The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Reloading die scoring/scratching brass???

Hey everyone, was working on 308 brass today, and my FL sizer die did this to the brass neck. Die is RCBS standard. Cases were lubed.

What the heck???? I have never seen a die do this to brass. The die is clean, in good working order otherwise.

Brass is Fed/Win/Lapua. Does the same to all of them.

What gives?

America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old June 12, 2011, 02:20 PM   #2
PA-Joe

I would send those photos to RCBS and ask them. Looks like the die was not polished.
Old June 12, 2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Tim R

O don't know the reason but have seen it before. I saw the very same marks on the necks of ammo Norma Zinmaster's husband had loaded for her 30 years ago. I commented on it. The goofed up necks sure did not slow Norma down because she still beat everyone. Seems like it was a High Power match.

Last edited by Tim R; June 12, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old June 12, 2011, 02:30 PM   #4
golfnutrlv

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

This die has been used a ton in the last couple years. Just started doing this in the last 2 weeks.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old June 12, 2011, 04:45 PM   #5
William T. Watts

Flitz paste/polish

Take the die spindle out of the die, affix cotton patches on a small wooden dowel, apply flitz paste on the patches, chuck that up in a drill motor and polish the neck of the die. That should take care of your problem. William
Old June 13, 2011, 05:16 AM   #6
Gregad

Scratched up die. Must have had some dirt or corrosion on the neck when you run one into it. As William suggested, try polishing it. You might get some of the scratches out of the die if you can live with a few. I just went through this with a steel .38/.357 mag sizer die that I used for years without problems. I finally figured out my son was tumbling the brass first (Old school) which still left corrosion on them.

I decap all my brass and ultrasonic clean them first. Gets rid of all dirt, corrosion inside and out. Polish them only for the looks now.
Old June 13, 2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Ideal Tool

Hello, golfnutrlv. I may be way off base here..but those "scratches" just look too uniform...Look like cut splines. Is it possible you might have picked up some range brass fired from a fluted chamber?
Old June 14, 2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Doodlebugger45

I agree with Ideal Tool in that the marks look way too uniform to be caused by some grit or corrosion that has suddenly appeared in the die. Thos marks look like they were caused on purpose by some machine. It is hard to believe the die could just get like thast overnight. I don't know anything about fluted chambers, but I guess that's possible.
Old June 14, 2011, 01:09 PM   #9
William T. Watts

Just found a fluted 308 case that the chamber was fluted body/shoulder/neck, if a fluted case is responsibile for your resizing die having the neck scoured then you should see the same thing on the body also, it isn't there. What I'm betting is the transition from shoulder to neck in your sizing die is boogered up, I think the flitz or some other product like JB bore cleaner will clean it up, I've had this problem before and it is curable/fixible! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; June 14, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old June 14, 2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Steve in PA

Contact RCBS. I had a die leaving a few marks on the case neck. They requested I send them the die, they did whatever it is they do to the die and sent it back to me, at no charge. I assume they polished out the die like the other poster mentioned.
Old June 14, 2011, 06:00 PM   #11
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
If you look at the scratches, they are not regular.
I have had several dies do this in the past.
William T. Watts has it right it's "galling" The worst combination is brass and steel it will gall ask any Engineer.
Take a wool mop with some Fitz polish and spin the mop at about 450 R.P.M.
Now we did a study in collage back in the 60s, and found you can polish dies all day long and still remove less than 1/10 of a thousand of an inch. but it will remove the galling that has occurred. Machining Brass and Copper is a nightmare when using HSS tooling and dies.
I use a 12 gauge wool shotgun mop and a drill press.
the mop will willing go through the die if you let it.
so hang on. I have used Brasso, White Rubbing compound, and car polish to acheave good results.
Now I use a carbide from Dillon and still have gone through two dies.

Best of luck
Ed5759
Old June 17, 2011, 02:37 PM   #12
golfnutrlv

Thanks everyone. It is a die problem. It does this on new brass, old brass whatever.

Will try polishing the die over the weekend, otherwise, RCBS gets the call.

Thanks all
Old June 17, 2011, 03:44 PM   #13
lll Otto lll

This is a common problem and there's nothing wrong with the die. You just need to clean/polish to get rid of the brass residue that was left in sizer die caused by a lack of lubrication. Here's another example that was reported on SnipersHide https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr...Number=1733863