The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1
kspain5

leaving the tube loaded

Well I've wanted one for a while and just got my first shotgun, mossberg 590. I'm sure I will have more questions later on but just one for tonight. I have seen all the debate on "spring fatigue" in pistol mags, I keep my mags loaded. Am I safe to assume the same for the tube in my shotgun? I would like to leave it loaded as I imagine it will be primarily HD. I live alone, no kids, little hands are not an issue.
Old July 22, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2
bamaranger

fatigue

Springs fatigue, period. Some more than others. Why is hotly debatedrolonged compression v. repeated cycling?

LE shotguns are routinely left "half loaded" in the "cruiser carry" mode.

A weak mag tube spring can be the cause of poor function and I would change one out on any gun shot a lot .
Old July 22, 2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Slopemeno

I left a Mossberg 500 (the 7+1 version) loaded for, oh, 18 years. Was the spring a bit weaker? Yes. Did it still function? Yes. Was the ammo still good? Yes.

Springs are ultimately a consumable item, but there's no reason to overdo it.
Old July 22, 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No durability testing of a spring is performed by gently compressing it to within the compressed parameters and leaving it there...

Tests on springs will be cycles until failure or over compression until failure...

The reason the first is not done is 'cuz it matters little if at all.

Brent
Old July 22, 2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Buzzard Bait

my understanding is that spring life is controlled by the #of cycles and that stored compressed will last about as long as uncompressed. But either way the spring will last a long time and is cheap to replace. I personally prefer condition 3 for all my guns that are loaded.
bb
Old July 22, 2011, 03:24 PM   #6
NightSleeper

Springs in magazines are designed to be compressed. Hence, "springs".

A lot of what you hear even today applied to the springs used in decades past. For example, I often read of soldiers in Vietnam being coached to only load their 20-round M16 mags with 18 rounds to prevent jamming.

But that was long ago. These days, as long as you aren't using a really old gun or magazine, most of these issues have been fixed. You can leave your magazines fully loaded without fear of jams or problems. But if you are weary about it, you can always underload you shotgun magazine by one or two shells and leave the spare nearby to load up when the SHTF.
Old July 22, 2011, 03:48 PM   #7
hardworker

Sometimes I leave my 11-87 with a full mag sitting in the cabinet between hunting seasons. Hasn't quit working yet. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old July 22, 2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

You do need to watch out for shot shell compression.
Sometimes, shells left in a tube under spring tension will begin to collapse and will develop bulges in the shell body.

These bulged shells can cause failures to chamber or extract.
For extended use in a magazine, buy premium American made shells and inspect them at least monthly.
If you find them starting to bulge, shoot them up. Once they start to bulge they won't stop even if you "rest" them outside the gun.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:23 PM   #9
IZZY

used to leave 3 in the tube of a 5 shot(+1) Mossy...just figured it was enough to get the job done, not enough to put too much stress on anything.

These days I'd stack em up.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:59 PM   #10
zippy13

I often read of soldiers in Vietnam being coached to only load their 20-round M16 mags with 18 rounds to prevent jamming.
Exactly! It wasn't because of spring fatigue, but because of increased spring pressure with the 19th and 20th rounds. With a full 20-round mag, there was a much greater chance of the first cartridge jumping out of the mag, upon rapid insertion, and causing a jamb in the M16.
Old July 25, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
John L. Smith

M-16 Mags

The M-16 I got in Nam had the forearm shot up when I got it and every time I put a new magizine in it I had to ram the bolt forward a couple of times to get it to chamber a round. made me a bit touchy at first. But once you got it chambered would burn right thru a full mag on full automatic. The reason I only carried 18 rounds was because if you filled it full and didn't empty mag and clean it every couple of days it would get full of dirt and rust together. When you are carrying 15 to 20 mags all the time you didn't have time to clean them as often as you should have.
Old July 25, 2011, 08:11 PM   #12
oneounceload

Springs do not weaken by staying under one condition - they weaken by "work", which is compression and use constantly
Old July 31, 2011, 06:13 PM   #13
pistolerokid

spring kept under load

My wifes winchester 12 gage model 1300 has been kept loaded for the past 5 years. she takes it out once in a while to the range but when she returns home she loads it back up. We havent noticed any problems with spring tension. still cycles fine.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:18 PM   #14
SurplusShooter

I would not fully load it just leave one shell out and you should be fine.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:13 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

This needs a smart guy to translate but

if you want to read about springs, loads, and failures see http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/card...APTER4RevD.pdf

See sections 4.3 and 4.4.1

I interpret this as saying that keeping a magazine full can weaken the spring over time. If you wish to keep it full, keep it full but periodicly empty the tube exept for one round and push it in to feel if the tension is weak.

Remember, if you ever have to fire down from an upstairs landing the spring will be working harder than if you are shooting on a horizontal plane or up.