The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 8, 2011, 06:56 PM   #1
gizmo688

1911 - Failure to Eject

I took out my used SA Loaded today for the first time. I used some crappy Monarch ammo, and most everything went fine. I shot about 9 8-round mags, but the last round failed to eject on 4 of the 9 mags. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

PS: Dont use monarch .45. The gun was cleaned right before I went out. When I was done, I spent 30 minutes and 2 dozen patches trying to clean the barrel and it is still filthy.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
scottl

What happened with the empty?
Did it extract it from chamber?
Old June 8, 2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Were the rounds getting stuck in the mag or were they failing to eject from the gun after being fired?

You said a used SA? What type of mags are they? Are they in good shape? I might be tempted to buy a new mag, Chip McCormick is reliable and not too expense, and give it another go with some different ammo.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:45 PM   #4
gizmo688

Got jammed in the ejection port.

I dont know what kind of mag it is. 8 rounder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2925.jpg (239.1 KB, 136 views)
Old June 8, 2011, 09:31 PM   #5
scottl

Post pics of gun and mags.Your not giving us much to go on.
I would guess you need a new recoil spring but not knowing which Springfield you have,don't know what to tell you to get.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Smaug

Cast bullet reloads?

Failure to eject = not enough powder charge.

The dirtiness is caused by cast bullets. The lube burns behind the bullet where the flames are. I bet it was smoky too, right?

Take up reloading your own ammo, and don't try to do it toooo cheap. It's not that hard to find a happy medium.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:44 PM   #7
gizmo688

I hardly believe it is a powder charge issue. That wouldnt make JUST the last bullet from each magazine hang up.
I saved my brass today. Already reload 30-06 and will being with .45 once i find some Lee dies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2929.jpg (249.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2928.jpg (251.0 KB, 90 views)
Old June 8, 2011, 10:23 PM   #8
scottl

Nice Loaded..

Since the gun is used start with the cheap route first.
Order you a recoil spring.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...806***16006***

I think Springfield's use a 16lb.

Check your extractor tension
http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/uncateg...-on-your-1911/
Old June 9, 2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Don P

Quote:
I would guess you need a new recoil spring but not knowing which Springfield you have,don't know what to tell you to get.
Kitchen table gunsmiths at it again change parts, change parts. Just try different ammo first. It may very well solve your problem. NOT ALL AMMO IS CREATED EQUAL. If a ammo change does not solve the problem then look into changing springs and I would suggest Wolff Springs. AMMO FIRST
Old June 9, 2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Mello2u

I suspect the extractor.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old June 9, 2011, 01:04 PM   #11
scottl

Quote:
Just try different ammo first.
That could be.But seeing how it's the last round in the magazine it's probably dragging the feed lips and getting caught.Which is why I suggested check extractor tension.I suggested recoil spring because it is used gun with most likely an unknown round count.A $4.00 spring change is whole lot cheaper than throwing a $30 box of ammo thru it and not fix the problem.

Gizmo
One good thing about it being a Springfield is if you cannot get it line out you can call Springfield.It has a lifetime warranty that for most part they honor beyond the original owner.
Old June 9, 2011, 03:51 PM   #12
gizmo688

I followed this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFoZPF2-FM) and my extractor MAY be too tight? Fast forward to 3:40. It really takes a violent shake to get my live round to fall out.
Does this warrant an extractor loosening job?
Old June 9, 2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Don Glock

Quote:
I suspect the extractor.
little early for that conclusion, since it only happened once with crappy ammo.
Old June 9, 2011, 05:18 PM   #14
dahermit

The cases indicate that they are being pushed by the slide into or through the magazine lips. The reason it is only happening on the last round is that when there is still cartridges in the magazine, they do not allow the empty case to contact the magazine lips. what is happening is, the extractor is loosing purchase on the case's extractor groove before the case makes contact with the ejector. If the extractor was not "dropping" the case, the extractor would kick it out the ejection port. Your extractor needs tunning or your firing pin stop is allowing the extractor to "clock" (rotate slightly).
Old June 9, 2011, 05:23 PM   #15
plumbernater

Being its the last round, do this and look at the mag. Put your mag in fully loaded,and work the action one bullet at a time. Each time push on bottom of mag to see if it pushes up. If the last bullet in battery lets the mag go up in the gun farther than the full mag its the mags. Had the same problem once.
Old June 9, 2011, 05:51 PM   #16
lcpiper

Something is happening. Drag from the magazine lips is possible. This is the last round, the slide should be locking open and it's not getting there. Instead it's extracting the casing from the chamber but failing to eject, and failing to lock, and the slide is then closing back up on the non-ejected casing.
Old June 9, 2011, 06:55 PM   #17
gizmo688

I failed to mention that when I was shaking the round out (per the youtube), it shook side to side very slightly. It doesn't seem to be resting flush against the back wall where the firing pin is held. Not sure if this matters.
I'll take some close up pictures in a few hours.
Old June 9, 2011, 07:25 PM   #18
scottl

It wont sit tight to the breech until it's in the chamber.
Old June 9, 2011, 08:15 PM   #19
bigghoss

I had this problem with my SA operator. the extractor tension is not set properly. call Springfield and they will send you a shipping label and fix it right up. improperly adjusted extractors apparently are not uncommon for them.
Old June 9, 2011, 11:59 PM   #20
45Gunner

You said the gun is used. Do you know when the recoil spring was last changed?

A 1911 should feed and spit out anything you give it unless of course your ammo charge is too low.

Before you go sending your gun off or messing with anything else, invest in a couple of Wolff Springs. Most 1911's function with a 16 lb. spring but as springs are relatively cheap, I would also order a 17.5 and 18 to experiment with each to see which gives that particular gun the best performance.

By the way, recoil springs come with firing pin springs. When you change the recoil spring, change the firing pin spring at the same time. And that is a great time to remove the extractor to clean it and the space it occupies. You will be amazed at the gunk that builds up in that small space.
NRA Life Member
Old June 10, 2011, 02:19 AM   #21
ranburr

Let someone else shoot it and make sure it isn't you.
Old June 10, 2011, 11:49 AM   #22
gizmo688

What are the odds it is the mag spring thats worn out?

From another site:
Quote:
If it's only happening with that 8 rd. mag it is almost certainly the mag spring has weakened and is not getting the last round up fast enough. A rough or tight extractor can make it worse, but if your 7 rd. mags work 100% the extractor is probably within specs. 8 rd. mags really need an extra power spring if they are used with a full 8 rounds all the time. Squeezing that last round in there overcompresses the spring. (and the follower) The 8 rd. mag is a design compromise. I have never had any problems using 8 rd. mags if I only load 7 rds. in them.
Old June 10, 2011, 11:57 AM   #23
robmkivseries70

Quote dahermit:The cases indicate that they are being pushed by the slide into or through the magazine lips. The reason it is only happening on the last round is that when there is still cartridges in the magazine, they do not allow the empty case to contact the magazine lips. what is happening is, the extractor is loosing purchase on the case's extractor groove before the case makes contact with the ejector. If the extractor was not "dropping" the case, the extractor would kick it out the ejection port. Your extractor needs tunning or your firing pin stop is allowing the extractor to "clock" (rotate slightly).

^^^ This, The extractor is not tight enough and the case falls while the slide is in recoil. Take the slide off the frame and push a case under the extractor from the bottom. There should be enough tension to hold it in place with the slide in it's normal attitude. If the case falls to far during recoil it won't hit the ejector at the right angle.
Best,
Rob
Old June 10, 2011, 12:21 PM   #24
Don P

Quote:
Something is happening. Drag from the magazine lips is possible. This is the last round, the slide should be locking open and it's not getting there. Instead it's extracting the casing from the chamber but failing to eject, and failing to lock, and the slide is then closing back up on the non-ejected casing.
HITTING THE NAIL SMACK DAB ON THE HEAD. I missed it too. Slide does not appear to be locking open after last round goes BANG thus smashing the ever lasting snot out of the case with the slide
Old June 10, 2011, 12:27 PM   #25
Carry_24/7

Crappy ammo + crappy/worn magazines + Ill maintained weapon = most problems from auto guns.