The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 4, 2011, 08:17 PM   #1
wildangel1955

GGGRRRRRrrrrrrr at my Glock

I have stripped my new Glock down exactly ONCE. Don't know HOW I got the slide off that time. I have my finger and thumb nails split halfway down to my cuticle. I CANNOT get the slide off once I get those slide locks both held down! I'm about ready to throw the dang thing. I KNOW I am only supposed to pull the slide back .12'" before I hold down the releases, but the slide will only go forward about a 1/2 inch more than normal with the releases down. WHAT am I doing wrong? I just got a new CLIPDRAW that I want to put on it, but I can't get it apart to put it on, let alone CLEAN it. HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!
Old June 4, 2011, 08:19 PM   #2
JC57

You have to pull the trigger (dry snap it) before it will come apart.

Be VERY sure you have triple-checked it to make sure there is not a round in the chamber.

Procedure is:

- Verify gun is empty (with no mag inserted, rack several times, look at it from the breech (rear of the barrel), check it with your pinky to make sure there's not a round in it.

- Point in a safe direction.

- Pull the trigger

- Now you can slide the slide backwards slightly, hold down the releases on each side, and it will slide cleanly off the front with no effort.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:28 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

One other thing to keep in mind. If you pull the slide back too far you'll reset the striker and you'll have to pull the trigger again.

Bottom line is that the trigger has to be in the rearward (fired) position to get the slide off.

As far as pulling the slide "0.12" inches back, it's not critical that you get the distance exactly correct. All you need to do is take pressure off the slide lock (disassembly tabs) so that you can pull them down. The slide lock will bind on the barrel and can't be pulled down unless the slide is back just enough to take pressure off it.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:29 PM   #4
wildangel1955

Oh hell NO!!! That made all the difference in the world. Got it right off! Thank you soooo much!!!
Old June 4, 2011, 10:33 PM   #5
JC57

You're welcome! That's what we're all here for.

If it makes you feel better, I had the same issue with the new Glock I bought last year until I went back and re-read the manual. I used to have one years and years ago so I thought I knew all about them but I had forgotten that little tidbit.
Old June 5, 2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Rugerismisticness

I don't get much easier than a Glock
Old June 5, 2011, 06:11 AM   #7
sailskidrive

Hmmmm

I just followed the directions provided by The LEGO Group. (Due to small parts, recommended only for ages 21 and up).
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old June 5, 2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
I just got a new CLIPDRAW that I want to put on it, but I can't get it apart to put it on, let alone CLEAN it.
As the law stands right now, the clipdraw you intend to put on it could get you in to hot water in the state of Ohio.

It's not an illegal device, but if you use it while in (or on!) a motor vehicle ("on" meaning a motorcycle) then you will be breaking the law just as if you stuck a pocket pistol in to your pocket with no holster.

The law on this is on the verge of being corrected... but right now, you subject yourself to being arrested and charged if you use a clipdraw in/on a motor vehicle.
Old June 5, 2011, 08:10 AM   #9
smince

I wouldn't use a clip-draw with a Glock anyway unless it was for chamber-empty carry.

You could try one of these with the clip-draw:
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/zac...ntholster.aspx

Still, with all this said, I found the clip-draw to be unstable in carry. That is, the grip tended to move around and not be in the same location for a consistent draw unless the belt was tightened to an almost uncomfortable level.
Old June 5, 2011, 08:36 AM   #10
wildangel1955

all so very helpful and informative

Thank you all for your help and comments. I did not know the clipdraw was still illegal in a vehicle. I'll have to reconsider the safety of the clipdraw also. I do have a new Don Hume leather pocket holster, but it's so stiff it's hard to draw the Glock out of it in my pocket. I keep trying to "break it in" but so far it hasn't worked.
Old June 5, 2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Southern Rebel

Quote:
Is this a comment on you dating morals (or lack therof) or just a mispelled word??
Old June 5, 2011, 09:25 AM   #12
9-ball

Quote:
Is this a comment on you dating morals
Is this a comment on dating random concepts?
Old June 5, 2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Haycreek

Glock takedown

Extended take down tabs are available from Brownells and other sites, sure saves fingernails
Old June 5, 2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Don Glock

^^yeah the extended ones do help.

as others have mentioned, make sure you don't reset the trigger by pulling th slide back too far.

also, i had an issue getting the slide off the frame on my g29 when i first got it, but went away after a couple disassembles. just gently push the back of the slide off, it'll be fine
Old June 5, 2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Nakanokalronin

I've been taking down Glocks the same way since my first one. Click this link, learn it and you'll wonder why people have problems with it.

I've never used my nails to pull the tabs down, just finger tips.

http://glockguide.com/disassembly/

BTW, a Glock does not need any type of extended controls. I'm amazed when people complain how hard it is to use the slide release, mag catch or the take down levers on a Glock considering it takes almost no effort to manipulate them.
Old June 6, 2011, 06:23 AM   #16
Sevens

I could see MUCH benefit from the extended tabs... I do not have them.

When? Not when I pick up my G29 and want to strip it. But when I want to strip it when I've already cleaned some other handguns and I already have grime, lube and solvent on my fingers.

It's at that point where the extended tabs would make a helluva difference.
Old June 6, 2011, 03:45 PM   #17
FrontSight

Quote:
I'll have to disagree: Doesn't get much easier than the Beretta 92 versions (push a button and flip a lever)
Old June 6, 2011, 03:47 PM   #18
9mm

Quote:
I'll have to disagree: Doesn't get much easier than the Beretta 92 versions (push a button and flip a lever)
+1 but I think the gun is a bit faulty as to you can take it apart while a round is chamberd(?). That just seams dangerous.
Old June 6, 2011, 05:14 PM   #19
9-ball

Quote:
Makarov, pull the trigger guard down...
Old June 6, 2011, 05:46 PM   #20
BerettaBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm
but I think the gun is a bit faulty as to you can take it apart while a round is chamberd(?). That just seams dangerous.
More so than pulling the trigger prior to being able to remove your slide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
It's not an illegal device, but if you use it while in (or on!) a motor vehicle ("on" meaning a motorcycle) then you will be breaking the law just as if you stuck a pocket pistol in to your pocket with no holster.
VERY good point here for any of you Buckeyes. It's a stupid law but one we all need to be aware of
- Jeff Cooper
Old June 6, 2011, 11:21 PM   #21
Mr. James

Follow the rules, and this isn't a problem.

"I didn't know it was loaded" is a lame excuse for putting an unintended hole in anything or anyone.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 7, 2011, 11:21 AM   #22
plouffedaddy

I'd say that the next time you do take the gun down you install an extended slide lock from Lonewolf, Glockmeister, or some other reputable Glock parts company. My girl used to have the same issue with her nails, now the the extended slide lock she has no problem.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:42 AM   #23
Constantine

Quote:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwnnnn.....

SIG

XD

Hk

next?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old June 7, 2011, 12:32 PM   #24
NJgunowner

Going with sig on this one as easier...

Lock the slide back, flip lever, release

But besides that, you sometimes gotta sit back and admire boards like this sometimes. Person asks a question, get a good answer, gun thrown through a wall avoided
Old June 7, 2011, 01:11 PM   #25
FrontSight

By the way, let me add: Remember to remove the magazine as well; the slide can get caught up on it if you don't...

Tags
glock