I expect the cylinder to rotate out to the left as it appears that the parts pivot ahead of the trigger guard.

I note that there is a small lever under the cylinder that locks the cylinder in place but drops down as the hammer is pulled back. Then the cylinder rotates freely by hand, the release is as would be expected in firing. Since the gun is loaded, I have not pulled the hammer back very far. I left an empty place at the hammer - 5 shells loaded.

Below the rear of the cylinder on the left side of the gun is a round pin that has part of the end of it removed so that maybe a tool can fit onto it for some reason. It does not push in by hand.

Ahead of the cylinder there is a round rod that extends from the center line of the cylinder toward the front of the barrel that has a narrow finger grip grooving but that seem rigid in place.

I was hoping to release the cylinder without pulling the hammer back. Not aware of a safety either.

Seems it should be easy to open but. . .
Old July 17, 2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Slamfire

Your taurus must be an earlier model maybe a web search will find it.

Lastest manuals are here:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-manuals.cfm

If you are not having success getting the cylinder open, and the gun is loaded, I really recommend calling Taurus customer service and finding a Taurus gunsmith who will talk you through this.

If this was a Smith and Wesson I would tell you the ejector rod has probably unscrewed.
Old July 17, 2011, 08:33 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Thus this latch is not moving forward. I expect the cylinder to rotate out to the left as it appears that the parts pivot ahead of the trigger guard.
Yup. Hold the cylinder latch forward, then push the cylinder from the right hand side (looking from the rear) and it pivots out. Is the way it's supposed to work.

Since it sound like things aren't working right, if it were me, I would take the sideplate off and try to free up the latch or remove the cylinder from that side.

But, I've done this kind of thing a few times. It sounds like you aren't familiar with revolvers, and this gun is loaded. So, my advice is "Don't mess with it. Get thee to a gunsmith, go!"

Quote:
Stamped with Firearms Intl Corp., Washington, DC, 38 Special and Made in Brazil.
The current importer is Taurus, USA. I don't think they will do anything with the older Tauri.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Tags
38 special ctg , taurus brasil , taurus disassembly issues