The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 12, 2011, 03:42 PM   #1
EdInk

List of Service Revolvers by Department

I would appreciate any help TFL members could give me in compiling a list of which make/model of service revolver were issued by the various police departments. (I want to know specific revolver and specific departments ONLY.)
Old June 12, 2011, 04:37 PM   #2
kraigwy

The Anchorage Police Dept. phased out their Model 15s and went to giving the choice of Model 28s or Model 13s in the late 70s.

Semis were coming on the scene in the early 90s but I still carried my Model 28 until I retired in '94. The PD gave me my Model 28 when I retired.

When I first hired on the issue ammo was 38, 158 RN Cast bullets, cast and loaded by jail trustees, needless to say I carried my own reloads. Later they went with Winchester 125 Grn 357s. or 38s, your choice.

I don't know what kind of plastic contraptions they issue now.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 12, 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
EdInk

I've read NYPD used the Colt Police Positive
Old June 12, 2011, 05:38 PM   #4
hardworker

The VSP used to use the smith model 10. I can't say that they all used it but I know many did.
Old June 12, 2011, 07:25 PM   #5
roaddog28

Los Angeles Police Department before 1988: S&W model 14 and 15 or K38 masterpiece and combat masterpiece. Also the S&W model 68.
Riverside County Sheriffs Dept. S&W model 64.
Sacramento County Sheriffs Dept. S&W model 13.
San Diego County Sheriffs Dept. S&W model 19&66.
San Fransciso Police Dept. S&W model 58 and 28. Colt Trooper.
Santa Ana Police Dept. S&W model 581.
Santa Clara Count Sheriffs Dept. S&W model 19 and model 686.
California Highway Patrol. S&W model 67 model 68, model 19, model 28, model 586 and Ruger GP100,
These are the agencies that I am aware of in California.
Regards,
Howard

Last edited by roaddog28; June 12, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old June 12, 2011, 08:50 PM   #6
EdInk

Thanks Howard.
Old June 12, 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Prior to the switchover to semi-autos in 1993, the NYPD issued S&W M64's. Prior to that, I believe they issued M10's.

The FBI, prior to issuing semi-autos, issued S&W M19's and M65's with 2 1/2" and 3" barrels respectively.

The U.S. border patrol, at one time, issued Colt New Service revolvers in .38 Special while during approximately the same time period the New York State Police and Royal Canadian Mounted Police issued Colt New Service revolvers in .45 Long Colt.
Old June 13, 2011, 12:21 AM   #8
nick mcpheron

The Canadian Mounted Police also used the S&W 1917 in .455. But that was some time ago.
Old June 13, 2011, 04:07 AM   #9
Powderman

Chicago Police Dept. issued Model 10 Smith and Wessons for quite a while. However, they also authorized the Colt Official Police as a duty revolver; then, also authorized the Model 65 as well as the Python and Trooper models.

Incidentally, the 1911 pistol was also authorized for a while.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:35 AM   #10
JKump

Early 90s, Georgia Dept. of Corrections issued Smith model 10. Got the same gun, Smith Model 10 when I went to work with Georgia College Public Safety (1996). My current Department, McIntyre Police Dept. (we are in Middle Georgia) issues Taurus Model 85 ultra lite as back ups.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old June 13, 2011, 08:53 AM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
The Canadian Mounted Police also used the S&W 1917 in .455. But that was some time ago.
My uncle is a retired RCMP officer who occasionally helped with firearms training in the 70s and 80s. IIRC, when he started out, the RCMP issued DAO S&W Model 10s with 4" heavy barrels. These were later replaced by S&W M5943 9mm DAO automatics.

According to the book "The Hall Street Shoot-Out" by Captain E.R. Walt (excellent book BTW), the Dallas Police Department's primary issue sidearm during the 1960s was the S&W M15, although they also had a few Colt OPs in inventory. However, the DPD had a very liberal firearms policy that allowed an officer to carry virtually any personally-owned .38/9mm or larger-caliber firearm while on duty. According to the author, the most popular choices were S&W M19s or Browning M1911s, but some officers carried Colt Pythons, some carried .357Mag, .44Spl, .41Mag, or .44Mag(!) S&W N frame revolvers, and others carried 9mm BHPs or S&W automatics (presumably M39-2s).

Last edited by carguychris; June 13, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old June 13, 2011, 09:04 AM   #12
sandbag

INS

When I joined the US Border Patrol in 1976,they issued the Ruger Security Six or the Colt "Border Patrol",which seemed to be a Trooper MKIII with a different name.
Later,when I transferred to the Investigations Division,they were issuing Model 10 2" snubbies,although you could carry anything you were able to qualify on.
In the 80's,Investigations went over to the Ruger Speed Six,with Pachmayr grips and a 2 3/4"barrel.Great revolvers-they were rugged to a fault and very accurate on a practical basis out to 25 yards,and made a swell blackjack in a pinch.They were the revolver equivalent of the Dodge Slant Six engine.
Semiautos were optional at the agents' own expense in both the Patrol and Investigations.
Old June 13, 2011, 10:34 AM   #13
Andy Taylor

Sacramento Sheriff's Department issued S&W
M13 and M15 Sacramento PD issued M686 and M15
LAPD issued S&W M14, M15, M68
CHP issued S&W M68
NYCPD issued S&W M64, M10, M60, M36, Colt Official Police, Detective Special, Ruger GP100
NY State Police issued S&W M13, M28
Florida Highway Patrol issued S&W M28

This is not a complete list of weapons for these departments. Only ones that I am certain were issued by these agencys at one time or another.
Old June 13, 2011, 10:50 AM   #14
l98ster

My father was NYPD from the late 60's to the late 80's. He transfered both of his pistols to me so I can enjoy them (he is not into shooting).

His on duty was a smith model 10-6
His off duty was a colt detective special.

He told me that these were not issued guns. When he was a cop, there was a list of acceptable firearms that he could have purchased. These are the ones that he chose

-George
Old June 13, 2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Washington, DC, metro police prior to 1989 or so issued 4" S&W Model 10s.

US Park Police also issued the same, loaded with Federal +P+ 158-gr. JHPs.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 13, 2011, 04:12 PM   #16
bdb benzino

My father was an Oregon State policeman for a long time. They carried S&W 686-1's from the early 80's to the early 90's, my dad gave me his. After that they went to Glock 17 for a couple years and then the Glock 40. I beleive before the 686 in the 80's, they used S&W M-10's. Hope this helps.
Old June 13, 2011, 05:23 PM   #17
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
US Park Police also issued the same, loaded with Federal +P+ 158-gr. JHPs.
You can shoot +P+ in a model 10?
How 'bout the model 67?
Old June 13, 2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Glenn Dee

198ster is correct.

The NYPD did not issue service revolvers. They had to be purchased by the individual officer when hired. Depending when you were hired you may have been required to carry your firearm at all times after being sworn in. About 1973 this changed, and the firearms were released after the rookie attending the PAFTS course and qualification. Usually towards the end of the Academy.

The NYPD may have used colt police positives.. but that would have been a long long time ago. I've never seen one in service. Although I have seen the holster for one... Pretty neat. It was actually a pocket holster with a belt loop, and a security strap. The belt went through the loop, and the holster was stuck into the back pocket. Like carrying the little gun in your back pocket.

When I was hired the list for authorized service revolvers was...

1) S&W Model 10 4" heavy, or standard barrel.
2) Colt official police.
3) Colt metropolitan Mk III in .38spl.

The requirement was for an all blue steel, 6 shot revolver, with fixed sights, and a 4" barrel in .38 spl ONLY!!!

I chose the S&W heavy barrel.

Sometime in the eighties they also accepted the Ruger service six in the above configuration. Shortly after they authorized stainless steel guns in the Ruger service six, and the S&W 64.

With the advent of new hiring standards resulting is a huge rash of N/D's they began authorizing only DAO firearms for new hires... and wouldnt let them have em until the day before graduation. These dao guns were available, and acceptable in several different configurations. Either Ruger Service six, or S&W 64 in any combination of round or squair butt, 3 or 4" barrel... but had to be DAO.

And so it was... until the transition to auto pistols... And the N/D's began...
Old June 13, 2011, 05:59 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

"You can shoot +P+ in a model 10?"

Late issue ones (after the 1970s, I guess) apparently, because that's what my friend's service load was in his Model 10.

And, the old FBI load was a 158-gr. LSWCHP loaded to +P+. That load was fired in a lot of FBI model 10s over the years.

That was also the load that ended the Miami shootout in 1986, although Agent Mirelles (sp?) was firing them out of a 2.5" Model 19 at the time.

Old June 14, 2011, 12:01 AM   #20
ClydeFrog

US Army MPs/MPI...

Before the switch to the M9 9mmNATO caliber in 1985, the US Army MPs(military police) & MPI(military police investigators) used a few S&W model 10 heavy barrel K frame DA(double action) .38spl revolvers. MPI section investigators used either 5 shot J frame S&W model 36s or 6 shot K frame model 10s with 2" snub barrels.
When I went to the US Army MP School in AL in the 1980s, female MPs & MP officers(O-1 to O-3) were checked out on both M9s & 4" barrel model
10 revolvers.
As a teen, I saw a few textbook & DoD file photos of US Army MPs & a few USAF security police(SPs) packing Ruger 6 shot Service-Six/Speed-Six revolvers in SE Asia.
Old June 14, 2011, 03:46 AM   #21
Glenn Dee

Hey MIke

Yes model 10's can and did handle +p ammo just fine. As did the Colts, and Rugers.

Sometime in the late 70's the NYPD transitioned from standard velocity .38spl 158gr lead SWC to the same bullet configuration in +p rating. Then to the 158gr LSWC +p Nyclad. As I said I carried a Model 10 H/B as a service revolver. Although I dont remember the date there was a cut off in age for service revolvers, and some old timers had to buy new gun's. I believe there may have been some consideration for those planning to retire within two years.

However the department did make changes to what was authorized for off duty and back up use when the +p's became mandatory. Some of the authorized off duty gun's were light weight model 37, and 38 Smiths, Colt agents, and cobra's. These guns became unauthorized over night, and some officers were forced to carry their service revolver off duty, until they purchased new all steel ones.

I believe this was a pretty good laboratory for the +p round in carbon steel revolvers not marked as rated for the +P. Were talking about aproximately 70,000 guns over a period of about two years. It'd be interesting to know what the failure rate was.

Glenn D.
Old June 14, 2011, 06:17 AM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

Glenn,

We're not talking about +P, we're talking about +P+, which has even higher pressure than +P .38 Special ammo.

Old June 14, 2011, 08:57 AM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
You can shoot +P+ in a model 10?
Yes and no.

The problem with +P+ is that no SAAMI pressure standard exists. Since there was no standard, some commercial loads were a good deal hotter than others.

If a department successfully used a particular load in their guns for years- like the 158gr LSWCHP load references by Mike Irwin- all this tells us is THAT particular load is safe in the M10. However, this load could be a relatively mild one. This doesn't mean that all +P+ loads are safe.
Old June 14, 2011, 11:17 AM   #24
Slopemeno

Ruger Security Six/Slant Six

The revolver equivalent of the Dodge Slant Six?! I'm not even sure how to take that!! That made my day!

Should we refer to the Speed/Service/Security Six as the Slant Six Series moving forward?
Old June 14, 2011, 10:48 PM   #25
roaddog28

Personally I have not seen any boxes of +P+ 38 specials. But I know this. I use my model 10 heavy barrel 4 inch with Buffalo Bores 158gr LSWCHP +P which has a velocity of over 1100 fps in a 4 inch revolver. This round feels like a 357 magnum round when shooting it. I have had zero problems shooting it in my model 10. I don't know any factory load that gets close to this round. All +P rounds are wimps compared to this round. I believe any model 10 in good condition can handle many rounds of Buffalo Bore and have zero problems.
Regards,
Howard