The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2011, 04:04 PM   #1
TennJed

Any lube needed for lee deluxe handgun dies

Getting ready to load my first rounds with my new lee classic turret. I just wanted to verify that I don not need lube with the carbine resizing dies. I will be loading for 357mag, 38 sp, 9 mm, and 45 colt.

Is lube needed at any stage of loading with any of the lee dies on a turret press?

Thanks for helping a newbie out
Old June 19, 2011, 04:07 PM   #2
dawico

Nope, none needed. I sometimes give bigger rounds a little spritz of Hornady One Shot case lube to make resizing easier, but it isn't necessary either.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:38 PM   #3
tom234

carbine resizing dies ?????
Old June 19, 2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

tom234, translating skills required here.
Right, no lube needed.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:50 PM   #5
JerryM

Although not needed I also find that a squirt of spray lube makes sizing easier. I stand several feet away and just give one squirt well above the cases. It seems to get enough on them to make sizing easier without an excess. I never go to the trouble of wiping the finished rounds.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:52 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

I think he means "carbide" dies. I have found that giving the case's a spray of furniture wax reduces the effort in sizing. I use the cheap stuff and give a plastic bag with 100-150 cases a 1-2 second spray then mix thecases.

This is for carbide dies not the steel dies, they need more and a different lube.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7
TennJed

sorry i did mean carbide...typing on a cellphone and i am prone to error....also posted a questiojn about the rossi circuit judge carbine rifle at the same time and got a little mixed up....thanks guys
Old June 19, 2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Hydrostatic Shock

Some will say it helps but it's a total waste of time IMO. There is a reason the sizer has a carbide insert.

Lube may make it size easier but it's going to gunk up your dies eventually.

The only good reason I've ever hears to lube strait wall pistol cases is for the more aged reloaders that have arthritis or some other hand ailments.
Old June 19, 2011, 06:47 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

You will find that anything that makes the loading process easyer becomes a great help.

That's the major reason guy's use Imperial Wax for non carbide resizing, easy on and easy off.
Old June 20, 2011, 01:58 PM   #10
jhansman

I bought all carbide dies precisely so I didn't have to use a lube on my handgun brass, and thus far have never needed to. On my rifle brass I use Imperial Sizing Wax.
Old June 20, 2011, 02:47 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
Getting ready to load my first rounds with my new lee classic turret. I just wanted to verify that I don not need lube with the carbine resizing dies. I will be loading for 357mag, 38 sp, 9 mm, and 45 colt.

Is lube needed at any stage of loading with any of the lee dies on a turret press?
Not need on those cartridge cases. However, some lube will make the sizing easier.
Carbide sizing die manufactures however, recommend lube for .30 Carbine sizing despite the carbide surface.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:37 PM   #12
serf 'rett

Do you need to lube with carbide pistol dies? I don't think so; however, it does make sizing a little easier and I like "easier." I keep a can of the Imperial Wax on the bench where I can touch it with a couple of fingers whenever I start to feel greater resistance during sizing. The small amount of wax on my fingers is not messy and I've developed the habit of rolling the brass a little between my fingers as I put it in the press. Works for me on my small volume runs.
Old June 20, 2011, 06:50 PM   #13
CrustyFN

No you don't need lube. Try some without and then some with if you think you might want to lube. They don't seem to size hard enought to need lube on my classic turret. Also remember that most of the time when you add lube it has to be removed, why create extra work.
Old June 21, 2011, 10:55 PM   #14
Fullthrottle

I use the Lee brand lube about every 30-50th brass using the Lee Carbide dies, it is not nessasary at all, I find it just makes it smoother.
You can(I have) do without lube at all, that is the idea behind the carbide dies.