The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 25, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Aristides

Colt New Agent Talo 9mm: Jamming...Bummed Out

This past week I purchased a Colt New Agent Talo in 9mm. Had read lots of good reports on this gun. Immediately after purchase, I headed to my local gun range, which also has a gunsmith. Before shooting, he broke it down, cleaned it, oiled it, reviewed it's functionality with me, etc. I didn't really need the education part, but I'm always willing to learn something, and he was in a teaching mood, so I welcomed his mini-lesson.

I have enough experience to understand that some semiautos need a bit of breaking in, but I was still hopeful that this New Agent would be like my Berettta Cheetah and M&P 9c...never a hiccup from the first shot. Unfortunately, it was jam city.

Hoping things would smooth out after a couple of boxes, I kept shooting, and things did improve somewhat, but not completely. While shooting FMJ (Federal), every few mags I would get an FTF, and it happened on both of the two mags provided. The jams with my hollow points (Winchester PDX1 +P), were happening on almost every mag. After shooting about 200 rounds total, I packed up and headed home, deciding to do another cleaning/oiling and then try again another day.

So today I went back again. In about 50 rounds of FMJ, I think I had 4 jams. In about 30 rounds of the Winchester JHP, I had at least 5 jams. They all seemed to be of the FTF variety...the round would get stuck on or under the feed ramp. Sometimes it would be hard to get the magazine free to clear the misfeed.

Disgusted, I drove straight to the gun store to have them send the pistol back to Colt.

Aesthetically, it's a real beauty. It shoots very soft, even with the +P. I hardly notice the recoil. I bought this for summer carry in the pocket of my cargo jean shorts. It's perfect for that, drops in the pocket and conceals easily. It's too big for pocket carry in my business dress slacks, but that's ok, I didn't expect it to be that small.

Has anybody else had jamming problems with this pistol? If so, was Colt able to fix it completely, or do you continue to have reliability issues? I have several pistols, and I CCW all of them at various times. I won't keep a gun that isn't completely reliable...especially after paying $1,100!! I had lots of issues with my P238, but kept working with Sig until they got it worked out. Now my P238's (I have two) are as reliable as my revolvers...can't make them jam, no matter what I do. I'm hoping my Colt story ends as happily.
Old June 25, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Wildalaska

3" .45s are notoriously finicky. You must keep the heavily lubed and hang on for dear life.

Every jam I ever had in a 3" could be traced to lack of lube or limping it

WildthatsallicansayboutthesituationAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old June 25, 2011, 06:16 PM   #3
spodwo

Quote:
3" .45s are notoriously finicky. You must keep the heavily lubed and hang on for dear life
So it's the same for 9mms in a .45 platform?
Old June 25, 2011, 06:22 PM   #4
drail

In a 3 in. gun the slide is cycling considerably faster which means the round has to be pushed out of the magazine by the mag spring fast enough to get it up in front of the slide in time for a controlled feed. Most of the time these short pistols have feed problems it can be traced to the magazine. But not always, extractor tension and how roughly the extractor's hook was finished can slow things down also. I would try several different magazines and see if the problem goes away. If not then it needs to go back to the manufacturer or to a knowledgeable smith.
Old June 25, 2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Quote:
Ha! reading comprehension failure! *begins slapping himself upside the head whilst shrieking FOOL JERK BUTTMUNCH IDIOT*

WildignoremycommentsaboveAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old June 25, 2011, 06:54 PM   #6
spodwo

I was just wondering...actually I was thinking that it might be the same issue with the 9mm but apparently not.
Old June 26, 2011, 02:29 PM   #7
michael t

My agent shoots every thing I have tried I do wonder at times if some jams are not shooter induced . I have a Agent ,Defender, 2 officers and early Belview Wa. Detonics . No problem's ever .
What do I do different than others. Iam old school I was taught and still shoot 1 handed . Any one ever consider the little guns might not like 2 hand shooting. I have 4 of the little KelTec and I have had people shoot these one handed and their accuracy improved some with these little KelTecs.

Just a thought.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old June 26, 2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Coltman 77

I've got approximately 1,500 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp through my New Agent with maybe 4 FTF's.

Not HK reliability but pretty good for a 1911. Colt has good CS in my experience, they'll take care of you.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old June 26, 2011, 06:57 PM   #9
shanzlik

Some 9mm 1911 mags are less reliable than others. If you get it back and it still has feeding problems, try Wilson ETM mags or Tripp mags.

The Colt Defender/Agent in .45 is a solid 3". I haven't had one in 9mm, but my .45 runs very reliably with normal amounts of lube. You do need a bit stronger grip, but wih pactice it's not much more difficult than a commander or full size, in my opinion.

Let us know if Colt gets it working fo you,sure hope so. They have a pretty decent repair reputation.
Old June 28, 2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Madcap_Magician

I would imagine that the issue should be lesser for 1911s in the shorter 9mm chambering.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Don Glock

Quote:
no.

colt's three inch 1911's are some of the most consistently reliable in 9mm or 45acp. your situation is not standard. simply call colt, and send it in. it happens.
Old June 30, 2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Madcap_Magician

Also consider that many 1911s need a few rounds through then before they come right.
Old June 30, 2011, 04:20 PM   #13
markj

I got one in 45. so it may not be the same thing but I have had no issues at all, it shoots every time. I would send that one back as yiou have done and wait for it to come back.
Old June 30, 2011, 04:30 PM   #14
Mr.357Sig

Do you have more than one mag with this gun? It sounds like a mag problem. Did you notice if the FTFs were occurring with one particular mag?

That would be my guess. I'm sure the folks at Colt will figure it out.
Old June 30, 2011, 05:25 PM   #15
Coltman 77

So you've sent your pistol back to Colt, Aristides. That's exactly what you should have done.

What did Colt tell you? Have you heard back from them yet?

Since you started this thread, how about you give us an update.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA

Last edited by Coltman 77; June 30, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old June 30, 2011, 05:48 PM   #16
RickB

I don't like short cartridges in the 1911 platform. The gun was designed around a cartridge ~1.25" long. Virtually everyone I know who's shooting a .40 has a special long leade barrel so the rounds can be handloaded as long as possible, and every time a new 9mm mag comes out, it's the one that will put 9mm feed problems to bed. If they're still trying to make a magic magazine, 60 years later, there may be some inherent problem with short rounds in the 1911.
Old July 2, 2011, 05:49 PM   #17
Aristides

I'm the OP.

I have not heard back from Colt yet.

Yes, the problem was with both of the mags provided when I bought the gun.

Sometimes, an un-fired round would get stuck in a reverse stove-pipe position, vertical, with the un-fired round pointed straight up in the air.

Other times, it would appear that the unfired round would get stuck horizontally, sort of in the no-man's-land between the magazine and the feed ramp. A couple of times it was very difficult to get the thing un-jammed, because the empty casing was partially out, and stuck against the new round trying to feed, making it difficult to release the mag. Everything was just all seized up.

These issues were more frequent with JHP, but there were times when it also happened with FMJ (probably 4:1 JHP:FMJ:
Old July 2, 2011, 07:15 PM   #18
stevieboy

My default position with a gun that jams is to blame the magazine. I don't know whose magazines Colt uses, whether they are proprietary or aftermarket. I've had a couple of semis over the years that didn't do well at all out of the box. I've swapped magazines on them and presto! Problem solved. Obviously, in your case, it could be something else and my first thought would be the extractor. Another possibility, as several posters have suggested, may be a need for extra lube. I'd check the slide rails, too. Is there a burr on one of them that's slowing cycling?

In any event, sending it back to Colt is a good move. My guess is that they'll fix it.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:26 PM   #19
Aristides

Update from OP...Strange...!!

Well, this was a strange journey. I will share my story in some detail, as maybe others can learn from this.

I waited 3 1/2 weeks, and went by the LGS where I bought the gun. It's one of the largest gun stores in the area. I was actually there to help a friend buy a gun. While I was there, they told me my gun was back. Hmmm, why hadn't they called me to tell me the gun was in, as they promised they would?

The notations with the gun indicated that they had shot 80 rounds, of various brands, with no failures. 60 of them were FMJ, 20 were JHP. The notations stated that they had tested multiple mags.

I was surprised, and told the sales guy that I was not happy. I couldn't believe they had NO failures. He advised me to go back to the range, and be sure I was holding the gun with a firm grip. I told him that I know about limp-wristing, and I didn't think that was it, but I would try again with special attention to having a firm grip. I told him that I don't have limp-wristing problems with any of my several other semi-autos, and wasn't likely to keep the gun if I had to hold it with a vise-grip and my tongue twisted counter-clockwise.

So I went straight to the range, and wouldn't you know it, I had two jams in the first 8-round mag. There was 1 failure in the next mag, and 1-3 failures in each of the next few mags. These were with my carry JHP (Winchester PDX1). Then I switched to FMJ, and the jams were less frequent, but I still had a few. Somewhere along the way I switched to the spare mag. Things were running smoothly now. I went back to the JHP, still looking good. Eventually I went back to the original mag and my carry JHP, got through a mag or two with no failures, then bam, another failure! Next clip, bam, another failure. After thinking I was in the clear, it was a real bummer to have the failures again.

So I packed up and went home, feeling very disappointed with Colt and determined to make the LGS take the gun back and get something else.

But while unloading the ammo at home, I just happened to notice that, while stripping the rounds from the mag with my thumb, the ammo was nose-diving into the mag, and it looked just like it did when the gun was jamming at the range. After loading and unloading the mag several times, it was clear that the nose-diving was happening consistently in the first 3-4 rounds, but the last 4-5 rounds in the mag would then come out smoothly. But the problem was quite consistent.

Then I tried the "spare" mag that I was keeping in my range bag. When stripping the rounds from that mag with my thumb, all the rounds came out smoothly, no nose-diving at all. I loaded and unloaded the mag several times, no problems.

So this morning I went back to the range and shot the gun again with the "good" mag, and shot 3 boxes of my PDX1 JHP with not a single hiccup, it was smooth as silk. Also shot about 25 rounds of FMJ, likewise no problems at all. I intended to also shoot the suspected "problem" mag, just to confirm that it would jam as I suspected it would, but I accidentally left it sitting on my desk at home.

Driving back from the range, I called the sales guy at the LGS. I started out by telling him that I had immediately started getting jams, and before I could explain that I figured out it was a bad mag, he said they would send it back to Colt. I then said, no, I just want them to replace the bad mag. But I also said that I'm upset with Colt, because I just didn't believe that they had shot both my mags. If they had, they would have learned that one was bad. That's when the sales guy said that, actually, they hadn't sent it back to Colt at all, instead, the owner/manager of the store had done the test shooting. What???!!! They had kept the gun for 3 1/2 weeks, and not even sent it back to Colt?? What were they doing for 3 1/2 weeks?? I asked the guy why they told me they were sending it back to Colt, when they hadn't done so? He simply said it's their practice to test the guns themselved first, to see if they can replicate the problem, so they don't send guns back to the manufactures unnecessarily. I said, well, that would be fine, if you inform the customer that's what you are doing. But to SAY you are sending it back to the manufacturer, hold it for over 3 weeks, and then give it back to the customer...still pretending you sent it off??? That's dishonest. He didn't have an answer for that.

And if the test guy did shoot both mags, he must have just "happened" to have shot the JHP with the good mag, and the bad mag must have just "happened" to behave in the little bit that he shot with it.

I've bought several guns and lots of ammo from these guys over the past few years, and I've sent a number of friends to them, too. I'm on a first name basis with several of the sales guys, and have thought of this store as one of the best in town. But, for the foreseeable future, I'm done with them, there are other options in my city.

Meanwhile, I called Colt, told them about the mag problem. They said to send in the defective mag, and they will send a replacement.

Aside from my bad LGS experience, and with the "good" mag in the pistol, the Colt New Agent is great to shoot. The recoil is mild, even with 9mm +P, and it carries easily IWB and in my cargo shorts. It's beautiful aesthetically, too. I'll be keeping it!

Last edited by Aristides; July 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:37 PM   #20
Don Glock

wow, that LGS sounds shady as hell. obviously they took the cheaper route of not paying to ship it to colt like they told you they would
Old July 21, 2011, 11:44 PM   #21
RickB

If the gun was new, it wouldn't have cost anything to ship it back to Colt; they pay shipping on repairs.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:53 PM   #22
Don Glock

my friend paid to ship his colt. Guess it depends on who you get on the phone.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:37 AM   #23
Carry_24/7

Maybe it needs a 200 round break-in period...
Old July 22, 2011, 05:54 AM   #24
Judah Ben-Hur

That's pretty low and deceitful for that gun store to do that to you. Honest communication goes a long ways in the gun world and they failed miserbly. I'd only use them for a browsing store in the future. I'm glad you got it worked out on your own. Sometimes that is the best policy anyway.

My New Agent 45 has only seen about 200 rounds with Winchester white box FMJ but hasn't had any problems. My only real complaint is the beavertail is a little rough on my dish pan hands for extended shooting in a row. I did pick up a Kimber Ultra CDP II 3" that has jammed every 20 rounds or so.
Old July 23, 2011, 11:40 PM   #25
RickB

Quote:
my friend paid to ship his colt. Guess it depends on who you get on the phone.
Depends on why the gun is being returned, certainly. A new gun that doesn't run is Colt's responsibility.