The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1
flashhole

Let's talk RCBS type shell holders

I have a new Lee Classic Turret press. It joins the ranks of a second Class Turret, a Classic Cast single stage and two Redding Ultramags.

I was setting up the new press to do 221 Fireball and noticed a misalignment of the centerline of the ram to the center of the case when the ram is in the up position.

I started looking closely and discovered my shell holder canted the brass forward a bit. Not a lot but enough to make it appearant that things were not squared up.

I put the same shell holder in my Ultramag, not as bad but still noticeable.

Then I started looking at all the Fireball shell holders, 4 shell holders from 3 manufacturers. They all had the same issue, not one was perfectly square to the ram. The best was the redding. The worst was RCBS (2 of them). Lee was pretty good too.

Anyone else seen this?
Old June 27, 2011, 01:06 PM   #2
PA-Joe

Here is a thread on Squaring the die.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=square+die

You will also find out that each manufacturer uses a different bench height on the shellholder which will change how much the shoulders get set back. Some will give you too much setback and others may not give you enough to chamber the round.
Old June 27, 2011, 01:08 PM   #3
TATER

Yes, This used to bother me a lot.You will see it in other calibers now too,
There seems to be enough play in the holders that It doesn't effect runout too much though.
I just added .221 fireball to my collection. Do you find that your gun is hard on the brass?

Last edited by TATER; June 27, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old June 27, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

I haven't seen it, but on the other hand I haven't looked for it either. I guess since all my cases go into the dies pretty well, the shell holders must be pretty square. One thing I did encounter though was an RCBS shellholder that measured 0.133" on the deck height, rather than the standard 0.125" like all the rest of my shellholders. I first noticed it because I could not get complete full length resizing for that rifle case. At first I thought maybe my chamber was cut extra short, but turns out the shellholder was the culprit all along. I have probably 15 other shellholders made by RCBS, Lee, Lyman and they all measured 0.125" except for that one. Once in awhile, something slips by the QC guy I guess.

Very odd that for your pparticular case that different holders made by different companies all have the same problem.
Old June 27, 2011, 02:41 PM   #5
flashhole

Tater - my gun in a Remington 700 and with my handloads it is not hard on the brass.

I have spent the last hour or so checking the other cartridges I load, 7mm Rem Mag, 45-70 and 25-06 with a bunch of different shell holders. No problems with any of these.

I wanted to make sure none of the turrets were out of whack. They all look fine with the other cartrides.

PA-Joe - thanks for the link. I know my way around a reloading bench pretty well, been doing it for more years than I care to admit but will admit that I'm still learning. That's what I love about this hobby. Always something new to learn.
Old June 27, 2011, 03:14 PM   #6
TATER

I have noticed it happening with .284 win, .256 win, 7mm08 and 300 H.H. Just off the top
Of my head.
Shooting an XP-100 with factory ammo right now, and to tell you the truth I have culled almost half
the brass. Headspace has turned out fine (won't close on a no-go) I have virgin brass ordered for it now.
Old June 27, 2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Clifford L. Hughes

Flashhole:

If you think that your shell holder is defective send it back to RCBS. If they find it defective they will replace it free of charge.

Semper FI.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC retired
Old June 27, 2011, 03:41 PM   #8
flashhole

Mr. Hughes - That's a thought.

By the way, thank you for your service. I work for a major defnese company and I am sufficiently fortunate that I get to spend a lot of government and company money inventing new ways to leave the bad guy lieing dead on the ground and help our guys come home the same way they left.
Old June 27, 2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Agree with Clifford's solution. You may get lucky enough to get a CS tech pick a good one for you.

Otherwise, its' time to get a Forster Co-ax press. The machined flat bottom under the universal shell holding plates is always parallel with the die holder slots (i.e., perpendicular to the die).

It occurs to me a lot of complaints about case heads not being square to the rest of the case body may be caused by the shell holders. I've found the identifying number stamped in the top sometimes has raised edges, too, that I flatten. It's not hard to set up the lathe and an inside toolpost grinder to square these little guys up, but you shouldn't have to. I also wouldn't be surprised if warping during heat treating is the problem.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old June 27, 2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Hog Buster

Affirmative on the Forster Coax. Been using the forerunner, an old Bonanza, for about 50 years. Never a problem and no need to buy shell holders.