The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 6, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1
SCDeac82

CZ 712 SemiAuto?

Hi Guys:

Has anyone shot or owned a CZ 712?

The price is incredible.

I know they are Turkish...

Thanks!

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old June 7, 2011, 04:00 AM   #2
Rugerismisticness

What are you looking to use it for? It sucks as a clays gun, is average for hunting deer, and sucks for pretty much any high volume shooting. They break the gas systems and are generally poorly made, they're not going to last.

I would save your money and at least, bare minimum least, look at the Mossberg 930 shotguns. They have a good solid gas system and are very durable.

The used market is also very good. Look around for used beretta 390/391s, Benelli M1s are ok for hunting, other benellis for clays, Remington 1100s (not 11/87s) able to be shaped into whatever your looking for, and browning Golds/Silvers/Maxus/Win SX2/SX3 (all from the same lineage) are very good guns.
Old June 7, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
SCDeac82

Ok thanks...the CZ site showed them in Argentina basically putting the guns through a "torture test" type hunt on doves, but i guess that is just advertising...I'll try to scout for some used Berettas or Brownings.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old June 7, 2011, 09:25 PM   #4
metro424

I just picked one up and put 125 rounds through it last weekend. It shot well and the recoil is soft. Gun was 475 out the door. I shot bulk federal and it functioned perfectly, didn't need higher velocity shells to break it in.

Sure, its not the most refined gun but i don't have anything bad to say about it yet.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:25 AM   #5
pabuckslayer08

Unless your running 750+ rounds per year its fine, otherwise go with a Benelli or Beretta.