The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1
fastback4

Marlin 50 varible choke question

Is my Marlin 50 shotguns variable choke machined on as part of the barrel or is it pressed onto the barrel?

Marlin Choke 1.JPG

Marlin Choke 2.JPG
Old July 10, 2011, 08:32 PM   #2
zippy13

Before screw-in chokes, adjustable chokes were popular on pumps and auto-loaders. If you consider the manufacturing process of a shotgun barrel, it obvious that having the adjustable choke as an integral part of the barrel would be a major bother. If you look at your second pic, there seems to be a joint between the barrel and the choke. The easiest/cheapest way to attach a choke at the factory is by sweating it on (soldering). I'm assuming this is a factory choke.

That being said, look at the porting cuts, you'll see that your gun has a relatively thick barrel. Your choke might be an after market screw-on; but, most screw-on devices have flats, or other means, to accommodate the attachment tool. I don't see any on your gun's choke base. I'm still guessing it's a solder job.
Old July 11, 2011, 07:48 AM   #3
fastback4

Marlin 50 choke.......

Yes Zippy this is a factory choke. I've removed the chokes collar so to see the chokes tube. Marlin called their choke a "micro choke".
Old July 11, 2011, 11:45 PM   #4
fastback4

the choke should come off, correct?

So if i apply dry ice concentrated to the barrel near the choke, and heat the choke with map gas the choke should come off, correct?