The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 18, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1
PParcells

Picked up my Coonan .357 today...

So i picked up my much anticipated Coonan .357 today...
As excited as i am/was to have such a neat toy, i have to say, im a little disappointed.

I worked out a few issues with customer service, and got a free mag and a hat, since my gun was about a month late, so thats not a big deal. and i received it before their 3rd projection date, so im happy about that.

But, upon closer inspection of the gun, i feel like the finish isnt really up to par considering what i paid for the gun. there are lots of little knicks and scratches, the portion of the barrel thats visible thru the ejection port when the slide is closed seems to have a pretty rough finish, the mag ejection is pretty weak, the gun doesnt like feeding JHPs on the first slide rack, even if i slingshot it, i'll know more tomorrow when i go run a few hundred rounds of assorted ammo thru it.

But im kinda bummed that i dropped a paycheck on this gun and have to go over it with some fine emry cloth or buffing compound. i had plans to modify it a bit here and there anyway, but still... anyone have a similar experience?
Old June 18, 2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Rampant_Colt

That's the bad part about getting a brand-new production anything; it's a routine learning curve, and sometimes there are certain little QC issues not addressed on early production models that normally wouldn't get past afterwards. Cars immediately come to mind.

I'd love to see some pics!
Old June 18, 2011, 01:35 PM   #3
9mm

This thread is worthless without pictures!
Old June 18, 2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Don Glock

Quote:
But, upon closer inspection of the gun, i feel like the finish isnt really up to par considering what i paid for the gun.

saw pics on 1911forum from another purchaser of this gun. the fit/finish is indeed disappointing.

coonan had a crack at the market before and failed, not sure why anyone would anticipate purchasing it. the poor quality build isn't going to work itself out by firing it. i would try to sell it locally unfired.
Old June 18, 2011, 02:48 PM   #5
PParcells

Old June 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Rampant_Colt

Many, if not most .357 Mag loads that feature SJHP (that's semi-jacketed hollowpoint) bullets will somewhat flatten the hollowpoint aperture on the feed ramp.

What's the recoil like compared with standard 230gr .45 ammo?
Old June 18, 2011, 02:56 PM   #7
PParcells

Old June 18, 2011, 02:58 PM   #8
PParcells

Old June 18, 2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Deja vu

That is too bad. I actually am pretty suprised to read this. I know my Coonan Classic now has some scratches from me carrying it and lots of range use.

As far as feeding that is pretty suprising. So far the only rounds that my coonan does not like is CCI shot rounds. They break open when you try to chamber them. I suspect a large (200+ grain) wad cutter would do the same thing. But I have never had a single issue with any JHP or SJHP.

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple

Last edited by Deja vu; June 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:12 AM   #10
PParcells

well, im off to clark brothers to pop some rounds thru this thing, i'll let you guys know how it goes...
Old June 19, 2011, 12:15 PM   #11
1911mag

PParcells you should return it to Coonan Inc. for a full refund.
2033 105th Ave NE, Blaine MN 55449

763-786-1720
We do not want anyone unhappy with our gun.
Old June 19, 2011, 03:03 PM   #12
PParcells

1911mag, I like the gun, I really do. I like the premise, the idea, the form, the gun is awesome as a whole. But I don't know if it's a quality control thing or poor execution. It's an awesome piece of machinery, but for $1300, I would have expected a much better fit and finish. The more I look at it, the more I notice small imperfections that just shouldn't be present on an investment like this. I plan to call Monday morning and discuss my concerns with whomever can help me work this out. I'm not so sure I want to return it, but I would like to make it right.
Old June 19, 2011, 03:20 PM   #13
1911mag

pparcells return the gun for a full refund. I spoke with you before. If you don't like the gun return it. I will refund your money.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:27 PM   #14
PParcells

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass or anything, but I've already purchased 2 holsters, and plenty of ammo that I can't exactly return at this point. Plus the transfer fee from my FFL... Unless you plan to refund my money for that too, I'd much prefer to work out some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement...
Old June 19, 2011, 04:44 PM   #15
torpeau

Quote:
I don't mean to be a pain in the ass or anything
Looks like a private matter that doesn't need to be on a message board.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:56 PM   #16
AKsRul.e

1911mag

"PParcells you should return it to Coonan Inc. for a full refund.
2033 105th Ave NE, Blaine MN 55449
763-786-1720
We do not want anyone unhappy with our gun."

So then - this would be truth in Advertising?

Old June 19, 2011, 06:40 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

I'd have to agree with that ad. Magnum autopistols are NOT for beginners.

Of course, I feel the same way about magnum revolvers, too.

OK, the gun isn't finished as well as the customer thought it ought to be, for the price he paid. And he's been offered a full refund if he's not happy with it. Is there a valid issue here?

It may have been a full paycheck, and so a lot of money to the buyer, but considering the prices of handguns in general today, and especially the higher end models, Coonan's are not hugely expensive. High end 1911s in the "mundane" .45 ACP run close to $2k, AND a quick check of the boards will turn up a lot of dissatisfaction with some of them!

Take the offer of refund, and buy something else (even another Coonan) if you are truly unhappy with the one you got. I've got one of the original Model A guns, and its not as finely finished as many other guns I own. It does, however, work, and that's what matters most, isn't it?
Old June 19, 2011, 07:30 PM   #18
PParcells

Trust me, this isnt my first gun. Nor my first magnum. Lol. I think its a valid issue. I mean, on the phone i was promised perfection and satisfaction. Like i stated, i love me some 357 magnum, and i thought this was my golden ticket. I want to give Coonan a shot to make things right before giving up and getting a refund. Im not an unreasonable man. Im even willing to ignore my couple of FTFs, this puppy just needs some polishing here and there. I dunno. We'll see!
Old June 19, 2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Don Glock

Quote:
pparcells return the gun for a full refund. I spoke with you before. If you don't like the gun return it. I will refund your money.
this seems to be the standard build quality of these guns, as shown by a few pics on 1911forum. are you prepared to either refund them all, start making them better quality, or drop the price?
Old June 19, 2011, 09:35 PM   #20
buck15

After looking at the pictures you posted I would truly be disappointed with the fit and finish for such a gun. I have thought that my next gun would be Coonan 357 auto, will now have to re-think that! Thanks for the post.
Old June 19, 2011, 09:48 PM   #21
Constantine

I'd probably just keep it..Seriously. A few dings...It gives the gun character. Now if it isn't shooting properly or looks used..then we'll think of a refund. It's fine. Don't worry.

Right?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old June 19, 2011, 09:51 PM   #22
ice monkey

Wow! Right off the bat I got to say good on the manufacturer to offer up a full refund for mere cosmetics! That’s not to say I don’t get the OP’s gripe, but if one wants a well finished gun at that price … well, Sig and Kimber come to mind. Getting a .357 Mag to shoot out of a semi! Well that’s just awesome!!

I wish I had your problem! Truly, I am jealous
Old June 19, 2011, 10:42 PM   #23
Deja vu

Quote:
Wow! Right off the bat I got to say good on the manufacturer to offer up a full refund for mere cosmetics! That’s not to say I don’t get the OP’s gripe, but if one wants a well finished gun at that price … well, Sig and Kimber come to mind. Getting a .357 Mag to shoot out of a semi! Well that’s just awesome!!

I wish I had your problem! Truly, I am jealous
I have to say offering a full refund is very good for a manufacturer. I didnt even get that from Sig

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old June 20, 2011, 01:02 AM   #24
Don Glock

is it me, or is the slide off center from the frame, and the barrel in relation to the slide......
Old June 20, 2011, 07:07 AM   #25
PParcells

no, its not just you. thats one of my issues. poor fit and finish. i can actually see my recoil spring thru the side of the gun... it looks like the slide even gouged the dust cover when they test fired it, maybe not, but there is a huge scratch on the inside...