The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
C0untZer0

I hardly ever hear about the S&W 1911

They look really beautiful, but I hardly ever hear them talked about on forums.

What do people think of them?
Old June 22, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2
BarryLee

I agree that some of them are very nice looking. However, at the risk of sounding like some kind of 1911 snob I just can’t get past the external extractors. I know it is probably a stupid reason and I have many other models with them, but just being honest. At the end of the day there are so many nice 1911 brands out there that we can all find just what we want and if we can’t we can get someone to make it for us.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 22, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Rob228

I've had their 1911Sc (I think they have changed the name to PD) for close to five years and somewhere around 8k rounds. I love it, it is simply an awesome little pistol, I've never had any kind of issue and it shoots better than I can.

I put a ceramic coating on the slide last year as the bluing was getting a little worn. I also blended the front sight at the same time, it had a sharp edge on either side sticking out of the dovetail. The grips are by Esmeralda.

Old June 22, 2011, 04:22 PM   #4
FrontSight

My buddy has one, and he loves it
Old June 22, 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I think they are well made guns. The external extractor gets a lot of people, but if you like the S&W 1911s, I don't think there is any reason not to buy one.
Old June 22, 2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Rugerismisticness

They're very nice, I haven't seen the new models though. I really liked the basic target model I shot, it was very accurate, but not the tightest gun. S&W really got the grip right, it just fits the hand like the newer and oldest colts do. Kimbers have odd angles and pointed edges that make it uncomfortable, as do Springfields and taurus (note the large flat section in front of the grip on a taurus)
Old June 22, 2011, 05:12 PM   #7
torpeau

I have a stainless one, but rarely shoot it. I guess my other .45s are so much more challenging so I shoot them more. My S&W is accurate and ultra reliable, hence it doesn't have to prove itself to me like the others do. Make sense?
Old June 22, 2011, 05:14 PM   #8
MidwestRookie

Chalk me up to the external extractor list...

I have nothing against them except that, just doesn't look right to me.

I think I read it's actually a more reliable design, but I like my guns to look good to me and with the external extractor I can't say that I'd be happy looking at it day in and day out.

They are good lookin besides that, tho..
Old June 22, 2011, 05:15 PM   #9
DiscoRacing

I have one...

... but I have never shot it.
Old June 22, 2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Billy Shears

Rob,

How is your aluminum [scandium] frame & feed ramp holding up after 8k rounds?

I'd love to own one just like yours, was playing with one at my local store recently, but was wondering how long it would hold up.

[More pix always appreciated.]
Old June 22, 2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Nitesites

I have a pre-E Series and it has been super reliable on every level. The "hardly ever hear about them" is probably a good thing.
Old June 22, 2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Rugerismisticness

I never bought into the whole scandium (the amounts are so small, 98% of the darn thing is plain aluminum) uproar. I haven't heard of any wearing out, but I have heard of many more aluminum frames wearing out than steel ones. I have also noticed that the aluminum frames seem to loose up more (especially in the slide to frame fit).
Old June 22, 2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Nitesites

Don't mean to steal the thread but would anyone have a suggestion as to whom would be willing to work on a S&W 1911? Been thinking about getting some work done to mine...
Old June 22, 2011, 05:37 PM   #14
jmr40

I have 2 that I have purchased used within the past year. I also have 1911's made by Kimber and Colt and have owned Springfield Armory, and Dan Wesson in the past. I think they are the best of the guns in that price range.
Old June 22, 2011, 05:49 PM   #15
spodwo

I have one - I really like it. Don't have an issue with an external extractor at all. A wonderful trigger, very reliable, highly accurate.

Yep. I looked at a lot of 1911 type pistols. Even a Colt but the damn thing had an ugly rail on it.

Hmmm - 1911 with an external extractor? Or a 1911 with a rail?

Ah so...
Old June 22, 2011, 06:18 PM   #16
C0untZer0

Do people not like the picatinny underside?

I guess from this side you don't see the extractor, but they sure look nice:

Very cool look either way:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg eser2.jpg (39.8 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpg sw1911e.jpg (63.2 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg sw1911e 2.jpg (41.3 KB, 611 views)
Old June 22, 2011, 06:39 PM   #17
Jamas

I think part of being a 1911 is looking like one. The external extrator is one thing but with the rail on it they look blah.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:42 PM   #18
Ichiban

I have a couple of the PD series (5" & 4.25") and have found them boringly dependable and accurate. If I were shooting competition or a boat load of rounds I'd probably go with the steel frame.

I definitely recommend them.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:56 PM   #19
zbird

I have the model 108283 sw1911pd, which has the 4.25 barrel. It is the best gun I own. Never had a hic-up.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Rob228

Threedogdad,

The feed ramp still looks pristine and I have not noticed any peening on on the frame, in fact with the exception of the new finish I put on the slide it looks almost brand new. I don't think it makes a tremendous difference, but most of what I shoot is 185 grain LSWC, pretty soft shooting. I only put enough of the hot 230 grain stuff through to ensure that it will function (it shoots 230 +p Rangers pretty darn well). I do imagine that if this was one of my higher volume of shooting pistols it would wear quickly, but with a little less than 1k per year through it, it is holding up fantastically.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:56 PM   #21
WC145

The reason you don't hear much about S&W 1911's is because they work. People have nothing to complain or whine about except the "look" of the external extractor or a little play in the trigger. They're accurate, reliable, good shooting guns right out of the box.
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old June 22, 2011, 08:13 PM   #22
FALshootist

WC145 is right on the money. S&W did it right. The guns work and they work well. People love to come to the web to bitch, S&W gave them nothing to bitch about.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:28 PM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm one of those guys that doesn't care for the look of the external extractor. That's purely a matter of aesthetics, though. I don't recall ever hearing that it didn't work like it should. I think they're good-looking, otherwise. From what I understand, they're very good in terms of fit and function. If I had the extra $$, I wouldn't mind having one myself.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old June 22, 2011, 08:42 PM   #24
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I'm one of those guys that doesn't care for the look of the external extractor.
I wasn't sure they served a purpose until I realized how much easier they were to tighten. I'd argue that the external extractor is one of the few "improvements" on the design that actually improves functionality.

I had one of the scandium-framed PD models, and I was very impressed with it. It was accurate and cycled flawlessly. Trigger was a hair on the heavy side, but was incredibly crisp and predictable. It shot very well.

I just didn't really care for lightweight commanders, so I traded it off at a later point, but not with any sort of prejudice.
Old June 22, 2011, 10:16 PM   #25
orionengnr

Quote:
I never bought into the whole scandium (the amounts are so small, 98% of the darn thing is plain aluminum) uproar.
Well, you I guess you never "bought into" the whole steel thing, either... you know, the amounts are so small, 98% of the darn thing is plain iron.

High school chemistry....Beuller?? Bueller???

Do a bit more reading, a bit more learning and a bit less posting. There are many alloys that only require 2% of an alloying agent to make a significant difference in the properties of the new alloy.

Research Wiki, etc, and understand what an alloy is and how it works.

Scandium alloys are much harder than their aluminum brethren. I had an S&W revolver with a Scandium cylinder and an aluminum alloy frame. The lug at the base of the frame (which on a steel revolver typically sees nothing more than minor blueing wear on a 20-30 year old revolver) showed significant wear on a low-round, 3-year old gun.

Okay, back on topic. I have a friend who owns, carries and regularly shoots his Gunsite Edition S&W 1911. He is absolutely sold on his.

I have my eye on the E-Series bobtailed Commander framed 1911, and will own one when finances permit (hopefully within the next year).