The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 6, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1
ScotchMan

Permit in process, moving

I live in New York in a county which specifies 6-8 months for the process of a pistol permit. I have heard of people getting theirs after anywhere from 5 to 10 months. I have heard that the judge just does them all at once a couple times a year and it depends on when yours gets added to the pile.

I submitted my pistol permit in March, so it has been 4 months now. I am anxiously awaiting my 2nd amendment rights in the mail. However, I am moving to a new address in a couple weeks, and I am conflicted about what I should do.

On one hand, I can (and will, regardless) forward my mail with the post office. This will cause them to reroute my mail to my new address for 6 months and to notify the sender of the change. I have done this before, and I don't believe it is 100% effective, meaning my pistol permit could get mailed to my old address and get tossed, or worse. Or it could show up at my new address.

On the other hand, I can call the county clerk and tell them about the situation. I am afraid they will want me to start the process over, or at the very least that it will delay the processing, which is the last thing I want, since I've already waited 4 months. I don't see how they could change the address on my application without taking a step backwards somewhere in the process.

I (and everyone I've ever interacted with in this lifetime) have already been interviewed by the Sheriff, and my permit has been awaiting judgement since April. I guess my fear is that someone will have to fish my permit out of the pile and start it over with the new address.

In either case I would inform the county of my new address once I moved and had my permit.

Which do you recommend? Am I worrying about nothing here?