The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Nosparetime

Western Nevada 155gr 45 bullets

I was working in my shop today and on the back of my bullet bench I found 5 boxes of 500rds. They are Western Nevada West Coast Bullets. 155gr SWC lead.

I have never loaded this weight bullets for the 45. I went thru all my manuels and found 10 different powders listed with data. I am going to shoot this in my 1911's and want a full power load.

Has anyone ever loaded this bullet before. It looks a lot like the H&G design except the base is shorter and the tip of the bullet is smaller than the standard 200 SWC that I have loaded alot. The way its designed I think if you machine was set up for 200gr H&G design you would only have to change the powder charge.

My favorite powder for 45 is Clays. They show 5.2 grs.
Old June 3, 2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Gary Wells

I don't think that bullet is very popular today, but a few years back it was. Loading to the OAL of a H&G #68 mold might not leave enough land length in the case. Very popular IPSC & Bullseye bullet a while back. A google search should provide a lot of info. HTH
Old June 4, 2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Nosparetime

Gary: I am sure you are right. I probably got them when I was shooting IPSC. But never loaded any of them. I remember my number even though I haven't shoot IPSC in years it was #6399. I have a hard time remembering my cell number but that one sticks for some reason.

When I was first shooting everybody was shooting 1911 45's. When they started compensating the 45's they found a lighter bullet moving faster made the compensator work better.

Then the gun race started. 38 super ruled. Then the stages favored the 38 Super because of round count. Most everybody thought they had to build a new gun every 6 months.

I was married with four children and couldn't play the gun race and got discouraged.

Guess I will have to dig out my Comp Top End and blow off the Cob-Web's
Old June 7, 2011, 01:40 AM   #4
Nosparetime

Well I couldn't find my comp top end. Going to have to tear the shop up to find it.
Loaded a few rounds yesterday with the 155gr bullet. My machine was set up for 230gr Rn with 4.3grs of Clays. Loaded a few just to see if it would be enough power to work the side. It was but it didn't lock the slide back. Then I used 5.2grs Clays.(hodgden data) Functioned the gun well.

Now I am trying some VihitaVuori powder. I have 5 containers of powder (N3SL) that VV says they never brought into the US. Burn rate is one faster than Clays. Now I have to get my Chronograph working and work up a load.