The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old Today, 11:54 AM   #1
Polymer bullets

Any experience with polymer bullets?
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #2
The only ones I've ever had were the plastic wadcutters Speer used to make for firing by primer-only through a revolver. Polymers are, in general, too low in density to fly very far or penetrate very well.

If, instead, you meant polymer-tipped or polymer-coated (H&N pistol bullets, for example) or lead that has a polymer powder coat application, you'll need to specify it.

If you are looking at the PolyCase bullets, they have copper for mass, bonded in a polymer. Their GRX design takes advantage of the fact a mold is easily made to give you any shape. Will it actually do anything a flat meplat or truncated cone won't do? I'd have to be convinced. A bullet only completes a revolution once in multiple bullet lengths of travel. It's not like a spinning blade being slowly pressed into something, so the idea appears to me to be a large percent hype. Their .380 bullet only weighs 56 grains, so the density is about half that of a same dimension conventional bullet. This may create stability problems in slower twist barrels. I don't have enough information to tell.
Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Benefactor Member
Old Today, 01:51 PM   #3
T. O'Heir
There's no such thing as a completely polymer bullet. There are polymer coated bullets and polymer cased ammo though. And rubber bullets for controlling riots.
Spelling and grammar count!
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #4
Short answer, no.

But there is at least one manufacturer making polymer/copper bullets. See:

I will try some when I can find some.
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #5
I will clarify. These are lead bullets coated with polymer.