The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 7, 2011, 12:59 AM   #1
sthomper

polymer magazine for m1a or m14

hello

i know polymer mags for ar's ak's and various FNs and minis have been out for some time.

has or does a polymer mag for a m14 exist??

is there something about the rifles design that makes a polymer mag unsuitable or unworkable???

thanks
Old July 8, 2011, 04:08 AM   #2
10-96

I don't know if any are out there or not, haven't really looked. I personally don't think I would purchase one though becasue of the large locking block that's spot welded to the back of the body. That little part is highly essential, if it doesn't stay true then the mag will ride lower within the receiver and not let the bolt pick up rounds. Now, I don't recall where I read it, but I do know that a large batch of imported Asian magazines were looked down upon quite bad because they have/had stamped puckers protruding from the body where the blocks should have been attached by spot welds. Apparently, these did not sit well with U.S. shooters.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old July 8, 2011, 07:26 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

A few guys have modified the Magpul Pmags to fit the ArmaLite AR10 so they could fit in a M1A also, but without the locking tab on the back of the mag. The problem is you have to remove some material at the top of the mag and it becomes rather flexible, causing the feed lips can spread.

I've read a few posts about the 7.62 Pmags lips spreading when stored loaded with out the dust caps in place.

I do like the 5.56 Pmags but I would not invest in 7.62 Pmags.
Old July 17, 2011, 04:39 PM   #4
khest

Thermold mags

I was looking for the same thing Thermold makes some...havent tried them yet.

Khest