The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 25, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

Need latest on Glock 19 gen 4 issues

Been thinking lately of getting a Glock 19 in Gen 3 or 4. I have heard that the Gen 4s had problems ejecting properly with the "03" dual recoil spring. Glock has since supposedly fixed the problem with a better "04" recoil dual spring. Is the Gen 4 Glock 19 now working fine? I would like to hear from those folks that have the new spring. Thanks.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Billy Shears

1,061 rounds in three weeks. Hot ones, mild ones, FMJs, JHPs. Zero failures of any kind. Absolute and complete reliability so far, clean or dirty.

You can trust it.
Old June 26, 2011, 01:53 AM   #3
Don Glock

the most recent, and third, updated spring for the gen4 g19 is in fact "0-4-1", but most are still coming with the 0-4's at this point. i've only read a couple experiences with the 0-4-1 spring, and there were no issues whatsoever. take it for what you will.

i would have the gunshop guy take the slide off and check for that spring if it were me. you can also buy it with the 0-4 spring, then call glock to send the newer one for free, but good luck, everyone's getting the same response "they're backordered".

either that or just go with the gen3 if you don't need the smaller gen4 grip.

i have a gen4 g23, and the humungous mag release is no better, just different.

Old June 27, 2011, 09:11 AM   #4
TailGator

I for one am not clear on how widespread the problem was or is, for the simple reason that we have had internet talk, which magnifies every reported problem by repetition, and no clear statement from Glock about what proportion of pistols were malfunctioning. The only data we have to go on is that Glock went through a series of springs, each of which was supposed to be a cure, and that they recommended hotter ammo. The latter is a significant departure for a pistol that, in its previous incarnations, would eat anything. Reports like that from threedogdad are encouraging, but I would personally wait for this to shake out a little before I bought gen 4 9 mm.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
hogwiley

I dont know whether the updated recoil springs have solved the problems with the 9mm gen 4s(or even if the springs were ever really a problem), but if I was buying a glock 19 I would probably get a gen 3, since the gen 3 9mms worked perfectly fine. The dual recoil spring in the gen 4s seem made to address some minor issues with the .40 glocks. The gen 4 grip might be a slight improvement, but not enough to be worth the possible issues with the 9mm gen 4s, at least in my view.

If I was getting a .40 I would probably get a gen 4.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
hickok45

The one I did tests on is doing fine. It has the 04 spring. I just shot it some today.

Hickok45
Old June 28, 2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Don Glock

Quote:
The one I did tests on is doing fine. It has the 04 spring. I just shot it some today.

huh?

i watched your gen4 g19 video, and not only was the extraction erratic, but you had multiple failures to eject.

glocks are my favorite polymers, but i'm not such a fanboy that overlook any reliability flaws.
Old January 31, 2012, 12:59 AM   #8
biohazurd

Hickok has another vid of the gen 4 19 with wwb and some of the other ammos he tested that malfunctioned in the original video. Didnt watch all of it but it seemed to run just fine.

Edit. my bad i thought the last post was january 28 2012 not june 28 2011. Didnt mean to revive it.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:55 PM   #9
dsk

I have one of the first Gen4 G19s made, with the Tenifer slide. It still has the original 0-3 spring and older ejector. No problems in nearly 3,000 rounds fired. Some folks had issues, others didn't. Currently Glock is using the 0-4-3 spring and a newly-designed ejector to help those suffering from FTS and erratic ejection problems. A few pistols also had defective extractors that fit too tight in the slide.
Old January 31, 2012, 09:05 PM   #10
AlBundy

OMG Hickok! What's up man!? You are AWESOME!

I was also wondering about the Gen 4 issues. I don't like the dual spring or the the "Gen 4" marking on the slide. I really want a NIB Gen 3 but I doubt I'll find one now ... . Does anyone know if you can just put a Gen 3 spring in a Gen 4?
Old February 1, 2012, 03:25 AM   #11
sigxder

Latest mods on the new GEN4 G19's are 0-4-3 RSA, 30274 ejector, and many guns need the extractors replaced because of fitting too tight. Mine shoot fine for over 1700 rounds. At around 2000 rounds the erratic ejection came back. I replaced the newer "dip" style extractor with an older non-dip forged extractor (dip extractors are supposed to be MIM), replaced the dual recoil set up with a Lone Wolf conversion set up that allows you to shoot a GEN3 guide rod in a GEN4. Shoots even the lighter stuff good now.
The ejection is still not as strong as my older Glocks. But it is better than the late model GEN3 G19 it replaced since Glock could not fix it. Most of the hot carry ammo is not a problem. But I think the new Glocks should eject as well as the older models with whatever you feed them. I do like the new SF frame on the gun. It fits my hand much better. Like the easy to reach mag release. The gun is very accurate. But you should not have to "cherry pick" ammo IMHO on a gun. Especially a Glock.
Old February 1, 2012, 03:46 PM   #12
dsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBundy
I really want a NIB Gen 3 but I doubt I'll find one now ...
AFAIK Glock is still making the Gen3 models alongside the Gen4. I agree the dual recoil spring fixed something that wasn't broken, but the SF frame is definitely an improvement.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:15 AM   #13
rodfac

My G19...new a week ago, has the 04 spring, has been 100% reliable with three varieties of Factory rounds (Federal, Remington, and Winchester) as well as 4 varieties of starting velocity handloads. No issues whatsoever...good gun, fairly accurate (the Federal 9mm target grade $19.97 per 100 rounds from Walmart) will consistently shoot into 2" at 25 yds from a sitting positon. It's good ammo and a good reliable pistol. Rod
Old February 3, 2012, 11:33 PM   #14
stmcelroy

Haven't had any issues with my 19Gen4, even running the "03" recoil spring. I've only run Blazer Brass and S&B ammo through mine, so nothing low powered.

Leather & Kydex Holsters
Old February 5, 2012, 10:38 PM   #15
Sbowling79

Just dumped my gen4 19. Bought it, took it to the range went thru 150 rds. Had 3-4 failure to feeds per magazine and 2-3 casings in the face per mag. Tried 3 different types of ammo and 3 different magazines and still had problems.No I wasn't limp wristing. It had the 04 spring. Left the range and sold it an hour later. If a gun don't run I won't have it. Never had a failure of any kind with my gen 3 19 and it was built after my gen 4.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:47 PM   #16
stmcelroy

Shot mine again today.

Zero issues even with the "03" spring still in it. Gobbles up S&B 115gr FMJ's

Leather & Kydex Holsters
Old February 6, 2012, 04:10 AM   #17
sigxder

That's the problem. Some work. Some don't. Some can be made to work. Some can't. Not like the older Glock warhorses I have. Rock solid after years of use. GEN4's a great gun when they work. Like the line from the movies "are you feeling lucky"??????
Old February 7, 2012, 06:09 PM   #18
rodfac

Just thought I'd respond a 2nd time...my recoil spring or whatever Glock calls it, in a Gen 4 Model 19 is 0-4-3. I bought the gun new on January 25th, 2012. Since new...I've put 325 rounds to date through the gun with zero malfunctions. Federal, Remington and Winchester bulk 100 pack FMJ's, and an assortment of handloads, from 0.2 gr below starting or entry level powder charges to max...zero malfunctions ... ejection distance has varied with the strength of the load as you'd expect, but it works...so far...every time.....

Hickok45...I bought this piece after watching your videos...your one heck of a shot, and your no-nonsense approach is almost unique in reviews...well done sir.

And guys, I'm a Glock hater...got this one for my wife's use out at Front Sight's Defensive Handgun Course in May...figured it would be cheaper to buy one ($445 + tax OTD) than to rent one and buy their overpriced ammo. I shoot 1911's almost exclusively...the only non-Colt in the family is Son#2's Beretta 92, purchased so he'd have a practice piece to match his USMC issued M-9. All that said, this Glock 19 is bombproof and accurate as my Colts when shot from a Weaver Combat Stance.

I'm not familiar with Glock Gen 4 issues, but I'm learning, if this particular M-19 is atypical, I'd be surprised. The police supply shop from which I purchased it, has had no problems with any of the Gen 4's they've sold...Just Sayin'.

I'm still not a Glock fan, but I'm not a 'hater' anymore...this gun is reliable...100% so far.

Best Regards, Rod
Old February 21, 2012, 09:58 PM   #19
Cornellouis

I recently bought a glock 19 gen 4 with a test date of 12-30-2011. I've put about 350 rounds through it. It has the 0-4-3 spring. Ive been shooting Winchester white box and getting 3-4 cartridges in my face/eyes per mag. 2-3 failures to feed. Pretty frustrating. Called glock and they said I had all the latest parts. Wish I had gotten gen 3 now. Disappointed.
Old February 22, 2012, 12:40 AM   #20
Will Beararms

In addition to the RSA, the Extractor (the metal part that sticks up on the left rear end of the frame has been updated)

On the 9mm guns it now has 30274 stamped on it. The old ones had 336 stamped on them. On the .40 guns it now has 28926 stamped on it and the old ones had 1882.

You need the combination of the new RSA with the New Extractor.

I used to hate the Glock 22 as far as how it felt in my hand. I favored the Glock 23 instead. Now with my Gen. 4, I favor the Glock 22----it melts in my hand.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:45 AM   #21
Crow Hunter

Quote:
In addition to the RSA, the Extractor (the metal part that sticks up on the left rear end of the frame has been updated)

On the 9mm guns it now has 30274 stamped on it. The old ones had 336 stamped on them. On the .40 guns it now has 28926 stamped on it and the old ones had 1882.
Ejector.

Extractor extracts the case from the chamber.

Ejector ejects the case from the gun.

Quote:
I recently bought a glock 19 gen 4 with a test date of 12-30-2011. I've put about 350 rounds through it. It has the 0-4-3 spring. Ive been shooting Winchester white box and getting 3-4 cartridges in my face/eyes per mag. 2-3 failures to feed. Pretty frustrating. Called glock and they said I had all the latest parts. Wish I had gotten gen 3 now. Disappointed.
One of the things Glock changed when they went to the new Gen 4 design is they "re-sprung" the gun. The older guns were more setup for lighter weight/pressure 115gr American style ammo. The newer guns are setup for much higher pressure rounds. WWB is notorious for being under powered and I have had issues where the case rim was a little thin compared to other rounds, which doesn't help the extractor hold onto it.

Try some 124 gr NATO type rounds or other higher pressure rounds and see if you have the same problem.

Another thing to check:

Does it do it with just 1 or 2 rounds in the magazine or does it do better on ejection pattern?

What I believe is happening is that the "action" of the gun has "slowed" enough that when using the lighter powered 115gr bulk rounds the next round in the magazine is pushing the fired case out of the extractors grip before the ejector has a chance to hit it and knock it out at the usual 2-3 o'clock position. So it is pivoting up slightly when the ejector hits it slinging it back at your face and you might be getting some stovepipes because the gun is recoiling into the brass as it is closing.

One last thing to try related to the idea above:

Are your mags brand new?

Try loading them up full and letting them sit for a while until the springs take a set. That will reduce their spring force a bit. Or try it with some older magazine that have be used for a while and see if that helps any.

If none of that helps, tell Glock there is still something wrong and you want them to look at it. I had one like that back several years ago (long before the Glocktalk hyperventilating). No matter what I did it would throw brass at my forehead and shoot about 4 inches to the left.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:11 AM   #22
Will Beararms

Sorry Crow and everyone else, I always get those parts confused.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:35 AM   #23
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Sorry Crow and everyone else, I always get those parts confused.

I call the RSA the RSD (Recoil Spring Doohickey) when I am talking to someone so don't feel bad.

Quote:
Extractor extracts the case from the chamber.

Ejector ejects the case from the gun.
This is the only way I can keep them straight.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:42 AM   #24
Uncle Malice

Quote:
i watched your gen4 g19 video, and not only was the extraction erratic, but you had multiple failures to eject.
In the original video, yes. After about 200 rounds it has been 100% reliable. There is a 2nd video of the gun with no issues, and he also mentioned that in the G21 Gen4 video... Hickok45 isn't one to lie about any issues.

Many reports of failures with the G19 Gen4 were within the first couple hundred rounds and after that smoothed out nicely. The double spring is a good bit stiffer than the Gen3 and can need a little bit of a break in period. If you don't want to shoot it through the break in period, you can probably rack the slide a few hundred times before taking it out. I usually do this with any new gun. I rack it and dry fire it a bunch to get used to how it feels before I ever take it out to the range.

Works quite well.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Billy Shears

For what it's worth, which may be absolutely nothing, my Gen4 G19 is now at 4,000 rounds still using the original extractor. No problems of any kind. I've really grown to like this pistol.