The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2011, 09:40 PM   #26
Ralph Allen

Check the pawn shops. I have bought quite a bit of reloading equipment at a local shop where I live.
Ralph
Old June 19, 2011, 08:09 PM   #27
Clark

I get a lot of stuff from Graf and sons.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 21, 2011, 08:40 AM   #28
MADISON

Cheap reloading equipment?

Cheap reloading equipment
www.ebay.com
reloading
But there seems to be a catch. There is more LEE equipment
than any other manufacturer.
Old June 21, 2011, 11:17 PM   #29
Kevin Rohrer

There is "cheap", and there is "inexpensive".

Check Ebay and the For Sale areas here and other loading sites. We can tell you if you are getting a deal or not.

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!" --Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
Old June 22, 2011, 12:41 AM   #30
Sarge

I don't have a source for cheap reloading equipment but I have accumulated quote a bit over the years by buying from private individuals who were looking to make a quick buck, or just decided reloading wasn't for them.

There are places to scrimp and places to not. Lee dies are cheap, by comparison, and have never been anything but top notch in my experience. Their low-buck case trimmers do a fine job. I've used their hand held priming tools to the point that one is on its 3rd rebuild.Their little 'Perfect' powder measure is usable if not perfect; it may leak a little, during use, with the finest of powders. It does throw reliable, consistent charges and that's what you want in a measure. If you're throwing big charges of stick powder, a better measure is worth the expense. I've got an old Hornady Deluxe that cost more, but is well worth the price.

Buy the best scales you can afford. I acquired an old Ohaus 1010 in 1985, from a fella I paid to do some work that he never finished. I don't tolerate those things very well and when I ran him to ground, he offered up the scale for the $25 of the money he couldn't pay back... best $25 I never spent. It must be 45 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything. RCBS makes essentially a repro version that sell for about 150 bucks.

Presses are hard to screw up and used ones are generally good as new.

Being safe, consistent and checking your work periodically will still make excellent reloads on old, wore-out equipment. Reloading is a lot like shooting in that regard. It's the Indian, not the arrow, that puts buffalo hump on the coals.

Tags
reloading equipment